Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Off colored bowel movements
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Off colored bowel movements

Dear Doctor,
  For the last week or more, my bowel movements have been tan in color.  What could be the possible cause of this?  I do have a history of Pancreatitis from an ERCP, with periodic flares.  I also have Endometriosis that has been found and excised from the Cecum and Sigmoid Colon.
  Thank you for any information you can provide.  I appreciate this very much.
  Robin
Tan stools may not have any significance.  We do know, however, that pale clay-colored stools are often the result of inadequate bile flow into the duodenum which can be due to bile duct obstruction.  In your case, bile duct obstruction could theoretically be the reult of scarring in the pancreas (from the pancreatitis) obstructing the bile duct.  If this was the explanation you would have jaundice and dark colored urine in addition to pale stool.  If you are concerned by the problem, see your doctor.
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Always consult your personal physician for specific medical questions.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: stool, bile duct obstruction, pancreatitis