Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain in right side under rib

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Pain in right side under rib

I have been having pain in my right side, middle chest area and it radiates to my left and middle of my back.  This has been going on for a year or better.  I have had so many tests.  I have Mitral Valve Prolapse also, I have been to the hospital on two occasions because of chest pain.  I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis also.  But this pain will not cease and desist.  I just recently had an EGD and a Gall Bladder scan. The EGD was normal and when they called on the Gall Bladder scan, they referred to it as basically normal.  I would like to know how precise the scan is in detecting abnormalities in the Gall Bladder and if there is an additional test that can be done to determine if the pain that I am experiencing is due to a bad Gall Bladder.  I cannot in my logical mind just say, "Okay the test prove nothing so there is nothing wrong."  There is pain and severe at most times, where it radiates across my chest to the left and the middle of my back.  I just want to know what is wrong and have it taken care of.  Is that so much to ask.  Any help would be appreciated at this time.

Thank you.

~Ellen~
Tags: Pain
Dear Ellen,
there are a number of different tests to evaluate the gall bladder.  If you recently underwent a CCK- assessment of gall bladder contraction, then you had a test which is very sensitive for the diagnosis of gall bladder disease, even in the absence of gall stones.  If the CCK test is normal but you still beleive that the problem is the gall bladder, then removal of the gall bladder would be needed.  If the pain persisted , then a problem in the gall bladder was not the cause.  Needless to say, doctors are reluctant to perform surgery in the absence of an accepted indication and patients are not interested in surgery when the benefits are explained in the terms.

Has your doctor looked for other possible causes e.g. gastroparesis small intestine pathology?  Abdominal pain is often a diagnostic dilemna and a multitude of tests may be needed before a diagnosis is made.
Ellen,
I know exactly what you are saying.  I have the same set of symptoms and all the tests are negative also.  They went in with a laparoscope last fall and found a bleeding ovarian cyst and removed it.  I improved for a couple of months and then it was back.  They went in again and found more cysts, took the ovaries out.  Now, here we are (since February), I have daily discomfort under my right rib also.  The past month and a half it has gone into chest pain and radiates up into the shoulder and back.  He is planning an ERCP for two weeks.  

Have you had several bowel movements a day?  Is yours aggravated by activity.  Can you wear a waistband around your middle or panty hose?  I can't stand my jeans and haven't been able to for a long time.
Tracie:  Thank you for your reply.  I can't stand to wear anything tight against my stomach.  I can't even stand to have my husband put his arm around my stomach at night when we are going to bed.  I don't wear panty hose anymore.  I wear slacks to work.  Some days I have several bowel movements a day and then there are days that I go without having any.  I have had a hysterectomy in '95' and then my ovaries out in '96' so those weren't options in this case.  I find it amazing that we can have these symptoms but no diagnosis.  I don't deal well with Dr.s who say that the test came out negative isn't that wonderful.  Yea well thats great so where is the pain coming from.  I am starting to doubt the medical industry.  In as much as technology today is phenominal, people are still in pain and they cannot seem to find the reason for the pain.  I am wondering if the item in the body that is causing the pain needs to blow up before they find out what it is.  But then it won't matter will it because the person who was in pain will probably be dead or wish they were at that point.  Sorry I sound so cynical but I just can't help it.  I can't believe that no one can pin point what the problem is.  My ankles started swelling a year ago, they PRESUME it is some form of arthritis, however, it is such a non-specific disease, or so I have been told, they cannot pin point the exact disease, until it becomes rheumatoid I PRESUME.  Obviously, that is the problem here, this must be such a non-specific disease that they cannot figure out what it is.

Well thanx for listening.  Hope you are feeling better.

~Ellen~
Ellen,
I also have had a hysterectomy in 1995 and the ovaries last year.  Do you take estrogen?  Have they done an ERCP on you?  Have they tested the sphincter of Oddi?  Are you seeing a gastroenterologist?  Have they done an ERCP?  You can e-mail me and we can talk more privately:  ***@****-net.com
Tracie
Dear Ellen and Tracie,
       I have been having uper abd pain since May of this year. I have posted a question- Upper LEFT abd pain. I am just writing a reply because I am sharing in your frustration! I am part of that medical profession. I am an RN in an ICU. Even having access to so many physicians doesn't help. No one is willing to listen and just say well maybe you should do this or that.
       Anyway, I can't believe the number of people who post that have unexplained abd. pain. On one hand it makes me feel better but on the other hand it is very discouraging(sp). I am going for a second opinion with a GI specialist on Nov. 1st. I made that appointment back in Sept. I think that is pretty ridiculous too! At first I had great hopes of finding the problem with this MD but now I'm not so sure.
       Please let me know if either of you find out anything more about what is going on with you and I will do the same.
                                  Elizabeth
Elizabeth,
Have you ever heard of the use of Nitroglycerine for suspected gallbladder disorders?  My doctor gave this to me.  I get some relief from it for an hour or two.  I do wonder about sphincter of oddi dysfunction too.
Tracie
I've never heard of using nitro to treat gallbladders! That is very interesting! How much do you take and how often?
                              Thanks,
                                   Elizabeth
Elizabeth,
I really think he is giving me the nitro to cover two of his areas of thoughts of what is going on.  I think he feels it may be sphincter of oddi dysfunction or else calculi in the biliary ducts.  The nitro opens up the ducts through the whole body and for some strange reason it gives me relief.  That tells me that it probably is not the gallbladder itself.  All of my tests on the GB have been normal.  I read further in the archives of this forum on the sphincter of oddi and the symptoms described there are exactly what I have going on.  (That helps me so much to know I am not CRAZY!).
I forgot to tell you, I take it on a p.r.n. basis when the pain is very intense.  I take l (.4 mg) and then in five minutes take another if the pain hasn't let up enough.  Usually two helps.  I've never taken 3 because it does such strange things to your body.
Hi Ladies,

I too was having the same pain. Still am actually.  Finally I went in for a CCK Hida Scan.  This test is specifically for the gallbladdder - done in Feb.99.  Came back fairly normal.  Then 2 wks ago I had another one done due to the pains coming back badly.  The repeated Hida Scan showed that now my gallbladder's ejection factor(which is what they measure) went from 30% to 12%!  It should be at 35%.  Which is why the doc questioned whether or not it was gallbladder after the first scan.  Well, it is and it is coming out!!

So, what I am trying to say is keep on the doc about the pain.  I DO NOT have gallstones.  So, dont let them tell you because all these tests show NO stones that it is not your gallbladder.  I am living proof it is.  

The pain I have goes from rt upper back, rt shoulder, rt upper quandrant (under ribs), lft shoulder and back and mid line stomach.  So, just keep after the doc!

Just by the by, I have read that once the gallbladder is removed and they do a pathology on it, gallstones are usually found.  It is just they were too small to be detected by any of the tests.

Good Luck!
Phyllis,
Is there more than one kind of Hida Scan?  I am not sure if they looked at the ejection thing on mine.  Is a CCK a certain type?  I don't know if they know how much mine emptied.  They said it filled and emptied fine, not how much.  It was quite large on the scan.  (?????????)  Can distention stretch it out?
We are a mystery.  Thanks for your input.   More to think about.  Will be curious to see if this does indeed take care of your pain.  God Bless You!
Tracie,

The CCK component in the hida scan I had, is a hormone your own body makes.  It is directly linked to the gallbladder and liver.

If you have had a hida scan and were told it filled/emptied fine, then you may have a problem other than gallbladder.

From what I was told, the CCK hida scan, is pretty much the final diagnostic tool for checking gallbladder disease.

Good luck to you.
Phyllis
Ellen,
I have been experiencing a pain in my right side, beneath my rib cage for about 18 months.  It is not a constant thing but stress seems to aggrevate it.  Sometimes it is like a sharp knife in my side and I can't even manage to take a normal breath for about 5 minutes.  I have been tested for hepatitis (every kind), mono and have had a liver biopsy.  After the liver biopsy the doctor said that I had a fatty liver and to lose twenty pounds and it would go away.  I lost 40 pounds and I still have the problem.  I hate to go back to the doctors because they act like I am a hypochondriac or something.  I also have elevated liver counts, has this been a problem for you?
Vanessa,
My blood counts and serum amylase and everything is normal so far.  Nothing, I mean nothing, is out of the ordinary.  I am not overweight either.  You didn't mention your gallbladder.  Is it okay too?
Dear Ellen.  I have also the same pain.  I know how you feel.
I went to Mayo Clinic in Scotsdale and spend 15 days on test.  The doctors said all test were ok but I was feeling terrable.  I coudn,t eat and have a lot of nausea.
Well, at last do you know what I had  ??
* Superior mesenteric artery syndrome *
Tell your doctor to check this on you.
Hope to be help you on some, and also hope that you don,t have this syndrome.           Carmen.
* Superior mesenteric artery syndrome *
Tell your doctor to check this on you.
I had an ultra sound done on my gall bladder and they did not find anything.  I have had a few people tell me that it sounds like my gall bladder.  It seems to act up the most when I get very tired or stressed.  I don't want to wait until I have a severe gall bladder attack before I find out what is wrong, but the doctor doesn't seem to take me seriously.
Ellen.  It,s  me again.  Just would like to know if you find out about * Superior  Mesenteric  Artery  Syndrome *
I am now 48 year old and this problems starts when I was 23.  Please, ask your doctor about this Syndrome or look it on internet to see if this is your case.  It is a very rare case, but it happens.       Carmen.
Carmen,
Were you always so sick that you didn't eat or did it get progressively worse over time.  Did you refer yourself to Mayo Clinic or did your doctors send you.  How do you know when to give up and quit after the tests are all negative?  Was it ever just a dull, constant aching?  What did they do to help you?
I am sorry that can,t understand what you mean by dull and aching, I am mexican and don,t speack a good enlish. Just to tell you that I just call Mayo Clinic for apoinment. There are 2 persons you may call theme.  Beatriz Argeta  and  Ermilia Vargas, they made everthing for me.  May I ask where are you from ??  Because I have a frien at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonsville and he is exelenet doctor. I also feel worse when I am stressed. Please, make this, go to bed and go down ( I don,t know how I tell you in english ) with your face and body down ( not up ) see if the pain goes better and then tell me.  If you like some more detail feel free to mail me- ***@****        And the last thing, the doctor told me * Carmen, every thing is normal * I was angry and said * Sorry doctor but I am not going home till I know what I have *.  The rest I preffer to tell you by mail.  Goog luck.
Dear All,
After all the negative tests, today I had results with my ERCP. They found stones in the gallbladder that for some reason wouldn't show on anything else.  I hope and pray that when they remove it the pain is finished.
what is ercp.  I too have pain in urq and had ultrasound today that showed no gallstones.  wonder what will be next test.
Dear Tracie,
      I am so glad they found results with your ERCP! No problems after the procedure? I ended up with pancreatitis after mine. What is your next step then? Will you be having your gall bladder out? Nothing has shown up that points to gall stones or gall bladder problems. I am going to a new gastroenterologist on Monday. I hope he can help me.
                        Take care,
                            Elizabeth
Tracie, I am so glad for you that they found the problem.  I hope everything works out for you.  The pain I have is getting progressively worse.  What started out on the right side and middle chest has now radiated to the around the right side to the middle of my back and my left side.  The pain is always there, it never eases up, it is agitated whenever I move, last night in bed I had a severe pain in my right side that lasted about 5 minutes, I prayed to God to make it go away.  I kept saying I can't go to the hospital, I have to work.  The pain eventually went away, but it was short lived.  I can actually feel like there is something swollen on the right side.  It is a really weird feeling.  I never feel good.  But again the pain is constant, not unbearable to the point where I would have to go to emergency, yet, but always there.

Again, I am so glad for you, let us know how things go for you.  Good luck and God Bless.

~Ellen~ :)
To all:
I also have same basic pain as everybody on this forum.  Mine started 1 day after I worked out with weights, I hadn't worked out in over a year and I pushed myself way to hard. When 2 weeks went by with no improvnment, I started getting worried. Went to doc he examined me and ordered bloodwork, urinalysis and wanted me to go for a sonogram of abdomen.  My pain is dull and constant in the URQ, sometimes it feels worse (more sharp) right under my ribs on the right side, close to the center. But the dull pain is there always.  Blood and urine came back ok but I was petrified to go for scan.  Three days ago,(this has been going on for 2 months I got up some courage and went to the E.R.  I didn't tell the er doc that I saw a doctor previosly.  He also ordered blood, urine and sonogram of URQ.  Gallstones were found (many) also he thinks rectus muscle may be torn.  Like other women on this forum, I didn't think it was my gallbladder because I dont have severe pain and it doesn't seem to be related to food. Sometimes its so vague that until I think about it I dont recognize it. For the record I'am 37 yr. old white female that doesn't drink but was on pain meds (vicodan) for many yrs. for an unrelated injury. One more thing I was very relieved to know that there are other women out there like me, not that I want any of us to be sick.  This is going to sound crazy but when the doc told me I have gallstones, I was almost happy, do you know what I mean?
For the past three years I have had pain in my RUQ under my bottom right ribs.  It hurts when I take a deep breath.  It also seems to worsen when I drink alcohol (very rarely) and certain foods seem to aggravate it - for instance i can't seem to eat fatty or rich foods.  My doctor thought it was my gallbladder, so removed it in 1996.  Unfortunately, the pain returned soon after.  The pain sometimes becomes quite severe, and I have been admitted to the emergency room on several occasions.  Generally, however, it is more chronic and never goes away completely.  It sounds very similar to that of Courtney.  Can anyone give me any ideas as to what might be causing this pain?
HI
I am writing this to you from Australia.
I have had almost the same problem as you. Though I had my Gall Bladder removed about three years ago.
this problem had had me spent the 3  weeks of last month in hospital. Prior to that since june 99 when this all flaired up. I was spending about 4/5 days in hospital just seeking pain relief.
I have had all thetests: Catscan,gstrography,colonoscphy,utrasounds,xrays.
There have shown that there is no evidence of irritable bowel, and that there are no stons not sludge in the bile duct.
my liver funtion tests we abnormal only on the first attack in june, but not since then, I have now been placed in the Chroinic pain catorgery, not that that make me happy.
My GP must now apply to the Director General so that I can continue to recieve the narcotics that I need to keep the pain manageable.
I am on patches at the moment to try to keep me out of hospital.
the next step is a Biliory Mamnometry (I think that is how it is spelt). This is where they measure the pressure of the sphinter of oddi t(that is the one at the bottom of your bile duct). they THINK that it could be disfunctioning.
so can feel all that you are going through. may be request a mamnometry with your GP

Take Care
Suzanne
I have had chronic pain in the upper abdomen which goes around to my back.  I had my gall bladder removed over two years ago, as the doctors felt the sludge in my gallbladder was causing me to have pancreatitis. I had ercp's, and gastric tests done, also the billary mamnometry and they still do not know what to do, for my chronic pancreatits and constant heartburn, gerd. I am on all the stomach meds that are available and still no cure . Would like to hear from others that are dealing with recurrent  pancreatitis.
Hi Everyone,
     I just wanted to let you know that I had my second opinion visit yesterday. I am much happier with this MD then the last. The bad part is that he thinks my problem is chronic pancteatitis. He isn't ready to 'label' me with it yet. I have to go for an MRI and MRCP and then he wants me to have some blood work done. I am glad that he is leaning toward a diagnosis this time. I am also glad that he isn't planning anything like another ERCP or the sphincter manometry. On the other hand, chronic pancreatitis isn't the best news either. He also put me on large doses of pancreatic enzymes with each meal and wants me to take two tylenol every 6 hours around the clock. I say tylenol? I don't think that will do anything but I am willing to try.
     How is everyone else doing? Keep me updated if anyone has anything to share.
            Elizabeth
Dear Elizabeth,  I am on the pancreatic enzymes, that I take with each meal, the GI doctor's feel this can help with the pain
but I still had to be put on Pain medication as I have been dealing with chronic pancreatitis for years.   I do hope the enzymes will work for you as they can increase how many you take with your meals.  Have they told you to take them with a snack in between meals? This is what they have suggested for me.
I hope everyone of you are feeling better.  

I have also been experiencing pain in my URQ and middle back right side.  I had my Gallbladder removed in April of 99 because they diagnosed me with Stones.

Since the surgery I have continued to have the pain.  I have had a CT-Scan on the Abdominal Area to Pelvis, Cystoscopy with x-ray of the kidneys, EKG, MRI-Brain Scan for headhaches, x-ray of the small intestines, Liver Function Test, Chem 7 test, and a MRCP to check the bilary tree for stones.  All these test came back negative.

I experience nausea and dull pain in my URQ and middle back constantly. Headhaches come and go.  I am at the end of my rope and do not know what to do.  Does anyone out there have some suggestions or ideas.  I do not drink, I am 34 years of age, male, and not overwieght.  

Thanks,

Sam
I recently had a hysterectomy (kept ovaries) and during my recovery have had the same pain urq, spasm attack in back, etc. Due to surgery, I was not sure of gas pain or ??? At my post op doc said pain was not related to surgery, too high, etc. I had  an abdominal/gall bladder ultrasound yesterday and do not yet know the results... except the technician said "no gallstones". I should have been happy.. but I need an answer! Everyone thinks the timing is odd  and related to surgery.... but because I had an enlarged uterus that was pressing on my organs I really can't say that this pain under my rib did not exist before - I used to describe it as feeling pregnant with some little foot resting on my rib cage. Oh well, I will post if they have found something in the test. Good luck to all. I am scared, while being tested the wall had pictures of everything from fetus ultrasounds to aorta aneurysms... geez, what happened to posters of puppies??? I am 38 white female.
First of all I want to say that I am totally amazed to learn that there are so many of us experiencing the same symptoms !! I am a 39 year old female.
I've been sick for 9 monthes: heartburn,weight loss, some reflux, nausau every morning....but the worst is the chronic pain in my URQ. Have had way too many tests: ultrasounds, x-rays, scans: nothing showed anything until I had a HID-A-SCAN that showed my gallbladder was not working.  The normal score should be 35, mine was a 9.  I was so excited to find this out.  Planned to have my gallbladder out and then be fine !!!  Well, had it out 2 weeks ago and feel exactly the same.  Now the doctor thinks it could possible be the sphincter of the oddi and I'm awaiting an appt with a doctor to perform a test for this.  Does anyone have any information about this ?  I am at my wits end.  My quality of life stinks as I know most of yours do, too.
Also, they found no stones at all in my gallbladder, although they said it was inflamed and had scar tissue.  What would cause this ?  A problem with the sphincter of oddi ?  I'm wondering if all my symptoms point to one problem, or are more things wrong ?
Any information is truly appreciated.
I just returned from the hospital where I spent 5 days dealing with acute pancreatitis (surprise, surprise).  They aren't sure if it is gallstones now.  I am very sick still.  I can't seem to keep food in my body.  They want me to get well so they can take the gallbladder out.  They are so afraid it is what caused the pancreatitis and not the ERCP.  I'd never advise anyone to have that procedure if they have to go through the horror of this problem.  Right now I am totally incapacitated.  I don't know whether to let them take it out and hope I am not like so many of you who say you still hurt.

Out of curiosity, how did they treat your pancreatitis?
Tracie:  What was the procedure for the ERCP.  Do you think it caused the pancreatitis?  I went to my Dr. on Wednesday, he couldn't see me but one of his associates did.  She didn't think it was the gallbladder, she thinks it is some form of muscular problem, she gave me Vioxx, (an anti-inflamotor) to ease the pain.  The pain is still there.  I am now finding myself getting dizzy, nauseous, and having hot and cold flashes, my face gets burning hot.  Today, I was going in and out of nausausness, it was horrible.  I am getting really tired of this in a quick hurry.  

I hope you get better really soon, what are the symptoms of pancreatitis?  I hope they find out your problem soon.  

Take care.

Ellen :)
Hello all,
      I just wanted to answer some questions I've seen. An ERCP is a test where they put a scope down past your stomache into the duodenum. Then they visualize the duct from your pancreas to the small intestine by injecting dye into it. This way they can tell if there is an obstruction...usually a stone from the gall bladder. Unfortunately just by manipulating the pancreas one can get pancreatitis from the procedure. I was one of those people. The test itself was negative but I ended up in the hospital for 5 days. After I was out of the hospital they really didn't 'treat' me with anything. My MD was at a total loss as to what caused my original pain which returned as soon as my pancreatitis pain resolved. I was lucky in that the pancreatitis that was due to the ERCP resolved quickly. Still and all I was out of work for 3 weeks.
       Tracie, I hope you are feeling better. When did you first realize that something was wrong? You went home after your ERCP, right? Did you end up admitted through the ER?
       Fran, I am taking the enzymes with snacks also but I find that I am just not eating because I HATE taking pills. I know that I really shouldn't complain but i just hate it. I will however, admit that it is helping. The pain is still there but at least I can stand it.
                          Take care everyone....
                              Elizabeth
Hi Everyone.  It is really amazing that so many people have the same symptoms and doctors have no answers!  I have been dealing with reflux, nausea, occasional fever (once at 103), severe urq pain in back, midback, right side, and sometimes right chest.  I cannot eat anything fatty or acidic or the pain worsens.  I was diagnosed with a kidney infection when the fever came back and I started vomiting.  The doctor had me on Zantac and Bactrim.  The pain subsided some but didn't go away totally.  He has me on another antibiotic called Ciprofoxacin. And also Propulsid.  All of my tests came up normal, except for my urine test.  There were signs of blood in my urine.  Have you all been tested in this capacity?  I did not have a burning sensation symptom,but my doctor says that it is quite common for others not to have this symptom with a kidney infection.  Nausea, flank (back) pain, vomiting, abdominal pain, and fever all associated with kidney infections.  These two treatments of antibiotics has made some of my pain diminish, but not all the way.  I am still taking this 2nd treatment for another 7 days before I will know if it has really worked or not.  The doctor told me to be patient, that since I have had this for so long untreated, it can take a couple of months of treatment and proper dieting before I feel back to normal.  I will keep ya'll posted on the results.  Good Luck to everyone on a speedy recovery. Karen  
Whomever would like to talk about this, you can reach me at ***@****
Dear everyone: I don,t see that just one tell about the rare disorder * mesenteric artery *. Have some one ask there doctor to find out what is this ???  Belived, just take a chance to think about this syndrome.
Dear Elaine,

I work for a large gastroenterology practice and we see quite a few people who seem to present w/symptoms of gallbladder distress however after the usual processes return w/normal; work-up, ie. u/s, hida scan, ct scan neg for gallbladder stones etc...the next step would be to evaluate for a motility problem such as gastroparesis.  This diagnosis would leave you feeling pain under your rib cage right side (b/c this is where your stomach is located), a feeling of fullness after eating (even a small meal), nausea, etc.  A solid phase gastric emptying study could rule this out.  Good luck.
Dear L.,  I have been battling urq pain and nausea for almost 10 monthes now. Have had the endescopy, ultrasounds, x-rays, catscan, barium swallow:  all normal !   Had a hid-a-scan; scored 9.  I had my gallbladder out 3 weeks ago; it was imflamed and scarred, although they found no stones whatsoever.  I still have my sympstoms; mainly the urq pain.  I am schedualed to see another gastro dr. soon.  I am very interested in any information about gastroparesis, which you mentioned.  What do they do for it and what is the long term outlook ? Would it cause my gallbladder to become inflamed and scarred ?  Thank you so much for writing about this.  Thank you, Jane
To answer your questions, I came home after my ERCP.  I was hurting then.  I went to the ER that night, had a pain shot and came home.  The next night we went again where they found me to have an ileus (small bowel obstruction), and my amylase and lipase were out of this world.  The pancreatitis was most likely caused from the procedure.  I was treated n.p.o. for 2 whole days and then gradually weaned off the Demerol and now I am trying to regain some normal eating patterns.  I had days when I couldn't keep any food in my body.  Now, after much prayer and care, I am starting to eat.  My side is better, probably because I am not allowed to eat any fat!  I am really wondering if they found the cause of my pain.  I am scheduled to see the surgeon on Tuesday, the l6th.  I even had a drug induced psychosis from all the Demerol.  It was so horrible!  I would never advise anyone to have an ERCP!!!!!!!

Well since my last posting I have been in Hospital yet again, This is now to me beyond a joke, as I work full time ,and I have spent 2 months of the last 6 months in hospital. The stress levels not only on myself but on my partner are beginging to show as he only wants to here if I am pain free, which I have not been since the begining of SEPTEMBER. My Last visit to hospital resulted in a Pethadine fit (gee that was interesting), so I am on a diffrent opiate, which seems to be the only way to control the pain, oh yes I am now considered a CHRONIC PAIN sufferer.
I went to see a Associate Professor, who specialises in a condition known as sphinter of odddi disfunction, and I can say that is what I have. I can at least put a name to it.
I have a small problem though, because I have had the previous sphintorotomies, trying to find a surgon to preform an other is a bit like finding teeth in a chook, damm near impossible.
So I stand at the 15th dec 99 traveling over 150km to have a BILLIARY Menometry, from there I am either going to have the Slash down my tummy and be inhospital for the next 6 weeks or I will go home.
The doctors have given me a 50/50 chance that there will be
A)no problem from the menometry
B)that further nicks to the sphinter will solve the problem.
so those are my chances. I'd like to know how GP's are treating you over there once they consider you are suffering from chronic pain??
I am trying to cope with out the opiates, and with out any of the stronger pain killes as the contraindications are really really frightening, the other thing is that all the opiates also can cause the spasm of the sphinter of oddi, so I guess that I am back to square one.
I have tried the alternate medicine and threw up for 2 days straight,resulting in a lot of maxalon being thrown down my mouth,and ingected into to feew spots left on my body that are not alrady bruised, from previous injections.
hope to be able to get some feed back

i would like to know if anyone has info. on liver tumor. my mom was just diagnosed with it and i am a little worried....             thanks cher
I am a 41 year old male having the same symptoms as described by the others in this forum.  I have been having these pain and discomfort for over two years.  I have had every test imaginable ran including MRI and still have found no answer.  The pain in the side and back almost feels as if the skin is wet at times.  I have also experienced considerable belching.  Often times it feels that the waist of my pants is too tight and feels uncomfortable (the pants are not too tight).   I cannot correlate the symtoms (symptoms) to any particular food or activity.  I am more than willing to do what is necessary to alleviate the pain.  I am not overweight, have a good home life and work out with weight 3 days a week to stay in shape.  I do not subscribe to the "stress" theory that many people try to attribute this.  The pain and discomfort is not my imagination do not appreciate those that imply that you are a "hypocondriac".  I just wish that the doctors could find it and fix it.
Dear Jane and Suzanne
What is Sphincter of Oddi, Jane is that what you
do have, I know you wrote that is what the doctors
would be checking for. Suzanne,2 questions, why
are the doctors skeptical about a second treat-
ment if I understand your post correctly. Also what
are the condradictions of opiods? Did either of you
have pain in URQ which is like a dull pain most of
the time? The doctors still have not given me a
diagnosis. Even though the scan did find gallstones
they say I would have sharp pain that was more like
a heartattack, but they will not say my pain is not
do to a bad gallbladder.  I really hope we all pull
through these bad times. P.S. the reason I asked about
the pain meds is because I'am currently and have been
taking them prior to this problem for something un
related. So I dont know if I'am excasberating the
problem.  I wish you all the best. Please respond.
Dear Coutney,
      The sphincter of oddi is the valve around the bile duct and duodenum.  It is supposed to open in response to a meal to let the digestive juices through to the duodenum for digestion.  Evidently when the sphincter is too tight, there is a backup of bile, which can lead to pain.  It can also lead to jaundice, pancreatitis and abnormal liver function tests, from what I understand.
      I saw a new gastroenterologist (I like this one !!!) on Thursday.  Supposedly he's the top dog around here.  Anyway, he doesn't really think I have a sphincter dysfunction. He said I would be throwing up, which I have never done.  He feels my URQ pain is most likely a cartiledge imflammation. He gave me some Celebrex pills, and said if nothing changes in 4 or 5 days, he will consider giving me some kind of shot in that area.  I forgot what the shot will be.  Anyway this sort of makes some sense to me.  I was pretty violently sick in Feb. of this past year, and that's when the pain started.  If that doesn't do the trick, he said he would then consider gastroparesis, although he said with that dysfunction a person would feel EXTREMELY full after a few bites of food.
       So, I guess I'll just wait and see if these drugs work.  He also told me to take Prevacid.  I did last night and today is the first day that I can remember that I woke up NOT nauseus.  So, maybe I do have reflux too.  At the very least I have too much stomach acid.
     I hope I answered your questions about oddi.  Good luck.  Let me know how you feel.
     And if anyone has had cartiledge imflammation, please let me know how things worked out.  
This is unbelievable that no one can get straight answers out of their doctors in regards to the URQ pains.  It seems that it is a process of elimination.  Again, I had my gallbladder out in April because of stones and I still have the dull pain in my URQ that shifts to my back and radiates to my chest.  Sometimes I feel nausea and food seems to help.  I have had a MRCP, LFT, Chem 7, CT scan of ab to pelvis, etc.  All these test have been negative.  What can I do?
I, too, suffer from URQ pain.  I had my gall bladder out in 1990 and went painfree for about 3 years.  Then the pain returned and centers under my right ribs.  It is always there but the intensity changes.  I have had an ERCP and like many of you I ended up returning to the hospital with pancreatitis.  I have had a multitude of tests and during the ERCP the surgeon had to open up the sphincter at the duct because it had closed off.  I continued to have pain and then was told that it was the cartilege connecting the ribs.  Nothing has helped and I now hurt all the time with the pain radiating along the ribs to the back.  It is comforting to now that I am not the only one.  The last gastro doctor suggested that it was stress which only upset me more.
My pain is in the right side under the rib cage around to the back.  It sometimes travels toward the top center of my stomach. My chest feels heavy like I have to cough. I have chronic cystitis once a month. I actually thought that that was causing the pain.  But when I clear the infection, the pain still stays around.  I've been having this for about 2 years. A year ago I done the gallbladder scan and showed normal. I was rushed to emergency room yesterday evening, a gallbladder ultrasound was done and found nothing.  My chest xray shows a calcification in the gallbladder area but after doing ultrasound they said it did not show up so it is probably on the liver. I feel like I'm going crazy.
Dear Angela,
      Don't ever feel like you're going crazy. Your pain is real! I doubted myself after being in the hospital for 5 days with pancreatitis after an ERCP. It is an awful feeling to doubt yourself. Don't give up looking for an answer! Switch MD's if you have to. I did and I am so glad!!!
      Take care,
Elizabeth
HI
                 Courtney
They are not sceptical but rather worried doing the 3rd proccedure via an ECRP, as there is a great risk that they will pierce the douremum, this is potentially life threating. there is also a chance that they will do this during the menometry. apparently they give me a odds on bet, 50/50 that this will happen during any of the proccedures. Also that this will solve my problem

The contridictions of the opiods are the side effects, and the things that you cannot mix,here in Australia we have access to a book called MIMS which lists all the drugs avalible on the market here and their potential side effects. Reading up on all the drugs that I am on has just scared the DOO DOO out of me.

The pain for me is like a clamp that is fixed on my body from my right side rib cage to my back,it some times feels like it will hurt to breath, sort of like when you have run a lot, but it does not.On its bad days,it feels like some one is squeezing tighter and tighter, on its good days it is a nagging ache.
I have, since being out of hospital tried to cope with out the opioids but that has not been successful , so I am on the patches all the time.

My Gall Bladder was removed 3 years ago, your doctor is right when you have an attack of BILLIARY COLIC, the pain will be so intence and unlike any thing that you have ever suffered before.You will belive that you are having a heart attack trust me on this one.

The joy of all of this is if they slip I will be in Hospital for 6 weeks rather than overnight, so in there for Christmas, which I suppose is not a bad thing as I will atleast be in
airconditioning, as it gets real hot over here in December.
                 Jane
Tell your doctor he is talking through his nose.
Since june of this year I have not once thrown up because of this dysfunction, rather from the opiods that I have been given for the pain.My Gastro at first did not belive that I had SOD as my liver function tests were as close to perfect as can be. But I think that he has changed his tune now. The thing of feeling full after a few bites of food, gee I wonder how I got up to 80kgs in hospital if all I could have was a few bites of food.
I have been through the shot in the area and it was a local anasetic, did not work for me. also tried a test to see if the pain was nerve pain, where they give you 3 injections, in no particular order one is saline, one is fentonal, the other I forget. to see if there is any change in the pain. Well I Flunked that one too.
The only way that the dysfunction can be totalt rules out is when a memnometry is done.
I wish you luck.

Pat
You sound a lot like what I have gone through,good god if your sphinter had closed off then you are really a candidate for SOD
has you Gastro performed any sphinterotimies? (where the duct is nicked) if not why not.
Stress has not a drop in the Pacific to do with it. If it is SOD there are no triggers, not food , not stress, not sex, not anything. Tell your doctor to wake up smell the short black, then drink it.
Has the irritable bowl been dragged out yet, that is always a good convenient answer to any unexplainable pain.
Do not belive every thing that you are told, ask them to justify their diagnosis. Watch them stammer and stutter.
        Keep on trying
take care everyone

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,  Sorry to hear you have to go into the hospital, but I hope they are able to make everything right for you. Good luck.  Am I understanding correctly that you have been diagnosed with sphincter of oddi dysfunction ?  What have your symptoms been and how long have you been suffering from this ?  
My primary doctor (I have that awful kind of insurance where I need to ask her for permission every time I want to go see someone else) says she has nothing else to offer me but the shot of lanacane in my ribs.  She says I've had the best people look at me and they cannot find anything to be causing the URQ pain.
I have been on Celebrex for 7 days now, with not much relief.
Write me back here or you can mail privately to me at champagne.***@****.  Thanks, Jane
I recently was diagnosed with Diverticulosis
and IBS. I have had a pain under my lower right
rib cage and around my lower right ovary area.
The pain is further complicated due to a
pinched disk in my lower back found when I was
admitted to the hospital for four days of tests
recurrence of these problems has gone on for
one year last october and finally got to the
point I couldn't handle anymore. I also had a  
Colonoscopy-camera inserted up to see inside of
intestines and was diagnosed with the
Diverticulosis. I currently still have the
problems of constipation and then the attacks
of the Diver. It has been a nightmare that no
one seems to be able to understand. i still do
not understand why my intestine paines are on
the right side vs the left. I also had tests
for my liver, gall bladder etc etc-they are
normal. I am on medication twice a day at
present, very high fiber diet, exercise for my  
back one hr a day and walk 30mins which is two
miles each day. I cannot sit for more than 20 r
30 mins at a time due to my back and haveto
wear tennis shoes all the time. If my back is
bad it starts the stomach problems, if my
stomach acts up-my back goes which also effects
my right knee, ankle and foot due to the siatic (sciatic)
nerve. I am 50 I have had to resign three jobs
due to the events of this past year. I cannot
sit at a desk, work a computer etc. Good luck
to all of you-Please advise if my pains on
right are shared by anyone vs the normal left
side with these problems. Is this unusual?
This is my last posting to this site.  I did want to let you know my outcome.  They took my gallbladder out yesterday.  It had adhesions to other organs in my abdomen.  Everytime I ate it hurt and pulled like mad and stayed irritated all the time.  I am just trusting God that I won't continue to suffer like some of you are.  My heart goes out to you!  It is so discouraging!  When I walked or stretched or things like that I could feel this pulling inside.  They told me activity shouldn't affect the way I felt, but it did.  I am up running around now one day after surgery and feeling better already.

May God touch each and every one of you with His healing hand.
Trascie-I cannot belivevethe medical attention yuo have been brave enough to go through.I am a woman who has always lived with men, guess problems I now remember in the years prior I must have just put behind me and forgot. When I finally got knew I had to get to the bottom line--the tests showed things I could relate to in years gone by, it took at least 2 or 4 months for me to accept it and to try to make adjustments to my life that I now know must be adheired to or the pain and worsning of my condition will happen. This has been a very unacceptable condition to my family as I am MOM and up until this time I have been able to overcome the discomfort etc of these problems. My Galbladder has always been my main thought of the problem in my adult life but proved, two times, clear-liver and ov.'s clear as well. After having to leave three jobs in the  past year that were meaningful for my 24plus years in banking and mortgage processingdue to my back giving out and the theDiv. I am at a loss.I seem to catch sicknesses easier, I always hrt under right rib cage to ovary area frount and back. Medication twice daily high fiber diet, exercise daily and can only work 4 4 or 5 hrs a day. I can only dirve , ride, sit, etc for 20 mins at a time and haveto stand up. I useto go potty to frequenly now I do not go but about once a week. No matter what I say, the doctors just say "Yes"----I guress I am suppose to understand on my own-That is how I found this internet area. Did your problems go from the lower area of your right rib cage to your ovary area from front to back and have a burning or pulling felling as if burned or scared, was your stomach blotted, did yu loose alot of weight at first and then slow downeven when you did not eat alot? I saw how many times you questioned and/or responded, did you go to a gastrologists? Please respond again even though you said you wouldn't.God be with you and a little or alot of good luck!!!Kris
Hi Jane

Yep that
suzanne, saw your message to Jane. I am courious as of your age. I do not know if you read my message and could make a comparison to your problems. Posted 11/21. Did you gat advise form a gastrogilists? or from different types of doctors? Did you remember things that upset your stomach, or there about, in your earlier years that you never thought you would forget but somehow you did, are your pains on the ower right ide of your rib cage to yur obary area in front and back and worsened after the test you had? are you or were you over weight during this time and loose alot of weight real quick?  Did you have a time of frequient bowel movements and then still have the tearing feeling and then not go but once a week or more? Hope you are feeling better now and your mom is okay as she must wprry about you alot. I hope you will answer I am just learning my new life and am trying not to worry my 4 sons and wifes as well as my husband with my pain and confussion. My doctors just look at me and I finally figured out that they were trying to tell me this can not be reversed but can get worse. As my family is men-They just want me to be okay-that is their love, but this time mom cannot seem to meet their expections as she has always been able to do in the past. It is a very lonely feeling
My pain was not in the ovary area at all.  I did lose both ovaries in the process last year and this spring.  Incidentally they found multiple cysts.  The pain in the right mid-rib area continued.  I lived with it until this September when chest pain and back pain came on with it and it was much worse.  It didn't matter what I ate.  Activity made it worse.  When I rested and just didn't eat I was okay.  When you eat the digestive system moves and the adhesions on my gallbladder were pulling like mad.  It felt like someone was twisting my guts sometimes.  It was usually just an ache.  One doctor took my leg and pulled it around behind my back and I hurt bad.  He said adhesions then.  No one every talked about that again until the surgery to remove the gallbladder and there were the adhesions.  We wonder if the bleeding cyst I had on my ovary leaked up into the gallbladder area and caused inflammation of the tissue there and so adhesions grew.  It is hard to say.  I can only trust God right now to complete the healing.  I asked the elders of our church to pray over me before this surgery.  I am just trusting God that it is over.  He is my only hope.  I am feeling stronger each day.  No more rib pain!  As moms it is very hard to keep on going when we are so sick.  I think we just have to do what we have to do to be better.  I pray for all of you.
Kris

I have to say that i have not had those problems, just the pain in the URQ. What you have discribed with the bowel problems, sounds like, irritable bowel syndrome, and in spite if what every one is told, a high fiber diet does not make a scrap of diffrence to the condition. I am 34 years of age, I have lost weight but not fast.I was never considered obese, but at my worst I was 20kg's over. I am currently about 10kg's over.
This week is shaping up to be a bad one as I am fighting nausea 24hours a day, and I always seem to be very very tired. This I put down to the narcotics I am on to control the pain. I am fortunate that I have no children. But the stress of all of this is telling on my husband. Though what can one do? I suppose that one does as one can to resolve the situation.
good luck Kris

Suzanne
Suzanne-I ccan't thank you enough for responding. I know now that the IBS was responsibale for things I now remember in my younger life. I was so useto them at that time I thought everyone suffered the same or something. You are very young, no children, but in some time that seems to be quite prevelent for women of this day and time for women. I have never been one to go to the doctor except for normal yearly visits and our family GP for flues etc. It is like since Oct.98,with back problem and feling of a tearing in my ovary area, all on the right side, it has been one hing after anther. After e ospital visit I did al I was told as I noted in my last message. Thought would get back to whatever is normal--. This is the first time in m life I have not been able to ovecome problem that I had to face. I went back to Dr.s same story ad looked at me as if I should undersand everything they had told me prior.  Have not been back since. There is nothing further they can do, guess my age plays into that.  I take Levid Tabs two times a day from Gastro Dr. and was givenLONEx tabs for the seivere attacks. I did have a few that felt like labor but for the past month I only go about once a week. My right side burns all he time and I am scared to stop te medication for fear that I will have the pains of two months ago. Cannot take the chance. This thing is so upsetting and I cannot tell what helps and what makes worse. Due to that, it is very unbelievable to those that love me as a mother, wife and friend. Our youngest son is getting married 12/19 to my ? best friends daugter I don't hear from her anymore as I useto. My husband has been very supportive until we both caught the flu, He is frustraed, I understand but try not to tell hom everthing as Worry about him getting sick worring about me. ETC Etc  I do not want  to go to another Dr. evry tim yo dohy seem to take part of youGood uck tyou and again, Thank you for responding to my message. Sorry for the mistakes, did not proof rea and noted keyboard really picks up mistakes. Where or what country do you live in?-Noted weight measure calculation  

Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for being such a source of comfort and encouragement to many on this forum.  I am going to do more research on SOD and search for another doctor in my insurance coverage area.  I continue to keep all of us in my thoughts and prayers.

Suzanne, I just noticed there is another Kris you have been corresponding with, sorry about the confussion. Maybe it would help if you could put Kris and/or Kris F. Hope you are doing better as well as all the people that have come into this web sight.
All of you remember it is your body and no matter if some Dr. says it is stress, or makes you feel like a hypochondriac you know your body.  I have been going through the same symptoms all of you have and It finally has been known I have Hemangioma Tumor on my Liver.  It is large now and another one is appearing on the left lobe.  Do not give up. No one is perfect.  A good Dr. will be concerned and try to the most of his ability to find out what is wrong.
Cher-- What kind of tumor does your mom have?  My e-mail is ***@**** Anyone else who has questions about this, or any information for me please e-mail me. Thanks Sandy
I would like to know more about this superior mesenteric artery syndrome.  What is it?  What causes it?  How is it treated?  I have had problems with the right side under my ribs.  I had a hernia fixed where the gall bladder incision was, but I still have the discomfort.  Lately I have been having it on the left side too.  I am wondering if it is anything like you describe.  How did they determine what it was?  Any help you can give will be appreciated. Betty
Hi wanted you all to know I have been having the same paine under my right ribs cage into my back. It feel right now like something is there. I have had 4 operations in the past 7 years. Parcial Histeramie. rep.apendix. hernia and gallblader (gallbladder) removed.
I never drank or smoked.I have had my blood tested 4 times and it come up adnormal. I have a appointment with a gastrolis Dec.3. Hope he has a answer. I have been out of work since April with legs.( to do with a blood condition ). I don't sleep good at night. Feel worn out all the time. I don't talk to friends because I feel thay don't want to hear it any more and that it in my head. I have had all the test you can think of. If you have an answer for me please let me know. you can e-mail me at ***@**** Thanks Elinor
P.S. Don't mined my spelling I'am not good with it.
Dear Suzanne,   I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain that you have to wear the patch.  I hope your doctors will be able to help you with surgery.  I actually haven't felt that bad for the last few days.  I do have terrible heartburn at times; I can't explain it because I've been taking Prevacid for 3 weeks now and from what I understand that should take care of the heartburn. The pain in my upper right quadrant isn't so severe.  By the way, I never got the lanacane shot; my doctor's office cancelled my appointment because he had an emergency surgery.  I might wait and bide my time.  I've spoken to a lady who had her gallbladder out and still had pain for 2 and a half monthes. Maybe I'm a slow healer ???  Nevertheless, I'm going to research Hemangioma, as you mentioned.  Take care and let me know how you're doing.  Jane
Hi to all!

I am so glad I found this site and after reading all your comments I now don't feel like I am going crazy.  I too have URQ pain going on 8 years.  I finally had a CCK test done and my doc said it was normal.  He said it was probably stress   HA!!
The pain I feel is very real and seems to get worse when I am very tired or feeling under the weather. It is a dull ache in a particular spot just below my rib cage exactly where my gallbladder is.  Sometimes it is very intense and sometimes just a dull nagging pain.  Sometimes it goes away for days but it always returns.  I don't know where to turn for answers. Please lend me your thoughts.  I often think my liver will fail and have a beautiful 2 year old daughter I want to see grow up.  I wish there was someone out there that could figure this out so I could get on with a "normal" life.  I am 37 years old and only feel it will get worse as I age.  Other than this I have been in perfect health my entire life.  I am a social drinker but don't think this is exasurbating my condition as I see no difference if I do not drink anything.  There must be some type of medication available to ease the pain.  I did have Mononucleosis last July that affected my liver function and enzymes.  I also became jaundiced.  My doctor said that is not common but is possible with mono.  All my liver tests were back to normal after a few months.  If anyone has any feedback I would welcome it with open arms.  Oh yeah, the area where I feel the pain sometimes feels very tight like something is pulling on something inside.  No doubt something is up but what could it be and why can't anyone figure it out?  Thanks for listening !!!
JANE, KRIS, PAT AND KRIS

HI

The last two weeks have been, interesting to say the least. last night I went out socially for the first time in 6 months,actually felt like it. I had a severe case of gastrointestinitis (vomiting& runny stools) for 5 days, no amount of maxalon (a drug used here to combat severe nausea) helped at all. Started to feel better finally on saturday last. I have had the Fentonyl patch off for 2weeks now, and have been coping with the Tramal.
I have now got to survive the next week without any of pain killers as I go for the Memnometry on the 15th Dec and my specialist in Sydney has advised that they will cloud the readings, gee I can tell you I'm looking forward to the next week. My husband and I have named the problem ODDI, he asks each day how Oddi is, I suppose it gives us some thing to laugh about.
I have been able to compleate a full week at work, so things are looking up.
I'll post further after the 15th
Take care

Suzanne,  What ever happened ???  How did it go on the 15th ??  I've been thinking of you.  Please post and update me.  I hope things are better.   Jane
Oh My Gosh!!  Finally I find somewhere where almost EVERYONE understands what's wrong with me.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's the same old story...URQ pain under my rib in the same spot.  It comes and goes and nothing seems to trigger it.  Sometimes it's very dull and other times it feels more like someone is pulling on me from the inside.  I've had the upper GI, ultrasounds, endoscopy, blood tests, and they've found nothing.  "It's probably IBS or I should take antidepressants."  Please keep writing and telling your stories, it's not all in your head!  Any advice for me??  Merry Christmas to all........
I forgot to tell you...I'm 27 years old, not overweight (practically underweight), it's been going on for over a year now, I still have my gallbladder, and have nausia and vomit a lot-especially if I try to go out and have a few drinks.  I was recently hospitalized overnight for vomiting but they still don't know what's causing it.  (See above message...this is a continuation of my first message.)
Count me in as another one who has URQ pain.  Have had it for 3 years.  Hida scan showed gallbladder is not functioning.  Doc sent me to surgeon to have it removed.  Surgeon says NO.  He says I have IBS.  I have constant pain around the last rib, right side, generates around to my back.  Have had problems with my arm, shoulder.  MRI of shoulder shows nothing.  Nerve conduction test shows nothing.  I am now beginning to believe my arm/shoulder pain is gallbladder related.  After reading all these posings, I am going to try the surgeon one last time.  I am a 38 year old mother of 3 boys and I do not have time to be in all this pain and worrying if I have something really bad wrong.  Has anyone else expereienced shoulder/arm pain with their URQ pain or gallbladder??
HI GUYS:
We all seem to be in the same boat or at least the same bay.
Rhonda yes I do have upper shoulder pain along w/ the URQ pain.
The surgeon does not want to operate? You sound like you are
also on a roller-coaster!!! Emily its not in your head, I have
heard that too, anti- depressants are going to relieve our pain?
Well than I'll buy stocks for it!! HAHA. Rhonda does the Hida-
scan hurt? How long does it take? Do any of you find that cafeine
aggravates your syptoms (symptoms)? What about exercise? My e-mail address
is   ***@****    Please write me, anyone on this
list, maybe we can help each other.   Thanx...Georgie
Rhonda,  I have spent nearly the last year with upper right quadrant pain; it changes at times.  Sometimes it's a really sharp pain, sometimes it feels more like something is stuck under my rib and sometimes it's a burning.  It radiates up to my right breast and around to my back.  Have had awful heartburn also.  Finally a surgeon did a hide-a-scan.  I had a refraction rate of 9.  What was yours ??  Supposedly under a 35 means it's not working correctly.  Anyway, had my gallbladder out.  Many of my symptoms cleared up within 6 weeks.  I finally had the energy to get out of bed to get my girls off to school.....ages 10 & 13.  I know what you mean about not having the time to be sick !!
I still however have the URQ pain that radiates.  I don't know what to tell you.  Certainly having my gallbladder out cleared up alot of my problems, however I still have that pain.  A GI thinks its imflamed cartiledge.  Could be...I had no stones, but the gallbladder was imflamed and full of scar tissue.  I'm going in to my surgeon soon for a shot of Lanacane.  It's like a novacane to numb the area.  Supposedly if the pain goes away, then we can be certain it's imflammation. I'm curious as to why the doctor said you have IBS.  I've sometimes wondered that myself. Are you gassy at all?  P.S.  George, sorry to say that my hide-a-scan hurt ALOT. But it's bearable.   Good health to all of you. Jane
Jane:  Thanks for the reply.  I have the same pain as you, but I don't have the heartburn.  The right breast will also hurt along with the shoulder and arm.  The fraction rate on my report shows a 1%.  The diagnosis for IBS was because I have anywhere from  2 to 7 BM's each morning. Gassy too.  Surgeon put me on Librax and said it helps to relax the stomach muscles and told me to start drinking metamucil.  It did help but I have not taken anything in over a year.  I just don't want to have to take drugs for it all the time.  It's just frustrating when one doctor says take it out and the surgeon says no.  He says because of the IBS, he's afraid I will get sicker.  The gastro says the BM's  and gas are a part of the gallbladder problem.  The surgeon says it is not.  So what the heck do you do.  I have gone back to drinking Citrucel this week and it seems to have helped the gas and BM.  I go to the orthopedic next week for the recheck of the arm/shoulder pain and I am going to bring all this gallbladder stuff to his attention.  I never dreamed all the pain in my arm could be from the gallbladder.  Thanks to all.
Dear Jane and other URQ sufferers,

After I had my gall bladder out to relieve pain, I too still was in pain.  It still felt like my gall bladder was still there.  We went the route of inflammed cartilige also but after several years and many anti-inflammatories I have just about given up.  IF you find out anything about this pain, please post it.  Thanks.
Man I can't beleive all the people with the same symptoms!!  For about the past six months I have been having pain under and below my right rib cage.  When I work out or cough alot from a cold the pain get worse.  I drink socially and sometime to much I think, because after I drink the pain is back like a bad night mare.  I feel like I have a ball under my ribs.  When I go to sleep at night my husband can't put his arm around me the pressure gets to unbearable.  Weeks go by and I don't have the pain, but when it comes its hurts bad.  Aching dull sometimes sharp.  Off and on like a heart beat.  What is this? I can't stand it.  I am 35 white and the mother of two great kids.  I get scared sometimes that I might have a liver problem??  I have alos suffered from heartburn and indigetstion all my life.  I tested positive for H-pilori when I was 14. The doc has treated me 3 different times with 3 different approaches and nothing has worked.  The last time was pepto and biaixan, the antibiotic hurt me worse than my stomach did so I never finished the treatment.  But this pain under my rib is driving me crazy.  Any comments??
Stephanie
Went back to the doc today.  It is highly possible that my shoulder/arm pain is from the gallbladder.  Ive been drinking Citrucel  once or twice a day and I have not had any pain in the URQ or shouler/arm area,  since I started drinking it over a week ago.  The doc says when I have pain to call his office and come in to see him when I have the pain.  The Citrucel is really making a difference in the way my right side feels.  May be I have cured myself, since none of the doctor's cant.!!!  Good luck to all.
I have had some of the same symptoms for over a year and a half now.  Going for an endoscopy Tues 1/18/00.  Diagnosed with H.Pylori in 1996.  Recently diagnosed with GERD and a slight hiatal hernia.  Pain in chest, midback and right shoulder still persists.  Chronic heartburn.  Taking Propulsid, Zantac,and Carafate.  Talked to others in forum and they seem to think that I have symptoms of Barrett's Esophagus.  Will find out Tuesday.  Has anyone tried an herbal digestive enzyme called Bromelain?  I stopped taking all medications above and started taking 2 Bromelain with every meal and most of my pain has disappeared.  Hope this might help some of you.  Good luck with your findings.  All the other doctors tell me that it is stress and try to put me on anti-depressants!  the only reason that I am depressed is because of the way these doctors keep treating me as if all of this is in my head!  Do they think that we enjoy going to all of these appts and getting poked at all the time and answering the same questions over and over again?!
Karen
I am a 32 year old woman who, up to this past year, has been healthy my whole life.  I have stuggled constantly with my weight, but always felt good with energy to spare.  I had a baby in March of 1999 with a rather uneventful pregnancy until 32 weeks, was then diagnosed with pre-eclampsia which developed into HELLP Syndrome by 34 weeks.  The baby was immediately delivered.  I was supposed to "bounce back" after the baby was delivered and for the most part I did until June 99 when I began having upper quadrant pain and nausea.  After many tests, they found gall stones.  July 99 I had my gall bladder removed with promises that I would "be back to my old self."  What a joke!  My URQ pain is worse now and the pain involves my right shoulder and arm.  I have had an upper GI, CT scans, sonogram, ERCP, and a liver biopsy (because my LFT's have been elevated - AST, ALT, and GGT)  Thankfully, all tests have come back normal except the liver biopsy says" non-specific liver inflammation."
My Primary Physician tells me not to worry, it's stress, it's my imagination, see a pshycologist.  I want to slap him!!  I have finally seen a GI specialist out of my area.  He wants to do a biliary scintography to help determine whether I have SOD.  If so, He will do an ERCP and cut my sphincter of Oddi.  I would like to hear from anyone who might have any thoughts  on my case.  I wish all of you health and answers to your problems.  I know how frustrating it is to see doctor after docter only to find no answers!
Kathy
This is so unusual to hear many of the systems that I am going through.  My pain is on the right side just below the rib cage. The pain is sharp at times and if I in one position to long I can feel it worse.  Sitting is the worse.  I like to lean back in the chair and am always pressing on my libs.  You can't believe how everyone tells me to stop.  My pain stometimes goes to my back should blade.  But the kicker is that across the top of my abdomen is feels like needles sticking in me.  It remines me when my foot goes to sleep and is numb.  I had my gallblader (gallbladder) out since 1989.  Tests ran show everything is okay.  I am told I may have a hernia but the test showed none. I am 50 years old and in pretty good shape and have had this pain for several months.  Will be having a CATS scan according to my doctor and wife.  All my pains go away if I keep pressure on the top portion of my abdomen. Any other males have similar symptoms and found good results from something?
Hi all and big HI to JANE

As they say in the Classics "I'm back"

first of all sorry it took so long for me to post my updated but I have just got the test results back on Tuesday 25/1/00.

Well the news is as suspected I have SOD. The next option is now the surgery and to this end i am off the see my Surgeon on the 8/2/00 to oganise that.
Christmas was ok not a lot of pain and i was abe to cope with the drugs.
The interesting thing was that during this whole time I did not show the classic signes of SOD in regard to the liver function test.
please everyone do not be afraid of your gp's or speciaists, you know what your problem is. I have to say that my specialist is a lot more sympathetic to me now.

Jane

How are you? has the pain Settled any ??

take care  

Suzanne

Hello Everybody

I've been having urq for two years now and have had all the tests. I've seen a GI and a Kidney doc. Everything comes back normal. I've been on anti inflammatory meds, pain meds of all sorts. Nothing has seem to help. I see the doc every few weeks I'm am at the point of exhaustion due to the pain.  I feel like noone seems to understand and that the docs don't believe me. I'd appreiciate any info you guys can give.
Very interesting comments and tests.  I had my gall bladder removed three years ago, due to low test factors (13% function) because of the pain that is being described.  Three years later, the same pain, the same places, only more intense.  All tests are negative and of course, the doctors don't know what to do or say. It would be very interesting to get to the bottom of the cause, but I am not sure that such is going to happen.  I have tried all sorts of treatments, from physical therapy, to accupuncture, and none work.  Medications have the side effects (like hydrocodone) and while they temporarily treat the pain, they do not resolve the problem.  I am anxiously awaiting someone getting a "good" doctor and finding the cause and cure!!!!  Bruce Pehrson, Farmington, Utah.  ***@****
I have had RQ pain for a couple of years now, and as I read all your posts, it seems possible that I may never get an answer to its cause.  The pain is not a strong or sharp pain but more of a bothersom discomfort feeling.  Sort of like there is too much 'stuff' squeezed into the area or a pain feeling similar to when you push on a bruise (if that makes sense).  I do notice that sometimes a fatty meal of an few alcholic drinks will make it worse (I am not a drinker though-- mabey twice a month).  It will hurt the most for 3 or 4 days after some drinks and then be less noticeable (but still there)after a few days.  I have mentioned this all to my MD on numerous occasions. Liver tests and ultra sounds have been normal, so he suspects IBS.  I feel that it may be a fatty liver or a gall bladder inflammation, but he always says no. I also have some gastic problems and intestinal problems.
I guess the bottom line is that I understand what all you are going through and also I wish like you all do, that I could get a definitive answer.  Please feel free to e-mail me at ***@**** if you have any thoughts or would like to discuss anything like this.
Take care & good luck,,,,,Christopher
i wount advice about the management of acute cholecystitis
the position of golden time of surgery from the onest of syptoms (symptoms)
It is so so sad to learn of everyone who has suffered so greatly and yet still no clearly defined answer as to why we are afflicted with this medical mystery/misery. Let alone a cure!

Treating specialists and their studious colleagues mean well and Modern Medical Technology has saved many I'm sure. Still we appear to be proven a medical nightmare to all who dare treat us.

I have suffer twenty years of intermitent pain in the upper right quaderant of the abdomin (abdomen) not to mention the referals, diaognosis, second opinions, medications, x-rays, therapists, pyschologists and psychiatrists etc.... and everyone else who can make money out this pot of gold.

Here is my gift to you all DON'T GIVE UP!!! Quality of life may well be down but your are alive. And thank you for taking the time to share your personal experinces so we can all learn and find a cure or aleast minimise the pain swiftly together. I will post more interesting things to consider soon.
It's so strange to hear of so many with pain in their sides around the rib area. I too have experienced this pain for about a year and a half. I've had many tests and of course all show normal. I've imagined everthing from liver cancer and cancer of the pancreas to just plain gallbladder disease. It's very frightening to have this pain and have no answers. I guess it is somewhat comforting to know that others have experienced the same. You begin to wonder after a while if it's all in your head. The pain is very real though. Your family begins to think you are just a constant complainer. I too just want answers like the rest of you. I have not had the test where they shoot dye into you and look at your gallbladder that way. I'm considering trying a different Dr. although i have been very happy with my current one in the past. I guess because nothing has shown up so far he may be a puzzled as i. Well i just wanted to post my comments and to say good luck to you all.
Is this BB still active?
I'am at my wits end, let me start from the beginning. I'am a 38 year old female with pain under my right rib cage. I had my uterus and 1 ovary removed in 1994 from cysts they saved the other ovary by taking the cysts off. Now I was left with 1 ovary, but I did not have to take hormons. April 1999 I had to have the other ovary removed the cyst had grown so big it grew into my intestine, they took about 4 inches off.  I was ok for a couple of months, now I have bad pain under my rib on the right side. I did not have this before the surgery, only the pain in the lower part of my stomach from the cyst which left after the surgery.  

I went back to the doctor & he sent me back to the doctor who did the colin surgery. You know, I didnot even know the intestine was part of the colin.  When I saw the nurse she looked up my file and said, oh yes, you are the one who had the colin surgery, I WAS SHOCKED! All I could think about was cancer of the colin and prayed to god that was not it. They did tests after tests and all came back negative, but I am still in pain, like something is pinching me in the side constantly. I am so scared, who will take care of my family, my grandchild.

If there is something wrong, I would like to catch it before it gets out of hand, but everyone is telling me my test are normal, that could not be with all this pain. But, If it is some kind of cancer, god I would like to catch it before it kills me.
I can't wear clothes on my stomach like pants, stocking,jeans. I get chest pains where they stop my breath, it feels like charlie horses in my side sometimes. One night it had me crawling on the floor like a snake the pain was so bad. Can someone please help me, give me some guidence.

Thanks for listening,

Connie.
I have similar pain but on my left side under the ribs -- so far for just over 3 months now.  Have had multiple tests but all come back normal, too.  Stress and worry definitely exacerbate things.My suggestions is to keep asking your doctor for more tests.  I'm beginning to think this kind of thing might be a form of IBS. Clothing ittitated my abdomen, too, so I know what that is like. Not on ly did it hurt inside but my skin became ultra sensitive. Also, for those of you who've had surgery in the past, I've heard adhesions/scar tissue can cause this kind of pain.
Hi to everyone and HI SUZANNE !!!!

Am I understanding right that you found out for sure it's ODDI in January and have to wait until August to fix it ???  That seems like a long time to wait.  You must be so relieved, though, to finally be diagnosed.  All the best to you; hope everything goes well.
I have found by trial and error that if I drink psyllium fiber once a day (yuk!), my pain subsides a bit and my stomach isn't as bloated.  I did have an MRCP (mri) done a few weeks ago to look at my ducts, which of course showed everything normal.  My new gastro, however, is sympathetic to my complaints and has referred me to a super-specialist gastro in Boston...about an hour away, so I'm excited about that.  Did you have an MRCP done to diagnose your oddi problem ?  My symptoms now are, of course the weird feeling in my URQ, constipation, bloating, some heartburn and a sore throat !  Luckily I am able to get to work and function very well most of the time.  I am a bit concerned about colon cancer, though, as I've been doing too much reading on the web !!!!  I'm a bit anxious about what's wrong, which may explain my inability at times to catch my breath;  I gasp at times and feel like I can't get a full breath.  I've been told it's anxiety.  That doesn't suprise me at all !  Had a stress test done to rule out heart problems !
Anyway, it was so nice to read your posting.  Glad to hear that you've finally discovered what's wrong.  I REALLY hope things go well for you.  Write back; I'll check in a few days.

PAT:  Has your URQ pain ever gone away ?  Do you have the same symptoms as me ?
after reading all that i figured i might as well post too.

29-year-old healthy, active female
ruq pain - almost 7 months now
constant ache - sometimes shooting - sometimes extreme shooting from back to front.
epsiodes of extreme pain - pain on the step, pain in abdomen when voiding.  only way to relieve is to be completely still.
have been hospitalized.
weight loss - 20 lbs in one month - 5 back now.
loss of appetite
seizure/suspected tia (mini stroke)
middle finger left hand turns waxy white
noticed middle toe left foot did it last night.
hyperhidrosis - controlled with drysol.
night sweats
sleep apnea - wake up gasping for air in the night.  heart racing.
hiccups daily
yes - i have the shoulder pain too.  thought it must be from hockey, goalie (although i had taken some time off).
pain right hip - feels like a bruise but gets worse instead of better.  had lasted a month now.  at times i can't lie on that side.  gp says bursitis.
hives on trunk of my body.
toothache that moved from upper molar to lower to opposite side of face and back to start, all within 45 minutes then gone.
my breasts are growing and my hair is curling.  how's that for neat?
the past few days i have had a shooting pain on the left side of my head.  not a headache.  just sharp shooting pain, then  nothing.
i've had all the same tests that are mentioned in previous postings, although no mri, hida scan or ercp (don't know that one).
would be interested in any input.
Hi everyone,

I have been searching the internet looking for an answer to my problem.  Noone else seems to be able to tell me what the problem is, and I'm tired of trying to diagnose myself. I may not be a doctor, but I do know my own body and I'm too young to be going through so much pain and feeling like an old woman.  I'm having right flank pain, daily.  Some days are worse than others, but there isn't one day that goes by that I don't have to deal with the pain. I'm 34 and have had numerous surgeries.  About 5 yrs. ago I had a hysterectomy/appendectomy with 1 ovary removed due to cervical cancer and endometriosis.  Since that time, I've had 5 surgeries to remove cysts attached to my back on either side of the spinal cord, on the remaining ovary, and a vulvar tumor.  The pain that I'm experiencing is on my right side, sort of "wrapped around" to the back.  The ovary I have left is on the right.  I keep associating the pain with that ovary.  However, my GYN says that everything is normal concerning the ovary.  Okay, so I go to my regular MD....after ruling out a kidney infection or gull bladder, we're now onto the bowels.  Today I have an appt. with a bowel specialist.  Could it be Colitis, Diverticulitis, or something that I can't come up with the lingo for since I'm not a doctor.  I sound angry, I guess I am.  I've been dealing with this for almost 4 1/2 yrs. now and it just progressively gets worse.  The first time I noticed this pain was 2 mos. after the hysterectomy.  I can't help thinking it has something to do with that surgery.  I guess it could be scar tissue or lesions.  I just don't know, but I've got to do something to get me through this pain until I have an answer and can have it taken care of.  If anyone has any suggestions, please contact me at ***@****.  Sorry to use this as a "sounding board", but it feels good to vent a little.
I'm diabetic and everything wrwong with me is always blamed on that. All I know is I still have right side pain thatt radiates to my back. I've had my gallbladder removed in 1992. This pain has been around only a few weeks but is already wearing me down. I had a blood test and a sonogram which were normal. old to take tylonol and call for more test schedules if pain continues. I printed off all notes to read later I have read some and I understand how ya'll feel.  Have a blessed Easter weekend and I'll check back with ya'll later.
I have been experiencing the same pain,RUQ radiating around my back to my shoulder blades,especially on the R. My appetite is poor and I feel full after eating even a small meal. Im constantly nauseous and have even had some emesis of bile. I went to my PMD and he sent me for an ultrasound and CT of the abdomen and pelvis. The results showed my gallbladder was normal but that I have fatty liver. My PMD said that this condition required no treatment. I thought a liver biopsy was necessary to be certain of this diagnosis. Im not overweight,Diabetic and very rarely consume alcohol which can cause fatty liver. Needless to say I'm not satisfied with this diagnosis and intend on following up with a GI Dr. I would like to hear from anyone who's familar with this condition, Any feedack would be much appreciated.
When I entered 'abdominal pain right side' I never expected that I would find all of the messages with MY symptoms.  I have been telling my doctor for a year about the 'dull ache, just below my ribs that radiates down to my lower abdomen.' Also, I don't knoww if this is something you all have, but by the end of the day, my abdomen becomes extremely distended.  Even though I am a small person, by 7:00 at night, I look 6 months pregnant. (I am 52, no more pregnancies for me thanks.) After a CAT scan, a barium enema, a sigmoid, an ultrasound, blood and urine tests, I don't know any more now than when I started.  I have asked my doctor to be very certain with the ultrasound, because I am scared to death that it is ovarian cancer.  He assures me that it is not.  It sounds as if most of you who describe the symptoms are convinced it is a bad gall bladder.  What test was it that confirmed the bad gall bladder?  I have Kaiser, a HMO, so getting an appointment can be difficult.  At least I can be specific when I request further testing.  Thanks to all of you.  And I hope we all get better soon.
I have complained with severe pain in my entire upper back area my entire upper rib cage area. the pain is severe and very deep and sometimes radiates into the front of my chest and rib cage area. there are times i feel so short of breath and in such pain i can hardly walk across the room they did an ultrasound on my gallbladder which was negative. they tell me on ultra sound my liver is enlarged and my liver enzymes go from normal to mildly elevated now for ten years i also have huge burping spells which i call logger burps which are very painful. i have also had what i call rotten egg stomachs since i was a child/ the interestin part is the dr.s can"t find a reason for any of this. their only diagnosis is fibromyalgia. i also test positive for anti nuclear antibodies in my blood. i have been called neurotic etc. this hurts very much and sometimes i feel like i don't  want to live anymore because of the level of discomfort in my body and nobody listens or seems to care. something has to be wrong for a person to hurt this bad all the time and even wake up in the night because the pain and discomfort is so bad it wakes you up and you pace the floor all night crying and hoping some one some day will find out what is wrong and fix it. thanks for listening, janet
I have had the same pain, re-occurring every couple of days that lasts for 2-3 days, starts under right side of rib cage and radiates across my chest and across my back.  I become bloated and nothing is comfortable, have been to dr, but tells me that is just a stomach virus, and have been there 3 times w/same symptoms.  My husband doesn't understand the paint i go thru, i have cried so hard from it, and just feel like dying.  Dr. would only give me something for the nausea, when i was begging for pain killers.  It is the worse pain that i felt in my life except for childbirth, but i know it's gonna come back again, cause it re-occurs every couple wks.  I cannot even hold a job because i'll wake up with it, and it feels like i'm having a heart attack when it goes across my chest.  I hope someone can figure out this strange illness, nobody i know has the same thing around where i live, and they all say it's all in my mind...please help...
A related discussion, gall stones was started.
A related discussion, Gallstones was started.