Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain after gallbladder surgery

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Pain after gallbladder surgery

I had surgery to remove stones and my gall bladders in May 2001. I am still experiencing pain in my lower abdomen near but not at the site of the incisions.  It feels like sore muscles or brusing under the skin.  It comes on at any time, not just after a meal.  I thought it was a herina or adhesions but am not sure. My surgeon says just wait and see. Should I be worried or is it a normal thing after surgery. I had the lap surgery not the full incision.  All else seems to be fine.
Thanks,
I can hurt right along with you. I also had my gallbladder removed in May. I felt great for about two weeks and then everything went south. I feel very swollen around that area. I have had 5, what I call, gallbladder attacks. After I eat I get so nauseated and my pulse goes up. I'm very weak and tired. I went back to my surgeon three days after surgery when I had my first attack. He said I was fine. I've been back to my doctor 4 times and now am going back to my surgeon on Tuesday. I finally had a doctor friend recommed a good gastro.
Let me know what you find out. I'm a little anxious!
JenL
my dad has gallbladder stones, he had very few attacks lately..
he didnt get his surgery yet because he needs another opinion. when ever he eats pizza or fatty foods he gets these attacks, and his very weak and tiered. i feel...... well i cant describe it but it makes me want to cry..... please help.. thank you for your time......
                        frm: little1
My surgeon always says that I am fine and has the "let's just wait and see what happens", meanwhile I have these pains near the incisions and wonder what could be wrong. this past weekend I discovered that diarrreia is another side effect that I am to experience. I never had this before my gallbladder was removed.  but that I can live with since it's not to bad right now. Do you have the "bruised" or sore muscle feeling in your stomach too?  I read that this is caused by the contractions or spasms of the ducts that have to over produce now to help digest bile and fats not that the gall bladder isn't around to take care of that problem. I have feel it more when I have sat for awhile or after I eat, although it does just appear on it's own too. I would appreciate it so much if you would let me know if you hear anything.  This is starting to wear me down.
Why does your father have to get a second opinion?  How long has he had stones?  I was diagnosed with 2 stones 17 years ago and since I waited so long to have them out it was harder on my system and my recovery time was a bit longer than normal.  The best thing you can do for your father is just be supportive, help him watch is diet and say a little prayer.  While I was waiting for my turn in the OR, I said enough prayers for the entire hospital.  I might add though, if he has to have the laprascopic surgery, (4 small incisions instead of 1 large incision) he will be up and round and feeling much better in a matter of days.  I had surgery on Monday and worked a couple of hours on Saturday.  The hospital stay is overnight and I was up and walking a few hours after surgery.  Please be patient and try not to worry.  Please let me know how you are both doing.
Dyanne
I only had surgery three days ago. I was told that after wards it would take three days and I would be back to normal. I am still brused on all three areas, I feel swallon, I also feel nasua here and there and I feel tried(weak). I was wondering if anyone feels the same as I do? And just how long will this last? I want to go back to normal. One minute I feel as if this has come to an end and next as if I am so weak, tried, and all listed above. I know we are all different but anyone sound the same? ~Thanks Tam~
A related discussion, same was started.
A related discussion, how to recover from gallbadder removal? was started.
A related discussion, Pain after gallbladder surgery was started.