Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pain relief med that won't cause spasm of the sphincter of oddi

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Female 48. Have had severe migraines off and on for years. Prescribed Emtec (Tylenol #3 without caffeine) for pain relief. (Extremely sensitive to caffeine). I was also given Percocet for the rare occasions when the Emtec was did not provide adequate relief. (I have Fibromyalgia, and get occipital migraines that the Emtec doesn't touch).

Recently I experienced an episode of 'spasm of the sphincter of oddi', which was caused by a reaction to codeine. It was the most horrible pain I've experienced IN MY LIFE.

Why would I suddenly react to codeine after all these years? (The time I reacted, I had taken the T3's on an empty stomach. Would it have helped to eat first? (It's almost impossible to eat with a migraine).

Will the percocets cause the same sphincter of oddis reactions? Is the analgesic in Percocets also codeine?.

What other medications are available for relief of severe pain that will NOT cause problems 'oddi' problems? I have a drs appt next week, and it would really help me to be prepared for a reasonably intelligent conversation with him.

I've tried all the specific available migraine medications (Imtrex etc)without success, and thus can only treat the pain.

I've got an occipital migraine as I write this, and I'm afraid to take percocet until I know whether I'll react to it like I did to the Emtec.

Thanks sincerely,
little

I know that anything with a morphine base can cause spasms in the sphincter of oddi.  Percocet is an oxycodone and acetaminophen combination.  I don't know if this helps your decision making process.  Sphincter of Oddi spasms are amazingly painful, I have two friends with SOD and their pain is unendurable!  Good luck with your doctor's appointment on Thursday.

Nanny

Nanny
Hi Nanny,
Thanks so much for the reply!
Is oxycodone derived from a morphine base?
Thanks!
little
HI,

I have SOD nad Morphine is my drug of choice.  I have heard it causes spasms, but most people I have been in touch with want that over demoral anyday of the week.  But we are all different and your body will let you know which drug it prefers.

TazLady
Oxycodone is derived from an opium base, as is morphine.  You really need to talk with your doctor about what he recommends.

Take care!
Nanny
My Gastro suspects that I may have SOD.  He prescribed Darvocet for pain and told me to stop taking all over the counter pain meds - including Tylenol because they are hard on the liver and the kidneys.  

Right before Thanksgiving I came down with a cold and called my pharmacist to find out what I could take with all the other meds I take daily.  She said that  Tylenol cold wouldn't be a problem.  I figured since it was just a cold and short term that I would go ahead and take it.  I finally ended up at my general practitioners office a weeks later because the cold only got worse.  She prescribed an antibiotic and decongestant.  

I brought her up to speed on what I had been taking for the cold and also on being referred to a specialist for SOD testing.  I questioned her about the prescriptions she had written for me and if they would interfer with what I was already taking (including Darvocet).  I explained to her how my gastro didn't want me to take Tylenol, etc.  She actually explained to me that Tylenol (acetaminophen) can cause spasms in the Sphincter of Oddi.  This is something I did not know.

I was admitted to the hospital in September (2 months after having my gallbladder removed) for what felt like a gallbladder/pancreatitis attack.  Demerol didn't touch the pain - I ended up with morphine and it controlled it pretty well.

I have SOD.  Have had this since Gallbladder removal in 1970.  After expereincing several "HORRID" SOD spasms early on after surgery, a new doc in town told me that I must stay away from Morphine, Codeine, Opiods and all their dervititives to avoid another attack. The very worst attack I had lasted 8 agonizing hours and was from taking 1/4 vicodin from the dentist. (cut the pill in quarters) DDS assured me this would not affect me.  IT DID!  I am not bothered by Tylenol or Ibuprofen or Bayer.  I take these in moderation.

I was told that Demerol with Phenergran was ok to take with SOD.
I have tried this on occasion for dental pain surgery and so far so good.

This does not mean that some will react to this also.  

I sympathesize will all that have SOD.  It is worse than passing a kidney stone.  I know...I recently passed one and give me the kidney stone pain over the SOD Spasms.

Happy Holidays....
I have SOD and I have taken Demerol and Phenergan (mepergan) for migraines and SOD pain. It works well for me, but I have also read where it may cause spasms. It is unusual for codeine to cause spasms, however everyone's body reacts differently - it's also not as strong as demerol.  It never worked for my SOD pain or migraines. You wrote that you've taken Imitrex - have you tried Axert?  It's similar to Imitrex, but there may be enough difference to help you. I wish you luck.
A related discussion, SOD spasms was started.