Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain in lower left quadrant

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Pain in lower left quadrant

I am a 49 year - old male, and I have been having pain in the lower left quadrant of my abdomen for 7 months. It is worst in the late night/early morning. My colon seems almost swollen in the morning. It had subsided somewhat during the day, but now it seems to go on for the full 24 hours.
It starts and stays in the lower left, but often it also spreads and hurts all over the lower abdomen.
I have had a colonoscopy, a ct scan, and a lower bowel series, and they are all negative. One doctor said it could be IBS, and another said with no alternating diarrhea or constipation it can't be IBS. I don't have either of those symptoms. They seem to have ruled out diverticulitis, although I have a few diverticula, but my doctor says most people have a few of those. So no one can tell me what it is. It hurts a lot, and makes life difficult.
Is there anything I can do for this? One doctor wants to do a laparoscopy of the abdomen, but I'd rather not get cut open, if I don't have to. Can this be IBS, or should I get some more kinds of tests?
Typical causes of left lower quadrant pain would be diverticulitis, irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel syndrome, or a mass.  However, wtih a negative colonoscopy and CT scan, it makes the more serious causes less likely.  

IBS may be a possibility - this is normally considered after the other tests are negative (as in your case).  You may want to consider discussing treatment for this, including discussion of antispasmodic agents.  

Another possibility would be an inguinal hernia, which can have pain radiating to the left lower quadrant.  A pelvic CT scan can evaluate this.  

I agree that laparoscopy should be last resort, but if the pain continues without a clear cause, this may be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I will be away until January 4th.  I will answer your question when I return.

Happy holidays,
Kevin, M.D.
I am a 49 year old female with some similar symptoms.  I have gone to multiple doctors.  I have had multiple tests and have even had two laparoscopic examinations by ObGyn doctors.  The last laparoscopic examination showed an "active lesion" with adhesions and the colon attached to the abdominal wall.  Since those findings were outside the expertise of the ObGyn I have been referred back to my GP. The last test I've had was a colonoscopy by a gastroenterologist.  It showed nothing abnormal with the inside of the colon.  Unfortunately, I think the problem is on the outside of the colon.  I hope to convince my GP to refer me to a general surgeon familiar with laparoscopic techniques.  

Have you monitored your body temperature at various times?
I recently was taking Z-pac and had some abdominal pain...since then Ive had Diarrhea every day for the past 3 weeks, now I have pain in my lower left side and it hurts more when I move around.
Ive looked up alot of info on this but Im coming up with nothing,I have an appt. with my doc but am still wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why I might be having this pain in this area.
A related discussion, lower stomach pain was started.
A related discussion, lower left quadrant and lower left back sharp pain was started.