Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain in upper right abdomen

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Pain in upper right abdomen

I have a recurrent 'aching' pain in my upper right abdomen, just under the rib cage about 2cm from the center of the rib cage.  I also sometimes have sharper pains in my mid to lower right abdomen.  The pains and aches come and go but can last for several days.

I had an ultra sound scan of the area as my doctor suspected gallstones but nothing was found.  I also had a liver function test which showed a slightly elevated gamma GT.

I do drink alcohol but not to excess.

What could be causing the pain?
The liver and gallbladder would be a reasonable start.  The ultrasound would rule out many of the major causes.  You can also consider looking at various upper GI disorders - such as an ulcer or inflammation of the upper digestive tract - with an upper endoscopy or upper GI series.  

More specialized testing can include a HIDA scan with CCK stimulation to evaluate the gallbladder ejection fraction.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Hi, I'm a 37 year old female & had been having upper abdominal pain for aprox a year now, recently I had been feeling really bloated in the upper right side (right under rib cage)went to the Dr's & during ultrasound they found 2 masses in my liver.were also able to "feel" my liver from the outside??
After Nuclear scan,endoscopy,CT & MRI they are still "thinking" they are hemangiomas measuring 4.5 x 6.5 & 3.3 x 2.5 in the right lobe of the liver. I am so frustrated because after all these tests they are still just unsure, They say they look like hemangiomas but are not acting like hemangiomas... They Dr's won't tell me its not cancer as of yet, but from what I have read Biopsy is VERY dangerous, what other options are out there to rule out cancer?
I am a wife & mother of 2, I feel like I need some answers.
any information woudl be helpful.
Thank you
I have very similar symptoms. I first notice symptoms during a long distace car drive (Oct. 2005). It started with back pain directly behind the gallbladder, which felt like muscle strain. Within two weeks, I had a sunburn sensation below my right ribcage that has never ended. The sensation is always there with varying intensity. Two weeks after the sunburn sensation began (about 1 month after the original back pain), a physical, knotting pain in the gallbladder area of my abdomen. It felt as if I had a bloated organ, so I went to an ER. There, they did a complete blood count, urine test, multiple x-rays, and a CT scan only to say that nothing was wrong, other than a small amount of white blood cells in my urine (ie, kidney or bladder infection). Since then, the pain has intensified (knotting internal pain, sunburn sensation, and back pain) and I have went to a second ER. This time at the University of Tennessee Medical Center. They too, took a blood and urine sample and confirmed that all counts were within normal limits. This doctor did however palpate the abdomen and pressed on the exact spot that hurts internally, which caused elevated pain. He identified this spot as the area where the gallbladder and liver is located and said that I may have a growth/tumor on the gallbladder or possibly, gallstones. He suggested I go to a family practioner for ultrasound, since there was no emergency to be addressed at the ER.

I have not noticed an increase or decrease of intensity before or after eating. Also, when I sleep at night, it is more comfortable to sleep on the affected side.

Since Jan. 12, 2006, I have seen my family physician who sent me to a gastrointestinal doc for gallbladder testing and probably removal.  After a hidascan, colonoscopy, an endoscope, and many blood test, there are still no answers- everything was normal.  My GI specialist referred me back to the family doc for musculo-skeletal conditions.  Not sure what other test should be done, will take any recommendations and let you know what we find out!
well after seeing 2 different surgeons we have decided to go in a do a hepatic lobectomy & remove both masses from the liver, they will also be removing my gallbaldder since its connected to the right lobe (the one ther are removing) I am scared but really sick of the pain & discomfort. hopefully all goes well, it's a pretty major surgery & long recovery time.
any info or advice available would be wonderful.