Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain - upper right abdomen.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Pain - upper right abdomen.
I am a 31 year old male.  I have had a mild pain in my upper right abdomen area, behind my rib cage for about 9 months now.  It seems to come and go, there is no real rhyme or reason as to what causes it.  At night when I sleep on my stomach it sometimes feels like something that is bruised is pressing against my bottom 2 ribs.  It is just a mild pain, nothing unbearable, but enough to concern me.  About 5 months ago I went in and had it checked out.  They ran blood tests, gave me an ultra sound, and found nothing wrong.  I have had digestive issues for the last 10 years and the doctors tell me it could be related to that.  I have no other symptoms besides the pain.  Can digestive problems cause something like this?  Is this something I am just going to have to deal with for the rest of my life or is there something the doctor can put me on?  

Thanks,

Joe
I am having the similar problem that you stated, no clear reason even after about ten variety of  tests over the span of 20 months. Today I am very clear that my Doctor pinpointed the slight abnormal functionality of my Gallbladder, the HIDA scan helped to find this problem. Hope this may help you.
- Moor
About 6 months ago, I started having an ache in my upper right abdomen (just below the ribs). In my case, the pain didn't seem to correlate with diet. Both an ultrasound and a CT scan showed nothing. I then had a HIDA scan which showed that my gall bladder was not functioning properly -- it was ejecting material at about  1/5 of the normal rate. By mid January, the pain had increased substantially. So I decided to have my gall bladder removed. I was quite sore for a few weeks after the surgery, but now, I feel much better. I am certainly feeling better than I did before.
Joe,
I have the same exact issue.  Actually I posted a message before reading yours, but the symptoms sound exactly the same.  It's an annoyance.  Doc's can't seem to find anything wrong when I went a year ago.  Hate to keep going....my doc's going to think I'm crazy.
Have you had any resolution as of yet?
had similar symptons wound up having a twisted colon
I am having that exact symptom right now. However I have severe back, shoulder & neck aching constantly. I am hopefully getting gallbladder surgery this week. Good luck!
Don