Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain in lower abdomen before passing a stool, and a consistent pain 2-3...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Pain in lower abdomen before passing a stool, and a consistent pain 2-3" to left of belly button

The title summarizes the problem.  My school doctor diagnosed me with IBS, and I'm quite skeptical as I've had pain without diarrhea or constipation.  The most troubling pain is the almost paralyzing pain in my lower abdomen 5-15 minutes before passing a stool that occurs almost randomly once every few weeks, but sometimes more frequently (such as twice in the past week).  I've been trying to correlate this to the size/hardness of my stools, but it doesn't seem to follow a trend.  My stools are anywhere from normal to quite hard, and can be quite large from time to time (large enough to cause rectal bleeding due to tearing), or also very narrow. This is despite what I consider to be a normal diet (with fiber supplement) and sufficient water intake.  There are times when I become constipated, normally after passing a large stool, which is probably an innate reaction to the pain.  One time, in fact, I ejaculated a little bit upon passing a stool.  That too was somewhat troubling.  Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated as to what may be causing my problems.  Almost forgot... I've had a consistent pain to the left of my belly button that ranges from a dull pain to the feeling of a slight muscle tear, but no hernia or sports injury there.  It feels to be relatively internal, and it will feel uncomfortable to push on the area when at its worst.
IBS can be considered.  You should also exclude other causes, such as colitis or anatomical causes.  A colonoscopy should be considered to rule out these possibilities.  

Specialized tests like motility studies and anorectal manometry can be considered if the constipation continues without a clear cause.

If the tests continue to be negative, IBS can be considered - Zelnorm may be a medication that can help.  I agree with increasing fiber in the diet - which can help regulate the stools.  

These options can be discussed with a GI physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I almost forgot to mention that I am a healthy 25 year old.  I am a bit underweight, but mostly due to being an ex- cross country runner.  My exercise has been cut in half since I stopped running, but I still get in about 4-5 days a week.  
One last thing... I never have blood in my stool.  There may be some fresh blood on it from my anus if passing a larger stool, but that's about it.  
hI,

I HAD SIMILIAR SYMPTOMS AND WAS DIAGNOSED WITH MECKLES DIVERTICULOSIS.  I HEARD THERE IS A SIMPLE BLOOD TEST TO DETERMINE THIS. I HAD TO HAVE SURGERY. YOU MAY WANT TO RESEARCH THIS.

GOOD LUCK,

JUDY