Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Nissen fundoplication recovery for teen with Autism and Prader Willi Sy...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Nissen fundoplication recovery for teen with Autism and Prader Willi Syndrome

My son has severe reflux (which is destroying his teeth) which is treated with Protonix.  It is  still a major  problem for him. He is scheduled for a Fundoplication in a few weeks. Given that he is heavily Autistic and has an over eating disorder (Prader Willi Syndrome)....I know that we are in uncharted waters regarding his recovery. Any advice on what we should or shouldn't do during this period.  How soon can he start on solid food?  How soon should he go back to school? What problems will he probably have with swallowing at first?  Thanks!
There are very little studies looking at the recovery of Nissen fundoplications in autistics.  The recovery time, and when solid food can be eaten can vary.

If the surgery is done laparoscopically, recovery time can be between 1 and 2 weeks.  If not, recovery time is longer, on the order of 4 to 6 weeks.  

As for food instructions, patients are advised to eat smaller amounts of food at each meal, to chew their food well, and avoid chewing gum and drinking carbonated beverages.

These questions can be discussed with the surgeon or medical team.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
recovery will be much longer than 1-2 weeks even if he does have laproscopic surgery. I have had this surgery and it was 4 weeks before I was allowed to return to work. Mine was also laproscopic. Initially you are on all liquid diet for several days and then only very soft foods (jello, pudding, ect) for weeks. You can then try different things to se what can be tolerated. Bread and meats were the hardest for me to add back in to my diet.  The nutritionis at the hospital should talk to you prior to surgery and give you a diet to follow. Also his surgeon should give you advise about what type foods to try and when to try them.

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. My boy can't speak so I want to learn the range of symptoms that he might experience. The surgeon will tell me only part of the story