Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain in Lower Right Side & Lower Abdominal Pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am a 52 year old male. I have had a soreness in my lower right side (below ribs but above hip bone - on a pain scale of 1-10 maybe a 2) for a long time. I also have a fatty cyst above this area (under armpit) which has now grown to a larger size and is painful) which has also been around as longer than the above described pain. My old doctor always told me that the cyst likely was irrating side muscle causing the lower right side discomfort.

About a month ago I also began having lower abdominal pain (below belly button but above groin (also on a pain scale of 1-10 maybe a 2) which pretty much goes across the front (left to roght side). At the same time I started having lower back pain and slight soreness in the right hip area.

I have no other symptoms such as change in stool/urination habits, no fever, no real intense pain, no bllod in stools, etc., no nausea, no weight loss.

I had my physical recently and reviwed all of this with my doctor. He did all standard blood work and a through physical exam with all results being positive (no issues). I was told it is time to have the cyst removed (scheduled in a week or two) and that my back and hip pain was likely cyatic nerve related. He had no suggestion as to what the admoninal pain was and made no further suggestions.

I have since visited a chiroprator and they took xrays showing some hip and lower back nerve issues which they are working on.

I still remain concerned about the abdominal discomfort along with this long term right side soreness. I am schedule for a colonoscopy in early January (mainly cause I am over 50). Should I do any thing else and should I be concerned about something worse here?
It's difficult for me to understand how a fatty mass at your axilla could cause pain in the lower side, it's so far away.  What's concerning to me is that you have lower back pain (CVA tenderness) as well as abdominal pain.  It's reasonable to ask your doctor about the possibility of renal stones (nephrolithiasis) since that's something you haven't mentioned looking for yet.
Thank you for the response. I agree with your comment on the cyst and have always thought this. One thing on the lower right side issue, this is more of a soreness versus a pain. I have had this for 3-4 years now. The abdominal and back issues just started a month ago. The abdominal stuff is also more of a soreness most noticable when I sit. When I stand and lay down I dont really notice it. As I meantioned no other issues such a fever, nauhea, etc except what I would call nervous stomach.  I will ask about a kidney stone but if that, would this not have passed by now?

Is there any way thos could be IBS? I have an increibly stressful job and have also been feeling a bit down (depressed) lateley which has been noticed by others as not being as happy as I normally am. I have attributed this to the ongoing discomfort but have been reading a lot on IBS and many of my sypmtoms seem to fit.