Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain on lower right side of abdomen

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Pain on lower right side of abdomen

I have had an on and off sharp pain in my lower right side for 12 years (since I was 18)- I have colitis which flares up occassionally. I was recently on Asacol to reduce bleeding, etc. this helped w/ the bleeding but the pain was ever present more and more. Did a Hida scan and had to have my gallbladder out. Still have the right sided pain but not as constant. The pain gets worse with exercise or if I sleep on my side. Had my female organs checked and all ok. I take an anti-spasmadic when the pain is extreme but it only helps temporarily. Whenever I eat anything (even drink water) I get bloating, have a feeling of bubbles and gas and feel full. When I go to the bathroom it takes a while (legs falling asleep) and even after I still feel like I have to go. I end up going to work feeling uncomfortable. Now am on Zelnorm for IBS which has helped a little with the constipation but I still have the scary right sided pain (which gets worse with stress, exercise, walking, eating)and the bubbly stomach problems, gas, etc. I have tried fiber, natural enzymes, anti-acids, anti-gas meds, drinking lots of h2o but nothing works. I had a small bowel study and it was negative too. Recent colonoscopy reveals microscopic colitis. I notice if I sneeze it hurts the right side- but doc said he didn't feel any hernia...What other tests do you recommend? Would an MRI show anything? What about food allergy's? Does colitis cause these symptoms? Or could my stomach be missing an enzyme so that food is going into the intestines undigested, causing these problems? BM studies have come back negative for H-pylory or any bacterias. not sure what else to do but I miss exercising and feeling like a normal person. I was recently married and want to start a family- I am afraid to get pregnant until I fix my stomach woes- I am afraid getting pregnant might make it worse.
Please help!
To answer your questions.

1) I'm not sure the MRI would be the best test.  An endoscopy should be considered first - specifically a colonoscopy.  I would also consider an upper GI series with small bowel follow-through which can evaluate Crohn's disease.   An MRI will give further details for masses, which are less likely to be causing your symptoms.  A CT scan would be a more reasonable first imaging test.

2) Food allergies can possibily cause these symptoms, although I would consider inflammatory bowel disease first.

3) Colitis can certainly cause these symptoms.  You have mentioned Asacol as being used.  You may want to consider if steroids or immunomodulating therapy (i.e. Azathioprine) can be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
What I have done is the natural thing, medications didn't work for me.  Do research on the internet on ACIDOPHILUS PROBOTIC, its natural and great for the digestive tract.  Talk to your GP about this and nutrient store.  I've been taking it for 2 weeks now and feel like new.

Good luck to you.

Have they ruled out chronic appendicitis?
hello
thanks for the advice- I'm already on some natural enzymes which have acodoph. in the pills-
it seemed to help for a few days then I was right back to the pain-but I am still on them (now for 4 weeks)to see if they'll kick in..
Same thing with Noni juice- tried it- seemed great for about a week- then I was back to the drawing board.
I just had my blood drawn for a wheat allegy test- this might be part of my problem....I am thinking of going to an internal medicine doc next...or maybe an allegy specialist..
Appendix was checked several times (ulra sound, CAT, blood etc) all negative. Same with ovarian cysts. The pain mimics appendicits quite well!
Also try drinking alot of water, that is one of the most important keys, I drink at least 4 24oz bottles of water a day.  Also, the acidophilus probotic, is Much more effective and useful than the pills, you might want to look into that.  And if so try it without the liquid without the lactose, Lactose could be part of the problem, Lactose is a sugar that is in more foods that just milk like some people think.  It is very hard to digest.  But please be drinking plenty of water.

Good luck
thanks again for the advice-
I wil look into the acidophilus probotic -
I wonder if birth control pills could also cause any havoc? I've been on them for 12 years ..has anyone heard of birth control pills causing gastro problems?
Feels like a knife in my side sometimes!! I go back to gastro doc this Monday to find out test results for allergy- they only tested me for wheat- I will ask to be tested me for lactose intolerance- i'm sure this could be part of the issue...
thanks- Vegas Vic
Wheat allergy came back negative- now doc gave me a script for Entocort- has anyone been on this for similiar symptoms? If so, did it help or cause more problems?
I ended up in the ER the other night w/ severe chest pains that radiated into my back- it felt like a heart attack it was so bad- came in waves and lasted about 2 hours.
Could a Duodenal ulcer cause lower, right sided pain as well as pain radiating from chest? Er doc suspects peptic ulcer.
Good lord I'm a mess and feel like I'm 80 not 30!
Any  info is appreciated-
thx
I have the same exact symptoms!  I have had this pain for years and am so sick of it.  I went to the gyno who ruled out that end.  I am scheduled to see a gastro on March 1st.  Of course my first thought is that perhaps it is an obstruction of some sort, or perhaps a chronic appendix.  I don't know.  Maybe IBS?  My bowel movements have also been abnormal where sometimes I am constipated and sometimes have diarrhea.  If anybody knows where to lead me in this search I would appreciate it.

When I read the complaints experienced by VEGASVIC, they mirrored my symptoms!   I'm searching for the cause of my "mystery" pain.

I'm very fit.  I workout 3 times a week, no less than 2 hours of high impact aerobics, body strengthening and ab work.  I don't have pain then, but let me have a bite to eat and brace yourself!  Sharp pain in the lower right abdomen, gas, bloating, throbbing ... Sometimes the pain subsides in an hour or so.  I keep a heating pad at my bedside.  That seems to help when the pain persists through the night.

I've changed my eating habits for relief -- more soy, veggies and no white starches, no red meats, no fried foods.  As a result, the constipation during these episodes has changed to continual elimination and less pain but still pain.

My last episode was yesterday.  After a seafood dinner with veggies in garlic sauce, I had a hot cup of hazelnut macchiato topped with whipped creme and carmel sauce.  Yum! ... then the pain hit.  We hadn't even made it to the car!  Could it be sugar?  I'm trying to go no artifical sugar today and see what happens.

My colonoscopy (4 months ago) found nothing.  I thought the HIDA Scan would uncover this mystery.  VEGASVIC hang in there!  We are going to get an ANSWER ...
I have the same pains for a while now! Sever pain in my right side. it radiates from right under my breast to my hip bone! I have had this pain for years now! 1 1/2 ago they did a Heida scan and removed my gallbladder. pain went away for a while and then it came back. I have noticed that if i eat anything my pain gets really bad. Pain pills don't take the pain away.

any information on this would be really appreciated
A related discussion, Its been a full month with this pain was started.
A related discussion, What are symptoms of liver disease was started.
A related discussion, IBS and Acid Reflux was started.
A related discussion, Lower Right Sided Pain was started.
A related discussion, Is this Gi related or somthing else? was started.