Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pea sized bump near anal opening..questions..

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hi, and thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Actually, I am posting for my fiance. He is 48 and weighs about 175, he is 6'2". Sedintary life style, high fat low fiber.
Recently, he discovered a slightly larger than a pea-sized lump near his anal opening (Id say about 1/2 an inch from the actual opening). It is asymptomatic. I have looked at it and it seems to be underneath the skin, it looks like a large pea underneath his skin. It is somewhat purplish in color, though not like the color of thrombotic (sp) hemorrhoids Ive seen on the net.
He has not noticed any blood, in his stools or on the toilet paper. He says it is not painful in any way. About 4 months ago his regular physician did a rectal exam using his fingers, and found nothing.
This lump is not changing in size, but it is not resolving either.
He has not had a colonoscopy. His physician will not give him one before 50. Any idea on what this might be? I initally thought external hemorrhoid, but his lack of symptoms puzzles me. Please advise when you have a moment. THANK YOU!
A cyst or thrombosed hemorrhoid can be considered.  However, before attributing it to this, you need to rule out rectal cancer.  

I would indeed suggest a colonoscopy to further evaluate this lesion.  If non-revealing, a referral to a surgeon can be considered for possible removal/biopsy.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
Don't worry! Despite the doc's cautionary advice to get this checked for rectal cancer, it is MUCH more likely to be an internal haemmorhoid. Many people have haemmorhoids that don't bleed or hurt, especially internally. I would lay money on this being the diagnosis once your husband has seen the doc. In the meantime he should get an over the counter haemmorhoid preparation, suppository as well as cream, and in 7 days time it will have shrunk.

It may come back, though, and so should still be checked out. You will need medical evaluation to see if it needs to be dealt with surgically as it will probably cause problems at some time in the future.
A related discussion, lump next to anal was started.