Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain in my Right Side

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Pain in my Right Side

Hi, for 4 weeks I've had very serve pain, Ive tried pain relief/anti-inflammatory tablets etc.
I ended up in hospital as I could barley walk for 3 days they done my bloods twice and ultra sounds both come back fine, so I was released. Still 4 weeks on still as ill few days ago pain was so serve I was throwing up several times. Currently on Tramadol and naproxen and sickness tablets they are spacing me out but not taking away the pain can anyone help?
the pain is right side of my belly button and always down the right hand side..... I do have history of IBS and had Polyps in the past and have a family history for Chrones.

I seem to be passing stool but the pain in killing me and making me feel so sick and run down, I can't continue like this, any advice welcome.

Hi!
I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. The most comman causes of pain in right side of navel are appendicitis and kidney stones. However, usually an ultrasound detects these. If your doctor really suspects appendicitis or kidney stone then you may need a CT scan.
However, since you have a family history of Crohn’s and personal history of IBS and polyps, then further investigations should be done in this light. In all probability you symptoms are due to an inflammatory bowel condition. Blood works and ultrasound cannot diagnose these.
A number of times a gastroenterologist is able to diagnose these conditions by clinical examination and detailed medical history. At other times a few tests are conducted. Blood tests to rule out anemia, stool test to look for white blood cells, sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy etc are used to diagnose ulcerative colitis. Braium meal and follow through, endoscopy etc are done to rule out GERD, Crohn’s disease etc. Irritable bowel syndrome is diagnosed by elimination of other causes. Gluten is a complex protein present in four main grains---wheat, rye, barley and oats. If you have gluten intolerance, then you probably have celiac disease or Non Celiac gluten sensitivity. There are blood tests called celiac test to detect gluten intolerance. Crohn’s disease is a difficult entity to diagnose. Along with gut symptoms skin disorders and arthritis too are commonly seen with Crohn’s. An upper GI series using barium dye is done to see the condition of small intestines. The degree of involvement of the large and small intestine may vary from person to person.  A biopsy is the most confirmatory. An elevated ESR, low protein, minerals and iron in blood are the other findings in Crohn’s which may or may not be present. A recent advancement in Crohn’s diagnosis is video capsule endoscopy.
A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Please consult your doctor regarding this.

I sincerely hope you will find this information useful in your journey towards better health.

Hope you get well soon! Good Luck and take care!