Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain in right side, under ribs

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Pain in right side, under ribs

Have been in pain for about 6 months and would appreciate any ideas. I am a 27 year old male.

In November 2001 started feeling general abdominal pain, and was very constipated. Doctor told me to eat more fiber. Then he had me on general laxatives. Pain got much worse, went to a gastro doctor, and he did an endoscope. Found that my colon was twisted and telescoped, and "straightened" it out. He then put me on myralax to keep things flowing to let the colon recover. At this time I moved states, and starting to see another doctor. He took me off the Myralax and put me on colace (stool softener) as of about feb. 15  which I am still on. I have still been constantly constipated and general dull pain on my right side under my rib cage that is always there. iI feel a hard grape size object under the bottom right side of the rib, my doc said this is a floating rib....

Also, I have had a serious lack of energy and headaches as well as back pain.

I have also had an upper GI, found nothing. And an ultrasound, that found nothing. Will be having another gall bladder test in a few weeks, that checks gall bladder function.

Any ideas?
Hi!
I have exactly the same symptoms. All the test showed nothing abnormal. I had my gallbladder taken out 20 years ago. I ended up in emergency last Sunday, vomiting and moving my bowels at the same time (not diahrea). It felts as though a band was tightening around my middle. The emergency room doctor took exays and said that I was constipated. I don't see how this was possible since between 10:30 PM and 2 AM, I had 5 bowel movements. It felt as though something twisted under my right rib cage just minutes before I started vomiting. They gave me a shot for nausea and 2 shots for pain and sent me home. Besides from being tired the next morning, I was fine.  But the same ache is still there under my right ribs and at times it feels like something is swollen. My gastro says IBS, but I think it's possible that something is twisting in my intestines. Please, if you find the answer, please post. I'll do the same.......Aniee
I need to post but says I can't cause guestions are full.
I had the dull pain under my ribs (right side) for years and years.  Had all the tests, with no answers from the doctors.  I learned to live with it after a while.  Finally, a new doctor told me I had to lose weight and recommended that I read the book- Eat, Drink and Be Healthy, by Dr. Willett.  After reading the book I decided to cut out all Hydrogenated fats from my diet.  If you read the labels of packaged foods you will see it listed as an ingredient.  After about a month the pain in my side went away.  I think the liver has a hard time processing the Hydrogenated fat.
You could have pancreatitis,I'm a 29 year old female and just left the hospital today and thats what's wrong with me.The pain gets very bad under your right rib and will move around to your right side of the back.Ask your doctor to test you for pancreatitis.
Hope you feel better!!
Angie
the last rib on the right side(floating rib) on my back feels like a ball at the end. i do get a pain when i strain myself too much. when i press its a bit soft though not too soft. any idea what this could be. I have been having this for the last 1-2 years. visiting doctor shortly.any idea of what this could be? i am 28years old
Did you have a colonoscopy (views the colon) rather than an endoscopy (views the upper digestive tract)? If the Dr saw that your colon was twisted, usually the scope will straighten it out (but mine immediately twisted up again worse than before).  I'm on Miralax and it has helped tremendously with the pain and to keep things moving right along. With the Colace, it pulls water into the intestines and your headache, fatigue,... may be due to dehydration. Drink plenty of fluids! I've found that a high fiber diet makes my pain worse, I eat meat, veggies & fruits but in frequent small meals. If you felt better on the Miralax, contact your first Dr and have him re-new your perscription. Good luck!