Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Oily Stools?
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Oily Stools?

This is a question I am way to embarrassed to ask my own physician about face to face.  On occasion, I have bouts of Oily Stools.  It leaves oil slicks around the water in the bowl.  Does it always mean that you have pancreatitis?  Couldn
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
Possible causes can include chronic pancreatitis as well as malabsorption.  Tests to evaluate this would be sending the stool off for fecal fat tests.  Another test for malabsorption would be a blood test looking for celiac disease.

Pancreatitis can be evaluated via blood pancreatic enzymes - such as amylase and lipase.  Imaging studies can also be used to evaluate for pancreatic calcifications (suggestive of chronic pancreatitis).  

If negative, I would consider a colonoscopy for further evaluation.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
0 Comments
Blank
I did have an ultrasound of the liver/pancreas region that came out fine.  

Do you think this could possibly be from the high doses of Fish Oil I have been taking.  I mean, the oil has to come out somehow right?
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979