Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pea sized Hard Lump half inch inside anus.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I have found a hard pea sized lump about a half inch inside on the wall of the anus. It does not seem to move and is hard. It is under the skin, perfectly round, hard, and smooth. It is on the side of the anus at the front of my body. There is really no pain. I do feel a little pressure at the present time.

I am 39 years old. I have had a history of blood showing up on toilet paper for about 20 years. I went to a doctor about 10 years ago and was told the bleeding was probably hemorrhoids. I have since left it at that.

I have read many posts on this issue. My question is; can this be a hemorrhoid with the description I gave? It doesn't sound like it. If it doesn't go away in a week I will go to the doctor. In the mean time I would like to know if this could be anything other then cancer? There is nothing else abnormal in the area.

Thank you very much for your time. I hope to hear something soon.

Hemorroids, various types of cysts or cancer are amongst the possibilities.  Even if it does go away, seeing your physician to further evaluate this is recommended.  

Initial testing would include an anoscopy to visualize the lesion (if it is so close to the anus) and can range to a comprehensive colonoscopy.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, lump inside on my anus was started.