Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Paralytic Ileus

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Paralytic Ileus

Anyone experienced Paralytic Ileus? I have been hospitalized 3 times in the last 5 months for an ileus and so far haven't really gotten any answers that made a whole lot of sense to me. It was suggested that it could be caused by viruses but so far I haven't really received any resolutions to my problem. I don't particularly relish the idea of being admitted to the hospital every 2 or 3 months. This is only one of several GI problems I have and coupled together they are quite debilitating. Has anyone had any experience with an ileus and have you received any definitive explanation or resolution to the problem?
Hi Carol,

each time I've had an ileus, it was a result of abdominal surgery or anesthesia.  my gut doesn't like to be touched and doesn't like to wake up after anesthesia.  I know there is something called chronic intestinal pseudo-obstructive disease.  have they checked your potassium levels and checked the blood supply to your bowel?  really out of whack potassium levels can cause motility problems and could result in an ileus.  and a blood supply problem could do the same thing.  those are the only things I can think of.  I certainly understand your not wanting this to keep happening.  take care
Kimbacat,
THANKS!
Your information was VERY helpful. I know what you mean about ileus after surgeries and anesthesia. I have that problem too. I was hospitalized 4 extra days last year following surgery because my intestines didn't want to "wake-up" as the doctor explained it. I searched the internet for chronic intestinal pseudo-obstructive disease. There is not an abundance of information out there, but I did find one really good article at http://www.usagiedu.com/articles/html/obs/obs.pdf for the benefit of anyone else who may be experiencing this type of problem and be looking for information. I plan to do some research of some of the information given in the article. I am sure it will help me be better prepared for my follow up appointments with my physicians.
Again, THANKS!
Carol