Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Ongong pain/tenderness on my left side on line with my navel

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am a 50 year old male. For about 2 days now I have this ongoing pain/tenderness on my left side, almost directly on line with my navel. The spot is quite specific and tender and is located almost exactly on my fleshy left side (as opposed to the lower left abdomen region). My two bowel movements today (one in the AM and one in the PM) were normal and quite large, so I cannot imagine this is a blockage of any kind? Within the last hour or so I feel gurgling around that area and a pressure resembling needing another bowel movement, but when I sit on the toilet massive gas explosions occur. And at that moment the pain is excruciating for a few seconds. Then the pain dissipates but all day I was aware of it; especially when I stood up and started walking from my desk. It would feel extremely raw and tender in that spot and then lessens and comes back throughout the day. It does not feel like it is radiating anywhere; meaning I have no back pain...it seems quite localized but very strong at times. And I have no pain urinating either. No nausea, no vomiting, normal appetite ... just this weird pain that hits and then subsides all day long; but never really disappears.
Surgeon has kindly addressed you question in his comments below and I agree with his assessment.

Certainly diverticulitis is a possibility.  An abdominal CT scan should be able to diagnose this.  Treatment for this condition would involve antibiotics.

If the CT scan is negative, you may want to consider some sort of endoscopy - either flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy - for further evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
The location, and your age are consistent with diverticulitis, an infection involving the colon. If that's what it is, it needs treatment with antibiotics, and can become dangerous if not treated. No online answer is any more than a guess, and can't really be accurate absent the ability to examine and/or do tests. You need to contact your doctor!
A related discussion, pain and tenderness left side was started.
A related discussion, painful hardness on the left side of navel was started.