Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
No Spleen

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

No Spleen
Good day. Need any info on immune system on tx when you don't have a spleen. had a splenectomy 30 yrs ago after a car wreck...had to have multible transfusions to stay alive. Anyway, thats when I got infected with HCV. Recently found out about my hep c, so now I've started tx...2/48. I know tx affects your immune system, so I'm worried how it will affect mine without a spleen. My numbers are also high...geno 1a, vl 6.4 million. My bx showed stage 4 cirrhosis, Stage A...no symptoms, mild activity.

Other than that I'm a 50yr woman in pretty good health...for now. I haven't had any sx yet. Pegasys/copegus. Although, it seems I have symptoms of what I was told would be sx, (aches, tired, and recently hair falling out), except it all started BEFORE tx, but nothing that stops me. I work full time as a LPN in a hospital setting,(that worries me too...germs), and I look pretty good and healthy...looks can be deceiving.

Sometimes it feels like this is the calm before the storm. Hope not. Also, what is the prognosis for someone like me.

Thank you, Sylv

It is true that the treatment with peginterferon (Pegasys) does cause a suppression of the immune system.  

However, I am not aware of a specific contraindication in those without a spleen - however, you may want to discuss this with your personal gastroenterologist.

As for the prognosis, that would depend on the ALT levels within the first 8 to 16 weeks of treatment.  Another prognostic sign is whether there is loss of the HCV-RNA.  A sustained response would be an undetectable HCV-RNA after 6 months.  

These considerations should be discussed with your gastroenterologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b