Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain lower chest, burning sensation

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Pain lower chest, burning sensation

For about three weeks I have had a burning sensation in my chest under the breast bone and a burning pain to touch and move just left of the bottom of my rib cage where it meets the stomach. I thought it was heartburn. I have had mild nausea and mild diarrhea. I have not had a shortness of breath or a hard time breathing. I have tried taking Prevacid but have had some side effects.  Tums do not seem to have any effect. Any thoughts?  Could it be a hiatial hernia or something else?
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

It is possible that you are describing dyspepsia (upper GI discomfort).  Causes include ulcers, inflammation of the stomach or esophagus, or GERD.  To evaluate this I would first suggest an upper GI series or upper endoscopy.  I would also be tested for H Pylori, which is associated with inflammation and ulcers.

If negative, nerve disorders (which can be manifested as burining pain to light touch) can be considered.  If the GI workup is non-revealing, a referral to a neurologist can be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
skin burning to the touch is certainly not typical of stomach or esophagel acid problems; it might be a nerve problem. Shingles is a possibility; sometimes the pain is there for a while before the rash develops.
A related discussion, burning sensation was started.