Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Oddi Sphincter Disorder Physician

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Oddi Sphincter Disorder Physician
Help, I’m desperate!  Can anyone help me locate a physician in the Sacramento, California area that has knowledge and expertise in biliary dyskinesia and oddi sphincter disorder?

I have had both a sonogram and a hida-scan and NO gall stones were found and I had a 14% ejection rate.  My doctor is a family physician and has no idea of what I’m talking about when I complain of reoccurring and constant pain in my RUQ.  I have had to deal with this problem for the past 2-1/2 years and I’m so depressed because my doctor is not able to help me, and the gastroenterologist he sent me to just wants to remove my gall bladder and call it fixed.  

Surgery does not work for me.  I need a physician who is able to treat my pain problem in my RUQ, not remove my gall bladder and hope it gets better.

PLEASE HELP, I can barely tolerate the pain anymore.

***@****
Unfortunately, I am not aware of specific physicians in California.  

I agree that some small studies suggest that removing the gallbladder can help in cases of low gallbladder ejection fraction.  However, the results aren't guaranteed and this may not help in the end.

I would consider going to an academic medical center for another opinion.  If Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction is suspected, an ERCP with Sphincter of Oddi manometry can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com