Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain in lower back, tailbone, and rectum
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pain in lower back, tailbone, and rectum

Several months ago I had an episode of severe diarrhea and pain in the rectum region. I passed bright red blood during this episode and assumed that I had ruptered a hemmorhoid. I used anusol and soaked in hot baths and the problem seemed to resolve itself and I never had any more bleeding (which really scared me when it happened!). At the time I wasn't eating right and sitting up to 10 hours a day at a desk job so I decided to lose weight and change my lifestyle. In the past 3 months I lost over 30 lbs, eat healthy and exercise every day, take probiotics and supplements, and I have had no further problem until last week. I made the mistake of carrying a very heavy box up the stairs at home and came down the next morning with pain in my lower back. Over the past 5 days, the lower back pain has now spread into my tailbone and I'm having the rectum pain again for the first time in months. This is making me miserable as I thought I had gotten past it. I have trouble sitting again and I'm back to soaking in hot bath and using anusol. I'm not having any bowel trouble this time however and no blood has been passed. Is it possible that I reaggravated the hemmorhoids that had been healing by straining with the heavy box? When I sit the pain gets worse and when I exercise the pain seems to go away for a while but gets bad again once I cool down. The lower back pain I seem to be able to control by moving my hips and readjusting. Could a pinched nerve in the lower back cause pain in the rectum? Thank you for your help.
Tags: Pain, rectum
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
A hemorrhoid or anal fissure can be causing the symptoms.  The pain can certainly be caused by these disorders - especially the anal fissure.  Other causes of blood in the stool would include diverticulosis as well as inflammatory bowel disease.  

I would consider being see by your primary care physician.  An anoscopy can be considered to look for hemorrhoids.  If there is no evidence of disease on physical exam, a flexible sigmoidoscopy can be considered to look further in (i.e. looking for diverticulosis as well as inflammation in the bowels).

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
9 Comments
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
The blood in the past could have been a hemorrhoid. What you describe now is nearly certainly not: the hallmarks of hemorroids (hemorrhoids) are either  bleeding or noticeable swelling or perianal pain. Pulled muscle, pinched nerve are on the list. You didn't state your age or sex, which could also impact the list of possibilities. You'll get a better answer by seeing your doctor.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
I have a question, you being a surgeon and all. Have you ever heard of Cansema blackroot salve that people put on tumors and skin cancer and it is suppose to draw the tumor out? If so, do you know much about it?Thanks in advance!
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
I'm aware of it. Here's a report of a woman who lost most of her face using it:
http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1540595
I can tell you the world is full of bogus claims for miracles, and there are people making lots of money from peoples' desire to find such a miracle. Not only is it bogus, but it's shameful and ought to be criminal.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
A follow up to my post. The pain that I felt has dramatically decreased the past few days. I began taking two ounces of Aloe Vera juice in the morning and almost immediately the discomfort in the rectum went away. The tail bone and lower back strain pain has also gone away for the most part again. My question is, was this due to the Aloe Vera, or did the strain simply heal itself and since it was the root of the problem, caused all the other pain to go away as well?

What exactly is an anal fissure? I took nexium for 3 years for GERD and a relative recently told me that PPI's can cause colitis and other intestinal problems. I also read where nexium is only approved for short-term use (4 to 8 weeks). Did my doctor make a mistake in prescribing it for me for 3 years and could the nexium have caused the intestinal problems and bleeding?? Since losing the weight and getting off it, I feel so much better!
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
Where did you get the aloe vera juice??
Blank
Avatar_m_tn

   Aloe vera juice does not benefit the GI tract,. In fact, it can causes diarreaha in many who drink it.

  Anal fissures are small splits or tears of the mucosa.--  caused by  diarreaha /  constipation

  PPIS have shown to be quite safe in long term studies thus far at least. Some people have been taking them since they've been in existance.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn

  For a long time I ignored the occaisional Pain in the rectal-tailbone area.When I had bleeding, I used Prep H and the "hemorriods" seemed to heal.

Then came the day when I seemed to have to "go", and instead of any feces, there was a toilet bowl full of blood. Disbelief! Shock!!!!!!!!!.........

Denial. It did not occur again for a while. Then another hemmorage in the toilet bowl!No feces, just blood.Tons of bright red blood, as before.Shock! Consternation!Oh-Oh!.........

It took three appointments in rapid succession before I could  tell the Dr.

To make a long story short,Off to the specialist, all diagnostic procedures done, ....I had colorectal cancer.

Results:Perineal resection and Colostomy.Cancer Surgery. Stage 1.

The cancer was growing on a POLYP in the colorectal area, and had invaded the mucosa, but not penetrated the wall.

Prognosis: "cure" ......I have a 15% chance that it will kill me in 5 years,or, if you prefer a positive spin, an 85% chance that it won't.

Advice: If you have ANY sign of blood, do not self treat or self diagnose. RUN! don't walk to the Drs.' office

SHY? Think of the alternatives!!!!The possibilities, the probabilities! DO IT NOW!......... Good Luck,

A Survivor.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
Im kind of nervice about telling people this... but here i go.
I went to the bathroom today and there was blood in my stool. I didnt mind it much figured it would go away. When the next day came i went to the bathrom again. More blood and i dont know what to do.  I dont feel sick or any kind of pain though. I hope somone can help me out cuz this is freaking me out.!
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
I have pain at the base of my tailbone just next to the rectum when sitting.  It is an odd discomfort and pressure.  I had blood in my stool a few days ago and not sure what it could be.  Does it seem that it could be anything serious??
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
A related discussion, help please was started.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
A related discussion, Retal bleeding and back pain was started.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
A related discussion, Recurring Pains was started.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
A related discussion, Pain was started.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
A related discussion, lower abdominal discomfort was started.
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
A related discussion, IS BY INTESTINES IN MY BACK? was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
,
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
3 Reasons Why You are Still Binge E...
Jul 14 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating: What Your Closet ...
Jul 09 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank