Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain in lower abdomin(abdomen)

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Pain in lower abdomin
Recently while on vaction I began to experience a low grade abdominal pain - low and in the center. I don't seem to have any other symptoms.

What might the problem be?
As you can imagine, there are many causes of abdominal pain.  If this has happened on vacation, then viral gastroenteritis would be possible.  This would also be associated with loose bowel movements and nausea.  

Amongst other causes of low, central abdominal pain would include an constipation, bowel obstruction, appendicitis, or less likely, an aortic aneurysm.  I would suggest plain films of the abdomen (KUB and upright) and a possible CT scan if there is no clear diagnosis on these preliminary studies.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I forget to mention that I am 70 yrs old and have a slightly enlrged prostate but the PSA has been normal.