Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain after colonoscopy

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Pain after colonoscopy
I recently had a colonoscopy.  Results were favorable but into the second week after procedure, I have started experiencing pain in left groin and under left rib cage.  I am 57 years old, weight is 215lbs.  Is it possible that I was bruised during the procedure?  What steps or consults should I pursue to find out what is the cause of my discomfort.  800mg IB seems to dull the pain for a few hours.  I even get discomfort after eating.  Your help is appreciated.
A colonoscopy is normally a safe procedure.  Some complications can include splenic rupture (rare), bleeding or perforation.   Depending on what the doctor is suspecting, some imaging studies can be considered for further evaluation.

As to the next step, I would discuss the symptoms with your personal physician, or the gastroenterologist who completed the procedure.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com