Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Non-stop stomach pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Non-stop stomach pain

I'm a 38 yo female who has experienced stomach pain for about 5 weeks. It is a constant, 24-7 dull ache, accompanied by this sensation of pressure.  It feels uncomfortable to sit up & up to the last couple of days, I preferred lying. I have some URQ discomfort, but also some tweaks in the left side. This has been accompanied by bilateral flank in my pain, as well as some tender areas along the bottom of my ribs all the way around. The sense of vague nausea & loss of appetite made me lose about 12 lbs.  I have generalized anxiety order which was under control & off meds since march, but has increased overwhelmingly due to symptoms over this time. About the time this started, I was losing my health ins. & trying to shop for another--I wonder how much anxiety had to do with this. My labs have been negative. Stools fairly normal. I had an abdominal ultrasound & pelvic u/s last week, both normal. I had a neg colonoscopy about 15 months ago. I have an upper endo scheduled. I'm on day 5 of a 7 day course of Flagyl in case it was giardia.  I understand that is one of the drugs used with h pylori treatment. Interestly, in the last couple of days, I have been doing even more relaxation techniques, taking max strength pepto bismol every 6 hours, and started Nexium during the day--still woke up sick & anxious.  When I took it before bedtime, I felt much better the last two mornings. I do not have heartburn or reflux that I can sense.  Can ulcer cause all this? Can GERD be "silent"?  Anyone ever have pressure/ "internal" pulling sensations? Can anxiety really magnify symptoms? Thx!
1 Comment
I am a 40 yr. old female and have experienced similar symptoms for many years. I also have anxiety disorder. Please do not let physicians convince you that this is from anxiety until you have had a complete and thorough GI examination. This past weekend I had severe right upper quadrant pain. I also had generalized abd. pain and pain that felt like a band around my ribs and back. This lasted approx. 7 hrs. I had an abd ultrasound yest. and they found my gallbladder to be "full" of stones. I had a negative abd. ultrasound 1 yr ago! This time they only focused on the RUQ and they saw them. I see a surgeon next week. If your anxiety is well controlled/treated then I don't think  every "odd" ache or pain should just be attributed to anxiety.
Good Luck
I have had spasms in my upper abdomen and oesophagus for about 6 yrs now.  I have had a cholecystectomy last year but it didn't seem to help that.  I was wondering if anyone is experiencing the same symptoms and what we can do about it.  They get worse at night and wake me up.  I usually have to put an ice pack on my stomach to be able to return to sleep.  I am deprived of sleep because of this problem but doctors do not seem to know what is causing the problem.  Please help!!
Having the same problem, for 5 weeks now, initial diag. was GERD, but Protonix didn't stop the pain, liver enzymes were good, I am anemic, upper endoscopy was negative, and had ultra-sound today, will have to wait a few days for the results.  My gallbladder was removed in '79, but the pain is almost like that, going thru to the back, and shoulder blade, then around the ribs to the front.  Sitting forward, arms and head on knees seems to help some, and Vicodin takes the edge off the pain.  Any other diagnosis ideas from the visitors?
Thank you for your responses.  As an update, my upper endo showed focal esophagitis at the GE junction and diffuse gastritis. I've been on Nexium for 2 weeks, with the last week being upped to 40 mg. I have to say....it still feels about the same. :>(  I had a HIDA scan yesterday & it was normal. My H Pylori was negative. I can eat more, but still get nauseated. At least I didnt lose any more weight this week. I truly wonder if my body (anxiety) is still damaging my stomach in spite of acid being blocked.  It's interesting to see that someone else gets that "banded" feeling around ribs. There are a couple of points on both sides of my lowest ribs on the sides below my waist that are particularly tender.
Linda, did they tell you why you were anemic?