Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain in URQ , after drinking alcohol.
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pain in URQ , after drinking alcohol.

For nearly three years ago I (male,45,overweight) was suddenly sick during a meal on a journey. I was continuing heavy alcohol drinking for three more days, and then when I came home-I went really ill: I went tired, had severe pain in URQ, radiating into my back and arm and with pain in muscles and joints. This condition went on for 4 -5 weeks before it gradually slowed down. The only symptoms  which remains in "good periods" is a lumpy feeling in the area under the right rib and some gallbladder dyskinetics, at night. But this is no painexperience, and I forget about this most of my time.
My drinking history before this has been moderate to heavy from
the age of 18-19 to this situation at 42. But with few effects
on my studies and working career.

Of course I went to my doctor, disturbed of this condition and
some tests was carried out: Bloodworks (liver and panchreas functions), gastroscopy, X-ray examination of colon and ultrasound examination of abdomen. None of these went out postive, and i was told by different physicans that the liver
had a shock, that I should reduce or stop drinking or that this was a kind of gastritis - and not really a serious problem.

I haved stopped smoking, almost stopped drinking and started a
more healthier way of life. But with even small and seldom
use of alcohol, all my symptoms reappear, but in minor scale.

I hope that anyone who may have similar experience or others
can add some information conerning what this could be.

Best regards Arne

PS. Can alcohol have effect on the gallbladder? DS.