Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
PH and motility test

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

PH and motility test

Has anyone ever had the Ph and esophageal motility test performed?  I am due for this test in about three weeks.  I am told that the probe will be inserted through the nasal cavity into the esophagus and I will be wearing this for a full 24 hours.  All of this happening while I perform normal everyday activities......like someone could with a tube hanging out the nose!!  All of this is in search of the sphincter of Oddi pain/spasms I've been having for almost 4 years now.  I just had a HIDA scan and CCK done this week.  No results yet.  I've had the ERCP a couple of years ago but not with manometry.  That was normal....no residual stones after cholecystectomy.  Doctors are so puzzled with my symptoms.  The main symptom being intense pain DAILY.  Anyway, if someone has had the motility test please let me know what I'm about to endure.  Thanks!
Zoie
Zoie,
This is the one test I refused to have done. The reason is that I had taken so many acid reducers with no luck. I didn't think and still don't think acid was ever my problem. SOD has nothing to do with acid. I wish you luck in your search. I was told by the Dr that the tube in the nose is a small one. You have to wear a monitor with it and everytime you have pain you press a botton that records what your PH level is.
Hi Lor,

Thanks for the reply.  I did finally find a gastro that does perform the ERCP w/manometry about 130 miles from where I live.  He thinks that my symptoms of pain on an empty stomach is acid too.  He says that SOD patients generally have pain after eating and my symptoms are just the opposite.  I am going to be compliant with all of his tests for now.  He says that probably in the end I will have to do the ERCP w/manometry if all else fails.  I am almost 99% sure that I have SOD, even my family doctor thinks so as well.  It sure is hard to convince some gastroenterologists though!  So for now I guess I will live with the pain and hope by sometime before the end of the year I will have found the source and have it fixed!!  So sorry to hear that you are having some pain again.  Keep us posted.
Zoie
Hi about the motility test,i got both the ph probe and the motility test done and they are really not bad. The ph probe is a little uncomfortable but not too bad and the motility test doesn't take long and thats not bad either. It really helped me in finding my problems. hope it works our for you,
Hi......yes I also have had both tests done with no problems at all. I started to choke when I first stood up with the probe in and also if I turned my head quickly but apart from that no trouble at all.
I also had anal motility tests.........................not nice and that took two hours.