Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Odd colors and textures of diarrhea!!

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Odd colors and textures of diarrhea!!

Can someone tell me what different colors represent in the stool? Sometimes I have movements that are solid but can be light brown to almost a mustard color or even a light white color!?  I have these colors even if the movement is solid or expoplosive/watery! I have been having uncontrolable watery diarrhea on and off for years but I Thought I had it under control until last week when I didn't make it to the toilet!  I have basically stopped eating and have started to take physcillum.  I have not had the watery diarrhea for the past 2 week and my stool is formed but soft (not pure water).  The color has gone from dark brown to light brown to a mustard color and today it looks grey but it is still formed. I did make another movement after that grey movement but it seems to be going back to light brown.  Any ideas?
you need to see a  gastro/digestive specialest this is not normal bowel habits.is there pain under your right or left rib ? is there pain in the lower right or left area near the pelvic area ? last but not least are you seeing any blood in the stool ?
Yes, in addition to different colors, I have pain on or rather in the left rib bone but I do not have anu other pains or blood on my stool.  What does the pain in the last left rib bone mean?
In addition to an array of colors of different stools, the only pain I have is in the last left rib.  What do you think that is?
i was thinking it could be pancreitis but i read some upon the symptoms and it does not seem to fit your symptoms .(pancreious is on the left upper side )also i checked under gallbladder and again it does not fit your symptoms(plus you said the pain was on the left and the gallbladderis on your right .that does not mean it is not the case because some people have different symptoms that confict with others but may still have the same medical problem .you may have diverticulitis or some other digestive problem i would sugest you see a gastro /digestive specialest asap .i do not want to guess work your health. you are having some serious symptoms and you need to see a doctor .god bless and make a appointment now!!!!!!!
As I was looking for info on Hep C online yesterday, I read that light-colored stools (especially white) are almost always a sign of a problem.  I can't remember the specific problem that was listed as a main source for this symptom, but I specifically remember that this website said to SEE YOUR DOCTOR.  I will update you if I run across this info again!
I AM A HEP C PATIENT I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS SYMPTOM PLEASE INLIGHTEN ME IF YOU RUN ACROSS IT AGAIN.I AM CURIOUS AS TO WHAT IT MIGHT BE I HAVE DONE A  CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF READING UPON HEP.C AND THIS IS THE FIRST I HAVE HEARD OF THE WHITE STOOL ISUE OR SYMPTOM.
I can't find where I originally read this bit of info during my search on Hep C, but I just came across a comment here on this website.  It was posted on "The Maternal and Child Health Forum" by Tamara on Thursday, July 23, 1998.  I also found this info on
Try this address, which I used my "Edit" to copy on that page:  http://www.medhelp.org/perl6/maternal/archive/558.html
I also came across similar info tonight on http://thriveonline.oxygen.com/medical/library/article/003129.htm
Sorry if this info isn't of any help to you!  Good luck with everything!

thanks chrysti i will take a look at the info .you can never have to much knowledge when you are as messed up as i am .  it seems i get one problem fixed and another one pops up .but i am a fighter and i will beat every one. that frame of mind is what helps me to  get through all of this .so thanks again for the info .god bless
Just curious if Greystone ever went to the doctor for the
pain in left rib/stool color problem?  I have similar symptoms and would love to know what the doctor had to say!