Pain Upper Left Quadrant - have had every test - DOC stumped as usual ..
Same old story gang---recently had ABDOMINAL
SCAN, endoscope down the throat, didn't have colonoscopy this time...ahhhhh  lets see anything else.... DOC is stumped---constant pain in upper left side,,,,, everything looks ok I keep hearing.....pain is always there and sometimes gets REALLLLLLLLLLL  uncomfy...
On the prilosec which I guess is OK for heartburn etc;;; not really a problem with that anymore.... but not this mysterious pain..... ahhh about 5 years of frustration now----with no end in sight-----kinda like  gurgling, pulled muscle, twitching feeling inside that drives me crazy....I'd like to reach in & grab it out if I could....
something is being missed.... some pancreas inflammation type thing ?? spleen ???  scan says all is fine and blood readings OK...
hmmmmm  DOCTORS   you are missing something...
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  !!
frustrated Rob ....take care all.....
someday  maybe someday I just wanna double over real bad & not get up & say SEE DOCTORS  I told you there was something wrong---ya just couldn't find it....!!!!!!!

take care
To Carol and Cathy who posted on this board I would like to email you and talk I have had the same symptoms on the right side which started with a sore area in the bottom part of ribs near waist then I developed pain radiating through to back which I thought was gallblader All tests were negative The soreness and burning sensation were treated like gastro problems then subsided in 2 to 3 weeks then returnrd again in a month for a few days went away then returned with a vengeance Terrible buning searing pain around the waist sensitive to clothing sometimes crawly feeling then numb. Lasted 6 months intense 3 doctors did not know what it was no rash!!!! I went to emergency room and the doctor immediatly said it was shingles or a virus in the herpes family. I also had an MRI of the entire spine showed nothing.  I was pain free for about 4 months and it is starting again this time I am taking an antiviral and acting like it is shingles but Im wondering if this just isnt a reoccurance of the nerve pain???? Please respond
This site is so wonderful and I feel so lucky to have found it.  I too have left upper quad pain for a little over 3 years now and have been told everything.  First stress, then spleen (I had mono), then a spleenic node and now spastic colon AKA IBS.  This pain is unbearable at times and feels like repetative stabs!  I haven't had any tests done, beside H-Pylori(which was negative) and from the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like many of you got any info from tests.  Saw a GI Doc and he had me start taking fiber pills...I also suffer from gassiness.  The pills were great, but too much for my body to take as often as recommended.  Anyway, I am just so glad I found all of you.  Although, I'm still terrified it could be something serious.  I have generalized anxiety as well, which doesn't help!  Your stories were comforting to read.  Thank you for all of your ideas, I will be looking into each of them.  Hope you are all feeling better.
I have been reading these boards for a while. I have been having pain under my right ribs, along my right side, and into the right side of my back for close to 5 years now. I have been through almost every test. Endoscope, Colonoscopy, ultra sound on liver, pancrease, gallbladder and tons of bloodwork. Prilosec helped somewhat at first. Xanax helped the most, but still pain. pain has slowly been getting worse over 5 years, although there has been worse times and better times over that period. I wanted to try Elival so I went to doctor yesterday. He did not think it was shingles, because he thought shingles would come on strong and either stay the same or improve over a long period of time. My pain is ever so slowly getting worse. I don't know if it is shingles or not, but I have felt for a long time the intercostal nerve was being agrevated by a virus or something else. I can say that the first day I have been on elival, I have noticed an improvement. It's too early to tell, but so far so good. I also had an MRI on my back.          

Bill
I am so glad that I found this site.  I have had a lower groin pain for 5 yrs now and was told by one doctor that it was a hernia and another said it was a pulled nerve....pain has never gone away.  I then caught a case of the chicken pox for the first time ever 6 months ago (I am 30 yrs old).  For about 3 months now, I have had severe nausea and cramping in my left side right under my rib cage.  The pain is getting worse and I was tested for a parasite, which came back negative. I have had onsets of constipation and then several days of 4-5 BM a day. Thought it could be my gall bladder but was told that it is on the right hand side.  My doctor is now sending me for Xray and ultrasound and a gastroenterologist is going to see me.  I never thought of the shingles thing because it can be brought on by stress and I started a very stressful job 4 months ago!! This makes so much sense.  I thought I was losing my mind and I think my co-workers think I'm a hypochondriac!! I am also beginning to feel very isolated and somewhat depressed and I hate being like this.  It's so frustrating.  It's so good to know that there are others out there with the same condition....I don't feel so alone now.  Thank you for your thoughts and advice.  I wish everyone success and a pain-free life one day.  Try to hang in there! I know I will.
Hi! Dr.Genious how are you doing today I hope fine. Anyway I have some questiond you ask you. My question is What bone can move in your skull? , and What are two parts of the skeletal system?
Pleaes e-mail me today no later becaus eif you don't then I'm sueing you page maybe you.

Bye
Pleaes e-mail me today no later
Bye
I have an appt. with my PCP this Weds. for the exact symptoms described here.  I've been dealing with this off and on for over 3 years.  Started in a very stressful time in my life. Felt like someone was pulling my stomach through my back.  It isn't a peircing pain, but a lot of pressure and a knot in my back just below the shoulder blade. Anxiety or exhaustion accompany it. Just a all over unwell feeling. Doctor gave me Prevacid and the pain went away in about 2 weeks.  
And then it was on and off until just this last May when I hit another very stressful time in my life and kicked in and has not stopped except for 2 weeks in July when it totally stopped, then kicked in again.
I had my heart tested last Oct. it was fine, thank god.
Had my gallbladder out June 1, 2000.  Was full of stones.
Still had the dull pain and pressure.
Started seeing a chiropractor July 1, 2000, he relieved the chest and upper back pressure, but the stomach pressure and bloating remains and the knot in the back still remains. Along with the overall unwell feeling.  2 weeks ago I developed this pinching like feeling in my lower left ribcage.
He will probably want me to go through alot of gastro tests, which is fine, but I think I will ask him for the Elavil just for shits and giggles while I wait on the gastro tests.
Hi Carol and others,

I'm glad I found your notes and hope that someone can help shed light on my problem as well.  

Over the past three years I have been dealing with a growing abdominal "cramping" in my right side just below the belt line.  It tends to be worse about 1 hour after eating, and espeically after eating really filling meals, i.e. pasta and chesse are the two worst, but caffine and chocolate are bad too.

I've had many of the tests, Endoscopy down the throat, ct scan, kidney x-ray, blood tests, upper GI, nothing.

Over the past two months I have had a swelling of my tonsils and that doesn't see to want to go away.  Lots of various pills, now on Prevacid, thinking the throat issue may be reflux related, but so far no help.  The prevavic seems to make my stomach cramping worse as well.

The stomach issue is worse when I sit, and is almost not noticeable when walking or standing.  It feels like presure, and the best results have been to use heat combiined with massage in that area for about 1/2 hour.

I would love to talk to anyone who has similar issues so please write:  ***@****

Has anyone gone to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN to see what they can find?  Looking at getting an appointent in December....

Wayne
Need to get HEALTHY. Everything you need for every part of the body you have. HERBALIFE is what you need. Email me with questions  Willison_co***@****
For the past year I have had pain extending from my lower left ribcage to slightly before the center of my back. It feels like it is jutting out, like something under it is swollen. I also have a lump on my leftside slightly behind my armpit but still around my ribcage. I went to a chiropractor a few weeks ago after a friend mentioned that he had similar probs. that turned out to be a pulled muscle due to a bad back. I had an adjustment done and the size of the lump actually went down within a few hours of the treatment. The soreness was still there, but I could breathe better. Now I am back to where I started..the lump is big again and I am having problems even laying on my side. I am considering going to the hospital after reading your posts and trying to rule out..1. shingles, 2. pancreatitus, 3. diverticulosis, 4. a gallbladder or liver problem. I will prob. ask for a scan of #4. first. Thanx for posting your experiences, atleast you have given me someplace to begin.
For the last (around 6) months I've had this nagging "feeling" in the left side of my back, sort of at my ribcage. It definitely isn't a pain, it just sort of feels like something's in there. But it's only in my back, not my abdomen.

Maybe the shingles thing is applicable here. Twice, in the last 6 months, I broke out in a strange rash (sort of an intricate red design) on my thigh.

I don't know. I guess it could be some sort of nerve damage. I was taking St. John's Wort before this, for about a year, until I started noticing prickly feelings in my fingers (nerve damage) and found out St. John's wort can cause that. Maybe I've experienced some sort of lingering nerve damage.

The thing is, it's not "painful" just annoying and nagging, so I almost feel if I went to a doctor, they'd blow it off. They seem to take full blown pain more seriously.

But I am going to mention it to my doctor when I see her in a few weeks.
Just want everyone to know that my doctor thinks there just may be something to this shingles thing.
He has prescribed Elavil 25mg at bedtime for the next 2 weeks and then he wants to see me again.
Keeping my fingers crossed.  =)
I had pain for more than 10 years in my duodenum.
I could sleep thanks to Normacol.

After finding Helicopbacter Pilori, my doctor ordered me OGAST + Zeclar + clamoxyl.

After that, pain has disapeared (!!!!)
I have been having pains in mu upper stomache on and off for eight years.I have tests for ulcers had two different courses of anti biotics for helicobactor pylori,when the symptoms appear I feel that I cant face food for three days also when I press my stomache to the top left of my ribcage I can feel and hear a clicking noise, my doctor says that it is coming from my smaller ribs and is nothing to worry about.I agree with Jeff,it is sometimes brought on after a night out,where too much alcohol may have caused the problem,I think that I may be allergic to white wine which may be causing acidity.
Dear Royce:

I have acid reflux, and a great deal of heart papitations for three years now.  At first the doctors didn't know what is was from...thought maybe a heart attack. Then I was the one to say that about two hours after I eat, the heart races.  I turned out to be right...digestion is taking place I guess and all that air builds up in my chest and pow!  the heart starts going.  it's very scary...but I'm used to it now.  

I have a question?  I'm having tremendous nerve problems....twitches in leg, numbness almost over entire body.  anybody taking Prilosec experiencing this?  Just curious?
have had ulq pain for 20yrs as matter of fact i had it for 2wks this time  this is the first time ihave found any bodies that have  it   thanks  for the info keep it coming
When I found this site I actually cried.  I have had the same left upper quadrant pain for almost 1 year.  I am completely and totally stressed out.  I have had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, CAT scan, ultra sounds of the pelvis and abdomen, and now soon to have an MRI of the lumbar spine and repeat ultra sound.  After GI I went to GYN because I thought the constant pain also became worse around my cycle.  The GYN doesnt think it is cycle related.  Now the left upper quadrant pain is not only under my left rib cage but radiating to my hip and back.  I have that stitch in my side and i have been told about the IBS, also had H pylori, was terrified of a tunor or a cancer.  I have 3 sick  children - my oldest is 18 and is critically ill with a rare seizure disorder.  I CAN NOT AFFORD TO BE SICK ALL THE TIME DAY IN AND DAY OUT.  I am going to ask my doctor about the elavil TONIGHT!  For the women on the list does your LUQ pain get worse around the monthly cycle?  
Thanks for all the info I feel better just knowing I am not alone!
Tina
Rob,
Rob,  

I started developing something similar while serving in Somolia. The doctors thought it was parasites and told me to take care of it when I returned to the states.  Let's cut to the chase, after a year of almost every test possible, they decided to do an upper GI.  About 15 minutes after drinking this fluid that weighed about two pounds, I thought I was going to die.  The doctor at the hospital did the upper GI and could not find anything.  I went back to my doctor doubled over in pain.  That night they performed emergency exploritory surgery.  They found adhessions that were attaching my colon to the abdominal wall.  The next day no less than 5 doctors came to tell me they never would have found that.  Their test were all focused inside the digestive track rather than outside.  This is just food for thought.  Have you ever had a blow to the abdomin or prior surgery?

Good luck,

Mike
To Emily,
    How much Elavil are you taking? Maybe this could be the shingles virus and resulting nerve inflammation. If you're on a small dose of Elavil, maybe they should try upping it...I have to take 50mg. each night to control my pain.
Dear Susan,
    You described exactly what I went through. All the GI docs could tell me my stomach was inflamed, but could never give me the reason.  I, too, found only a handful of foods that I could keep down, and became so weak.  I lost 27 pounds during my illness.  I am so glad that my illness and its eventual diagnosis has helped others.  Four month of a living hell for me, but worth it all if it can help others!
I am a 21 y/o female with normal health other than the problem I am about to mention. I have had right upper gastric pain for 4 months now and have had every test done in the book (CT scan, x-rays, upper gi, ERCP).  All came back normal.  I was originally diagnosed with pancreatitis (severe pain, clay stools, vomiting), but when I got it a second time and my lipase only peaked at 275, they looked to something else for the cause.  They then thought I had delayed gastric emptying and it came back as a mild delay but nothing to point to why I had this horrible pain in my right side.  I have been hospitalized 3 times since first have the "pancreatitis" like symptoms.  My lipase has elevated to 275 at it's peak, but my amylase has never been elevated, so they said it could not be pancreas or gallbladder related.  The definitive diagnosis I received was I had gastroparesis and dyspepsia.  I have still been sick even while taking reglan and elavil (for chronic pain).  I am out of options because I am withering away into nothing.  I weighed 123 in July and now in November, I am down to 108.  I look and feel very unhealthy and I sometimes cannot go on with daily life because I feel so bad.  I feel that maybe there is something the docs are missing.  Could anyone help me with this?
I want to thank all of you so much who have contributed to this web site, especially those of you who have provided information about elavil.  This drug really has put a stop to what for me was unbearable suffering.  My story is as follows:

On August 2, I got what I thought was food poisoning.  The severe cramping and nausea lasted for about 10 days, and then disappeared for about 2 weeks.

On Sept. 4, the pain returned.  Anytime I ate practically anything my stomach would cramp for hours and I would become very nauseous.  The nausea sometimes lasted for days.  Eventually not eating anything became preferable to eating.  In one week I lost ten pounds.

In addition to the nausea and stomach cramping, I also had a constant pain in the upper left quadrant of my chest.  It was clearly centered in the epigastric region.  It burned through to the center of my back and extented up to my left shoulder.  In the front, it radiated up to the area at the base of my throat (at the notch in the collar bone) and downward just under the rib line.  It stopped an inch or so above my waist.  This was not a sharp pain, but more of a gnawing one.  By far, the worst symptoms were the cramping and nausea that occurred after eating.  My stomach also was very acidic. I had no lower abdominal symptoms.

My week of not eating occurred toward the end of September and caused me to realize that I needed to find something I could consume.  I began experimenting with different foods and found  that I could eat overcooked potatoes in chicken broth and also oatmeal without the usual stomach cramps and nausea.  I ate only these two foods for the next two weeks.  However not eating protein left me very weak.  I experimented a little more and discovered I could also eat poached fish and rice without the dreaded after effects.  These four foods were my total diet for the next month.

During the first two weeks of October I had all the stomach tests done: ultrasound, upper GI series, chest x-ray, CT scan, blood work, and finally a sigmoidoscopy and an endoscopy on Oct 15. The results of all of them, of course, were normal.  However, by this time I had already found this web site so, when my GI doc declared that what I had was IBS and gastroparesis (his only prescription was for reglan) I knew to go the next day to my GP and ask for a prescription for elavil.  Again you all, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I began taking elavil on Oct 16 starting with 10 mg.  I reacted so badly to this initial low dosage that I was certain I would never be able to take higher dosages without having unbearable side effects.  I was tremendously groggy and worse - tremendously dizzy.  But after 8 days the side effects
eased significantly and I gradually increased the dosage over time -10 mg, 20mg, 25 mg, 35 mg, to 50 mg.  After each increase the side effects returned and I just tolerated the dizzness and hoped that it would soon go away.  It always did.  But had I not been so desparate I would have given up on elavil a long time ago.

I have been taking 50 mg for 5 days now and all of my symptoms are completely gone.  I discovered I could eat practically everything after taking 25 mg of elavil for four days or so. However, I decided to continue trying to up the dosage because I could still feel an unpleasant-but-not-painful sensation in my stomach and I wanted to get rid of it if I could.  The only major noticable side effect that I still experience is constipation.  I have an appetite for sweets but I always have.  My mouth's a little dry but cough drops take care of it.  I'm just so grateful to be able to eat again.

I hope this can be of help to someone.  Again, to all, my thanks.
Hi, I would like to add to this list. My mother is in a lot of pain they (docs) did an ultrasound, blood work and Friday she has to drink some chalky stuff. She hurts under and around her left side of here back. In her ultrasound they found some cysts in her liver. They changed her diet and put her on proslacte. My mother is 68 years old. Is there a solution besides an operation?
Thanks for having this website....I myself have chest pains, burning on the leftside of my arm...I've had my heart checked many times and even had an angio gram...Everything is fine..Whatever I have it's really annoying..Maybe it's shingles.
I've taken xanx and it releives the pain...And now I'm taking Kava Kava for relaxation.  Also, my pains are sometimes so severe that I cry.  I don't trust Dr.'s and I think they just guess.  It's good to know that I'm not going crazy. I've had blood test, everything is fine, I've had a physical and I'm fine....The burning pain is terrible on my left shoulder.  It's always on the leftside..Sometimes my left arm hurts...It's terrible...Delores

I am a 57 year old male. I have stomach pain in lower part of stomach after eating. Somtimes the pain just moves around my entire stomach. Had the endoscopy and sigmoud last week. They can't seem to be able to find anything wrong. Dr. says I have IBS and mild gastritis. I am having an attack as I write this. Not only is there pain in the stomach but have an overall feeling of doom. Feels like I am losing my mind. Also had sonograms of internal organs which showed nothing wrong. Many blood test. Taking Previcid and Hyoscamine to slow down the action of digestion system. Seems to help somewhat. Only other thing that helps is Alprozam (nerve pills). I only take them when I feel like my world is closing in on me. Nice to know that we are not alone with this condition, but it would be nice to be able to find releif of some kind. If I find anthing that helps me I will surely post it here. It is not good to feel that you are losing your mind. Hoping that the Doctors can come up with some kind cure or even something that would relieve some of the pain. Best of luck to all of you suffering from this condition.
Hello again,
I've posted before a few entries up.  I am still having the same ol pain.  Under the left ribcage and around to my left middle back.  Since I posted last I have had an endoscopy which was as clean as a whistle.  Ultrasound of abdominal area ...negative...imagine that. This week I had a Cat scan of my abdominal area. I don't know the results of it yet.  My symptoms are not only pain, but as another poster stated, I seem to get anxious when the pain is peaking. Does anyone else have this?
When I get up in the morning, I tend to feel the best and as the day goes by pain gets worse.  I have also been prescribed alproloxm (sp?) or xanax.  It does temper the pain somewhat but it doesn't cure the problem. My gastro doctor seems to be a very understanding doctor and is trying his best to figure out the problem.  He did say the elavil is a very good medication and that it is a tranquilizer of some sort.  As much as I have dissagreed with anxiety as the cause I am starting to have second thoughts that maybe all this is just tied to anxiety.  It seems like when I wake up that I feel so calm, and generally no pain.  I'm not saying the pain isn't real, but the problem might have manifested itself thru stress.  The last year and half my life has had much change.  Have a New baby, New house, job is somewhat stressful ect.  None of this **** started before all those changes.  Also the pain in my abdomin travels to my chest, back and sometimes arms.  I also have experience some depression due to this.  I feel as if I'll never be cured of this.  MAYBE all this is STRESS related. Does anyone else think this?
Dear Lisa,
      I have had shingles twice...once at age 36 and the other at age 42...both times without the rash.  It even has a name..it's called Zoster Sine Herpete (I think that's it).
Anyway, don't let the absence of blisters keep you from trying the Elavil.  I continue to be amazed at the lack of info doctors have on shingles.  Some of them don't have a clue.  Yes, shingles is usually seen in the older population, but I'm living proof (as well as many others that have posted on this board) that young people get it too.  Especially with the level of stress that we are all living with in this fast paced world.
Good luck.  I hope the Elavil works!  Don't be afraid to ask for a bigger dose if a smaller amount doesn't work.  50mg does it for me.
This is very interesting.  Mine has been going on for 1 year now.  Had all tests run and everything comes up a big negative.  Very frustrating.  I've been to my general practician about 3 times with this.  On my last visit I went because the night before I thought I was having a heart attach. No heart attach.  It's interesting that everyone is mentioning the "shingles". My doctor mentioned it but decided that I am too young (37).  She still suggested that I watch my wasteline to see if blisters come up.  From what I'm gathering reading all of this, you don't have to have blisters.  Is this true?  If so, I'm calling my doctor and asking her to prescribe Elavil!  I'll keep you posted as to if my pain goes away.  I want to confirm first though that blisters do not have to show around your waistline for you to have shingles.  Please reply!  I'll keep all of you posted.

Thanks!
I did not have time to read all the mails on this board (there are so many, I could not believe how many people actually suffer from bowel problems!). Anyway, I thought I tell you my story in short version. I am an IBS sufferer (diarrhea). Same story, everything okay physically but nothing seemed to work. However, being from Europe where homeopathy is quite big, I thought I give it a go. That worked wonder. Anyone tried that as well? Would be interested to hear about it.

You all take care.
Finally Ive found a group of people who all seem to suffer the same thing as I do, and as yet Doctors are still baffled as to what the hell it is!!

Im not about to repeat the symptoms as you all have mentioned same.  All I can is that I hope somebody figures this out soon as people are starting to not believe the pain Im in, they say "Well if there is nothing major wrong with you, why are you whinging!"  ok so I'll stop whinging!  

Ive noted some of the medicines some you guys have taken and will be going to local pharmasist for more advice!

Liz
Hi i am also suffering from this in the upper left side of my chest. I had all the test related to heart and everything turned out to be normal the n i found a doc who diagonised me for having fibromyositis. A nerve pain u can get the details from my health.com. I am taking pain killers and am feeling fine now.
My brother has had the same symptoms.  He has had numerous tests done.  The doctors can never really find anything wrong with him. He is a very nervous type person and is tense most of the time.
Your body reacts to stress in a negative way.  This can cause your body to work slowly and can cause a person to become
constipated.  Even though you may go to the bathroom daily, sometime the body does not rid itself of all bowel and can cause the sensation that you have mentioned.  Read comment on June 7 from Sheree.  Although this may be a problem for some, others may have other problems as well.  Check your family medical history and see if other's may have had the same problem.  
Talk to your primary care physician and if he/she can't resolve the problem he/she may refer you to someone that specializes in Gastroentology.  In this day in time it is very hard to live a stress free life.  Take time out of your daily routine for yourself and do something that you enjoy.  Take pleasure in the little things that life has to offer.  Good Luck and hope you feel better real soon.
Sounds like me!! Pain is never severe with me,though,but gets very uncomfortable at times.This pain is located at the bottom of my ribcage,left side.Sometimes feels like a bruised rib,other times feels like it`s closer to the surface of the skin.Tight,pinching feeling inside.This side is more sensitive to water temperature when I take a shower,also.Changed bowel habits over last few years.Feel like Richard Pryor because I have to "wipe for like five hours" every time.That could not be normal.I`ve had colonoscopy and many x-rays and ct scan/mri done.No apparent problems.I sometimes have a general sick feeling,like my guts ache,but I definitely have not lost any appetite or weight.32 years old.6ft 230 pounds.Weight is creeping up on me.Maybe I just have diverticulosis,or something,although I don`t know if that causes stool change.No bleeding or anything,just pasty consistency.OK,LETS CHANGE THE SUBJECT,HERE.....how `bout that election,huh?! (This is my first "intimate details" kinda post!)
Hello
I am also a sufferer of pain and I was wondering if anyone else has had high enzyme levels of amylase and lypase?
Debbie G.

I've read most of your posts concerning shingles and LUQ pain and the relief you've gotten with Elavil.  You say you did your own research on the net and learned of rashless shingles in that manner.  Will you please post the link?  You also say that  Elavil, besides being an antidepressant, is an antihistamine and is anti-nerve pain.  The PDR and RxList.com only characterize it as an antidepressent.  They caution it should not be used by people with cardiac problems as it's chief side effect is M.I. and stroke.  Since everyone on this thread is concerned about chest pain it would be prudent to carefully consider it's use.
I'm so glad I discovered this website.  I am going to the doctor tomorrow because of severe pain in my left ribcage radiating to my back.  I am terrified of a chest x-ray which may diagnose this problem as lung cancer.  I feel a little better now that I have read so many of your letters.  Has anyone with this pain been diagnosed with lung cancer?
I have had the same problem for thy last two years off and on pain under the right ribcage going through to my back like a knife going through me. amost like a lage lump that I want to reach in and pull out I get indigestion really bad somtimes it feels like heart attack but its mainly in the middle and to the right side of my chest going round the backthe pain feels almost muscular as it sometime hurts more with movement.I am waiting for  more test but it alll becoming to much to bare.
All I can say is wow all of us having the same type of probs and none of us can seem to find a doctor to say whats going on.I am 28 year old male been  to the ER about 10 times last 3-4 months pain in middle of chest radiating through to back pain moves around alot sometimes in right chest sometimes under left rib area.Have had 4-6 EKGS,Chest X rays,Blood work,Echo on heart and stomach baruim swallow and still no clear cut dianosis besides they want to bring uo anxity,I love how docs want to say anxiety when they cannot find something out pisses me off to no end I know that I am probly have some anxiety and stress but like I told the docs who the hell wouldn't be anxious and worried when you have so much pain and no one knows whats going on tomm I go to Baptist Hospital in N.C. to see a cardiologist as bad as I hate to say it I hope they find something that way atleast they might be able to treat it.

However I doubt they will find anything.I also have the episodes of racing heart that some of you have described its a blessing to read that others have the same kinda problems and hope and pray that we can all recover one day if anyone would liek to chat email me at ***@**** sometimes it good to have someone to talk to that knows how ya feel and what you are going through.

i am writing this in a sense of calm that i havnt had in months..after seeing that others are experiencing similar problems.....Im a 37 year old male, and for me , well...I had an undiscribable tickle under my left rib for years...it usually meant a bad cold was coming on...(my doctor in puzzlement said it was probably a gland thing??)..well about 6 months ago i had terrible diarreaha and after my gp sent me to a specialist and a colonoscopy with no results..i was sent home..guessing..shortly after i developed a rash on my penis and i was told it was a yeast infection...then it was jock itch and now its still there after numerous cremes  etc...then on top of which...my symptoms.....fatigue,constant diarreaha, stomach pain , acid reflux, pain that starts under my rib cage on the left and radiates to my lower back..(although sometimes more painful that others)..and now what feels like a bubble directly to the left of my solarplexis and bulging out from under my rib(especially if i sit down over a table or desk)..my most recent symptom..hives and itching on my forearms...
the medications i have taken...cipro( for prostititus)
                               flagellen for a misdiagnosed infection, prilosec for the upset stomach and hiatal hernia, and now protonix for the diagnosed hiatal hernia....
on top of it all my doctor checked my liver enzymes and said they were high enough to warrent a revisit to the internist/ gastro doctor(possibly for a liver biopsy)....I AM JUST SO FED UP WITH IT ALL ....AND MY WIFE THINKS IM CRAZY AND AND JUST BEING A HYPOCHONDRIAC...AND IM WONDERING THAT MYSELF.....ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE WELCOME EITHER HERE OR TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS POSTED IN MY HEADING...THANX
I am 33 and have had the same kind of pain all my life. Whem I was 15 doctors found that my large and small intestine had not moved into their proper places while I was developing in my mothers womb. This alone was not thought to be the cause. I had surgery then to release a section of my small intestine that they thought was ocassionally getting kinked up.This didnt help.
Then I had to have a second surgery after scar tissue from the first surgery caused my small intestine to twist and become totally blocked. They said another 30 minutes and it would have ruptured and I might have died from the infection it would have caused. No sooner than  I went home from that, I was back with pain and unstoppable vomiting. This time they said the 2nd surgery had irritated my pancreas and caused pancreatitis.
Things went ok for a few months, then the pain came back.
This time they were thinking pancreas again. Ultrasound showed what looked like calcium deposits on it comparable to a person who had drank booze for 30 years! They wanted to put me through
an exploritory surgery to check it out. I refused and my parents did too. I still get the pain . several years ago , I had a cat scan done of my pancreas and gall bladder. It showed perfectly
normal! I know we all want the docs to do something for us.
But maybe sometimes nothing is better. I hope you can find out what it is but if you can't, try to find ways to handle the pain or lessen it. I gave up on any kind of antacid type treatment.
I dont think it has anything to do with it.I take pain relievers
and it may sound strange but I have found that a big glass of almost hot water drank all at once and then laying down on my stomach for about an hour sometimes helps.
I can understand you, I have the same pain- had colonoscopy, a couple of MRI's, CT scan and name it all and the doctors say I am healthy. I am still searching for answer on this... I will post it when God will finally help the doctors figure it out.
I am 38 and have recently been plagued with the same upper left abdomen pain.  And about 4 months ago I had a very sharp and very painful ache in my lower left abdomen.  I couldn't sit up right and it lasted for nearly 2 days.  I was experiencing the same upper left pain prior and also had some really bad acid reflux.  This was more evident after drinking alcohol and eating fried food.  I have read (a lot) about this and all the posts here and I have found that my symptons are found in several different disorders and diseases.  From pancreatitis, to cholecystitis, to hiatal hernia and biliary colic, liver disease, enlarged spleen and more.  But I also learned that some of these are related and one often affects the other.  It is likely that some of you are like me and are suffering from a sequence of one or more of these symptoms.  I am planning to visit an endocrinologist and run some tests but I wanted to research as much as possible first.  I expect that I have a problem with my gallbladder and have stones.  This explains the severe pain in my small intestine 4 months ago, ie. lodged stone and trying to pass it.  Also, I think that I have damaged my pancreas from poor diet and alcohol. Because it really is uncomfortable after drinking and eating fatty foods. Also, gallstones can block the bile duct and cause problems with the pancreas where the pancreas cannot push the digestive enzymes to the stomach. One more very distinct symptom of pancreatitis is an oily stool sometimes followed by an oily liquid.  Gross, I know.  The last thing is I get a very bad case of acid indigestion. This is probably from GERD.  That is the reflux that occurs when the valve at the top of the stomach (LUS?)doesn't shutin and let's bile move up.  That really hurts and I've been told can burn all the way to your back.  I have an immediate remedy for that.  If you get this really bad acid reflux and you don't want to wait for the prilosic or zantac to kick in then take 2 teaspoons of baking powder and stir in 2 ounces of water and gulp it down.  Tastes awful but you will get relief in less that 5 seconds.  Well, that is enough.  I will try to remember to post again after I visit the doctor.  Wish me luck on finding a good one.
I have recently acquired the same symptoms.  I ma going nuts to say the least.  I hope to find out something because it is driving me nuts!!!
same strange problem as above........imaginary? pain upper left quadrant- abdomen, had all the tests, doctor finds nothing, am beginning to think i am crazy - a constant, dull, burning pain, also tender skin in afflicted area - will flare up when i get some sort of infection or virus, hasnt hurt for 6 months, had a stomach/upper respiratory infection, pain is back.........help
same exact problem as above, starting to feel a little insane...
I'm sitting here incredulous, having just found this board, that so many other people are having the same pack of symptoms that I've been having for almost a year now. I've suffered with ULQ pain under my ribs which often wraps around my side and back. My own personal "alien". The pain is mostly dull and gnawing but will occasionally become sharp (mostly associated with gas in my colon, I've noted). I've had the same pains and numbness in the left side of my chest and down my left arm. I can almost feel exactly where my organs are on the left side as the pain sometimes fairly corruscates around them like paths of nerve lightning. Like many on this board, I've had gobs of tests (blood tests, endoscopy, palps, scheduled for a barium enema in two weeks) all of which came out both hearteningly and depressingly normal. I have been diagnosed with GERD, gastritis and a small hiatal hernia which are being treated fairly successfully with Ranitidine but that doesn't account for the rest of the pain I've been experiencing. I've had off and on bouts of constipation and diarrhea with the pain as well as gassy cramping and bloating in my colon. I've been doing pretty well until recently when my grandfather died (of pancreatic cancer which didn't help my state of mind any!) and then I had the flu. Whee. The pain came back with a vengeance on the tail end of the flu and has persisted for days now. I am encouraged by the discussions of Zoster Sine Herpete and plan to call my gastroenterologist tomorrow to request a prescription of Elavil. I had chicken pox at the age of eight with no major problems since, but I do develop the occasional pus-filled "zit" around my waistline (which I have always put down to heat or the like) and have had a recent major itch-fest on the back of my left thigh (with no visible cause). The more I read about the travails of others with this particular Zoster virus, the more it sounds like what I've been going through. Thanks all of you for sharing your experiences. It's really given me some peace of mind and a new avenue of treatment to investigate with my doctors.

Regards,
BrightLion
I am tired of dr's myself. I've had ct scans, mri, blood work, ultrasound, endoscopy, colonoscopy and was told gerd, gastroitis or something like that. I have left side pain under my ribs and nothing makes it go away. Labs came back with elevated ast or alt they said gallstones but that's the otherside ugh!
WOW! this is crazy information, and I am right there with you. mine has been 4 yrs now, 16 different doctors/surgeons/specialists. I play college bask etball and the pain was so intense I would feel like I could pass out any second! the pain is a sharp stabbing pain that constantly is under my left ribs. feels like my stomach and in between my ribs all the way from front to back. I tried kineso tape and many diff tapings to try and dull the pain so I could play but if I taped the left and it felt good I would feel it on the right. needless to say, nothing helped. yes maybe I shouldve stoppedplaying but rest didnt help either. 4 months off was the same pains, figured I still should work out if I am getting the pains if I wasnt training. suffered through it alll...for the love of the game. 16 doctors, all stumped. bloodtests, mri, bone scan, ekg, ct scan, with and without dye,ultradounds on heart, ovaries, gall bladder and entire left side, diaphragm and lung tests, im probably missing somethingbut all negative. im 22 yrs old trying to deal with this pain and live life work have fun. sleep with a pillow under my side if I even want to walk the next day. pain makes me throw up, I have fallen down from the pain, left side goes numb...under my eye my left side ribs, around my shoulder blade, elbow, fingers...all numb. told my last doctor everything even cried to get his attention to the amount of pain I am in. all his response was....u have had every test it is all up here (as he points to his head). again i am 22 in a few years I want children, will I be able to? i cant live like this for the rest of my life. please someone find the cure!
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Gastroenterologist in your area?