Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Nissen fundoplication recovery

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Nissen fundoplication recovery

2 weeks ago I had a laproscopic nissen fundoplication for a 4cm hiatal hernia.  I have recovered quickly from surgury and often feel normal, but still can only eat soft foods.  It is difficult for anything, even liquids, to get past LES and often need to regurgitate as I sense food unable to pass LES (not vomiting, more like bending over and squeezing).  While I was told 3 months recovery, I have not seen any improvement.  Often sense need to belch small quantity of air- no problem belching.  With great deal of patience I can eat soft foods, my stomach makes a noise telling me the food got thru OK so I can take another swallow. If I take too big a swallow things get backed up.  Was told before surgery that some people need LES opened up somehow if it too tight and wonder if I might be a candidate for that and what that involves, and weather a dramatic improvement can be expected at this point.  Any comments welcome and understand no conclusions can be reached here. Will see doctor in a month as scheduled now.  Just getting educated.
I had this procedure done in September of 1995, when it was a relatively new procedure.  I recall having a hard time eating anything for a few months.  I could look at food and I would be full.  I pretty much lived on liquids for atleast the first month or so.  Slowly was able to add solids to my diet.  With time this changed.  I eat what ever I want now.  Be patient and don't force yourself to eat too much too fast.  Best of luck to you!
I too have a hiatal hernia.  I am going to have an endoscopy and 24 hour ph testing done this Friday. None of the meds that they have given me have worked.  Did you have that problem?  Why did they finally decide to do surgery? I am very interested to know as I am wondering if I will also have to have surgery.  What were your symptoms?? Please if you could let me know I would sure appreciate it.  Thanks
munster- I decided to have the procedure because didn't want to have to take Prevacid the rest of life.  Prevacid did work ok for heartburn, but hernia also caused a bloating feeling sometimes.  Surgery was cheaper in long run also with my insurance vs. Prevacid.  You will have to ask later if it was the right decision, right now am pretty miserable- but was told recovery takes time.
I had the surgery almost a year ago for constant heartburn I suffered all my life.(am now 39)The heartburn is completely gone and I feel wonderful except now I am unable to throw up.I have felt sick to my stomach before feeling the need to throw up and it's just dry heaves.The Dr. did warn me this might happen though.It does take awhile to be able to eat solid foods just have to chew it up really good.Sometimes to this day I have a hard time but.......No More Heartburn!
Does anyone who had the surgery have a hard time throwing up? I sure can't.I also feel very bloated after I eat and it shows.
Enjoy the no more heartburn for now.  I had the Nissen Fundoplication surgery back in 1995.  My heartburn is back and is worse than ever.  Don't know if this is from Gall Bladder surgery in April or related to the Nissen Fundoplication.  Going to a new Gastro doctor today.  I'll keep you posted.
Gastro doctor says that he thinks the heartburn is from my Nissen Fundoplication coming loose.  Said he would not recommend getting the procedure done again.  Looks like I will be on Nexium pretty much the rest of my life or just get use to the heartburn.  BTW, the normal prescribed dosage for Nexium is one a day.  They have upped mine to twice a day.  And no I've not been able to throw up since having this procedure and I get really bloated and have terrible gas after I eat, no matter what I eat.
2 weeks ago had this surgery and food is getting stuck i burp a little and food and liquid come back up
_