Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Orange oil substance with stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Orange oil substance with stool
I have been noticing an orange oily substance with my stool. The oil is more like a yellowish/orange color at times and is not mixed with the stool from what I can see, but the oil does float on the water within the toilet. My stool appears to be normal. The only symptoms I am having us an upset stomach. Does anyone have any clue what this could be?

Help!Concerned!
Are you taking any medications?  My mother has the same oily stuff when she has a bowel movement.  Her's is due to excess acid.  I started taking Xenical for weight loss and the same thing happened to me.  It was enough to leave a ring of oil in toilet after it was flushed.

Thanks for replying. I am not on any medications at all. I am 34 years old and I have no other unusual symptoms. I wonder if it could be that my body is not absorbing my fat properly? I have not idea. I exercise 4 to 5 days a week. I run and walk around 25 miles a week and try to eat healthy.

I do not have this problem all of the time just periodically, but enough for me to know that it is not normal based on talking to close friends and family. I don't know what else it could be.

Your opinion would be appreciated.

Thank you
Hello!  With my mom, hers is only on occasion also.  She's older and doesn't get much exercise so I really don't know if it's related.  When it happens to her, it kinda burns.  The doctor told her when it happens to take some pepcid ac for a couple of days.  This seems to work for her.  It doesn't happen often enough for her to take daily medicine, but since using the pepcid ac, the episodes are fewer and farther between.
Good luck and God Bless!
I've lived with this for years--it's the inability to digest fats--mine created by a virtually non-functioning pancreas. You'll find the benefit is LOW cholesterol, no weight gain and the ability to eat fats if you don't mind this aspect.
A related discussion, Pet's Name was started.