Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain in the right side of abdomen

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Pain in the right side of abdomen

Hi, I am experiencing the following symptoms and was hoping for some guidance:

1) Pain on the right side of my abdomen (near my naval, however, it often radiates above and below this area as well.)  This pain is only aggravated when I am walking.  For example, when I place my right foot down, I can feel a sharp pain in this area.  I don't feel any abdominal pain while sitting or lying down.

2) Slight constipation

3) Low Back Pain (intermittent and generally in the low back and buttocks, sometimes radiating down the right leg)

I have had a pelvic ultrasound, a blood test and a general checkup, which did not suggest anything serious was wrong.  My doctor attributed this problem to stress.  In the past, I have had slight ovulation pain and bleeding, which my doctor diagnosed as simple ovulatory pain.

My mother has recently been diagnosed with Colon Cancer and my aunt had breast cancer.

Do you have any recommendation for what steps to take to further investigate this problem?
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

You note right sided pain, constipation, and low back pain.  Pelvic ultrasound was non-revealing.  

There are many causes for right sided pain including biliary disease (gallstones), liver disease, appendix disease, colon cancer, and inflammatory bowel disease to name a few.

Given your family history of colon cancer, this has to be absolutely ruled out before considering other causes.  

The next step would be a colonoscopy to evaluate for colorectal masses.  Other tests to consider would be an abdominal CT scan and/or abdominal ultrasound which can evaluate the biliary system, liver, appendix or pancreas.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Hi Concerned with Symptoms,

I'm sorry that your mother was diagnosed recently with colon cancer.  I'm sure that this causes alot of stress and concern, which can affect your body, possibly producing lots of symptoms.  If pains are shooting down the back of your leg, I suggest being evaluated for sciatica especially since the pains occur when you walk.  Do investigate having your colon checked out though, but in my opinion, it would be highly unlikely that you have colon cancer the same time as your mom.  I mean, what are the odds of that being so?  I'd have a colonoscopy for piece of mind, but don't lose sleep over it.  If anything is found, it is probably in a very treatable early stage.  But hang tough and don't worry!  It will be OK!

Sincerely,
Concerned Gall Bladder
Hello...
I'm currently experiencing pain on my right side.. the pain lingers... feels more like a cramp.. hurts alot and just a few days ago I thought I was gonna end up at the hospital...(hurt that bad)...I'm wondering if it might be my liver?... would like to mention other things included with this pain.. but I see that this info. goes public..(kinda embarrasing)
A related discussion, pain in right side was started.
A related discussion, Extreme pain on right side was started.
A related discussion, pain was started.
A related discussion, confused about the outcome of my colonoscopy was started.