Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Occasional black spots on stool. Some bloating.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hello

I am male, 33 Y old, Asian background. 90Kg weight 169cm height, I do have hemorhoids but havent sought treatment.

It has been about 3 days that I noticed black spots on my stools. Not all of the stools that went down to the toilet bowl has black spots. ( The spots may be less on the other stools that I didnt notice).

The color of the stools are yellow, pale. Its like whitish kind of yellow...its hard to describe. I did take mylanta in the past 2 days. It may be the cause of the palish color on the stool...so I heard...

I;ve been taking fibre diets about 2 weeks ago (just started), I take oatmeal in the morning and metamucil in afternoon and evening.

I feel bloating and full. And sometime i feel discomfort on my lower left tummy, like cramps but it doesnt hurt. Some sensation (pushing or cramping sensation)

My previous stool before taking this fibre diet looked soft and floating and dark brown in color. (thats why I am taking more fibre now as I like red meat and hot chilli food)

FYI, I dont think I am loosing my apetite, my weight has been steady from 87-90 kg range.

I am taking multi vitamins tablet and also lactobacillus acidophilous (in form of capsuls) 1 a day if I  remember =)

I am now very scared because I read that colon cancer has the same symptom.

When I was overseas few years ago, I had this cramping sensation on the same position and doctor gave me antibiotics and mylanta. And the problem had gone.

But I do still have some bloating and sometime passing wind alot.

What happen to me??
Any possibility of blood in the stool needs to be followed up with a lower endoscopy - either a flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy.  Although colon cancer is uncommon in your age group, it still is possible and needs to be ruled out.

Pale stools can be indicative of biliary tree blockage.  Blood tests to evaluate the liver enzymes, as well as radiology studies like an abdominal ultrasound or MRCP can be done to further evaluate this.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com