Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Paralyzed Stomach

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Paralyzed Stomach
The Doctor told me that the top part of my stomach is paralyzed and will not expand to accept food.  
1) What tests should be done?
2) What treatment is possible?
3) Is this due to damage of the vagus nerve?
I had gall bladder surgery.  I am on previcid.  PH test showed constant reflux.
Difficult to say without evaluation.  But to answer your questions.

1) A "paralyzed stomach" can be referring to delayed gastric emptying, or gastroparesis.

2) If that is the case, there are various medications that can be tried, such as the antibiotic erythromycin and the motility agent Reglan.  Also, underlying causes, like diabetes, should be evaluated for and appropriately treated.

3) Difficult to say, that should be discussed with your GI physician.  If gastroparesis is the case, secondary causes due to diabetes should be excluded.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.

KevinMD.com
Twitter.com/kevinmd