Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Nissen procedure and Vagal nerve damage

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Nissen procedure and Vagal nerve damage
When the Nissen procedure is performed is the possible damage to the vagal nerve caused by the procedure not being performed correctly? or is it just a fairly common complication?
Making sure you have the most qualified surgeon can lower the chance of damage to the vagus nerve. Chances of damaging the vagus nerve is very low when the procedure is performed by a surgeon experienced at doing the Nissen Fundoplication procedure.
Is there a possibility to damage a nerve that would cause a stomach emptying problem when doing this procedure. What has happened is my Fiance' had the Nissen procedure done approximatley 2 years ago and now she has developed a stomach emptying problem a form of Motility is what her doctor said. He said that this was caused by the original surgery. I am not sure which nerve he believes is damaged he is suppose to call me back sometime today his nurse said. They are looking into putting a pacemaker onto her stomach to help solve this problem.
A related discussion, GERD SURGERY was started.