Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pancreatitis in Pregnancy
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pancreatitis in Pregnancy

I delivered twins by C-section at 33 1/2 weeks after being admitted into the hospital with severe stomach pain and vomiting.  I was diagnosed with pancreatitis and was in ICU for 2 weeks.  My condition worsened and I eventually was given a blood transfusion which ultimately saved my life.  

Medical history:  (1) Crohn's disease diagnosed in 1992 and 3 feet of small intestine removed in Dec. 1995 after repeated bowel obstructions.  I have been asymptomatic since Dec. 1995 and have required no medications.  I've had 2 follow up colonoscopies in the last 8 years; both showed no signs of Crohns.  (2) I had my gallbladder removed two months prior to becoming pregnant (gallbladder removed March 26th, 2003, pregnant by in vitro fertilization May 21st).  (3) Two weeks prior to my C-section, I was diagnosed with a liver problem that caused severe itching and I was treated with steroids and other meds.  (4) I continued taking my anti-depressants during my pregnancy (20 mg. Prozac and 200 mg. Wellbutrin).  I had been on those meds since 1999.  I do not drink, smoke or take any drugs other than the anti-depressants.  

I have tried to research pancreatitis during pregnancy to determine if it was something I did (eating habits, exercise, etc.) that caused the pancreatitis, but I am getting no answers.  Can you help explain the disease and give an opinion as to why I may have gotten it based on the information provided?  

Thank you!