Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Old appendix scar
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Old appendix scar


I had an appendix operation more than 30 years ago. And now the scar seems to give my some bothering symptons.

Under the scar (running along it) theres seems to be some hard "tissues" and I have a feeling of pressure and discomfort in the area. Especially if i wear tight close or I bent forward. It also seems to be a little sore.
Actually it also seem that the area on the right lower side as asymmetrical compared to the left side.
I had an abdominal CT scan that showed nothing but Ive heard that a possible scar tissue problem or scar hernia can not be seen on a CT scan.
Otherwise i'm healthy and have no gastro problems.

1) can my symptons be due to the old scar?
2) is it normal that an old scar has hard tissue beneath it?
3) could this tissue or a hernia cause the symptons?
4) and what should I do from here

Thanks in advance
Related Discussions
233190 tn?1278553401
To answer your questions:
1) It may be possible that the symptoms can be related to the old scar.  

2) Yes, it is possible that a scar can have hard tissue beneath it.

3) Either can be the cause of the symptoms.  A second opinion by a surgeon can determine whether a hernia is present.  If there is evidence of a scar, sometimes injections of corticosteroids can be of help.  

4) As mentioned above, a second surgical opinion is recommended.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
1 Comment
Avatar n tn
It could be a hernia: a CT scan is good if it shows one, but if it doesn't, it could still be there. I'd suggest seeing a general surgeon for his/her opinion
Continue discussion Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now