Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
No Gallbladder....but still having the symptoms!

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I have had my gall bladder out for years!  But the past 3 years I have had upper quaudrant pain....gas.....and bouts of vomiting.  The upper quaudrant pain also radiats to and down my back....so called flank pain.  Since it was flank pain my GP thought it may have to do with my kidneys....but all checked out ok.  I went to a Gastro...he ran an upper GI...and 2 scopes...and nothing.  Then he just wrote me off as a nut case.  But this pain still continues...I get bloated and gassy just thinking about food....even before I eat sometimes.  And I get upper right quadrant pain...with horrible bouts of vomiting.  Just like I did when I had gall stones.  Any Ideas??   Cindy
Have your GI do tests for lipase and amalayse levels.  Could be your pancreas.  They tend to over look this organ.  Also avoid fried, fatty foods and do not drink alcohol.  See if this makes any difference.  
Good luck to you.
Sandy
I just read up on the gallbladder because my doctors have found that mine is non functioning. I read that after it is taken out you can have what is called biliary dyskinesia or postcholectomy syndrome which refers to the ducts or muscles around where the GB used to be. Go see a specialist! I think you may still have a problem ...maybe with the ducts around the GB, or muscles.....sincerely Lisa
This is Lisa again...
here is a link to a site to research the topic "postcholecystectomy" referring to my last comment so you can read about the condition yourself and can tell your doctor!

http://www.reginadoctor.delpch.htm

I also found information at the John Hopkins Medical Institute
Link: http://www.hopkins-gi.org/index.htm
then click on "search"
then type in " postcholecystectomy"

Hope you find this helpful....sincerely Lisa
Dear Cindy,

I agree with Sandy's advice. Also, look at my comment (and the others) that I posted as a response to "What do I do now?", by "Brandee" on 9/15/2001. This may give you ideas to ask your doc about!!! (One of these ideas is that one can still get gallstones after gall bladder removal, in some cases!!)

I hope you get it figured out, properly treated, and I hope you feel better soon! You may need an expert doc to help you sort out all the different possibilities of what's happening.

Good luck.
Sincerely, Concerned lady

***@****
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com