Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pepcid and bad side effects

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Pepcid and bad side effects

Hi everyone.  I was given the prescription pepcid for now because I've been having "stomach attacks" for over a year now.  I used to feel fine in between the attacks but now since I've been on the pepcid for a month I feel bad all the time.  I've got this stomach acid taste in my mouth and I feel sick to my stomach in the morning.  I want to stop the pepcid.  I think it's starting to cause more problems!  Any input anyone.
I was put on pepcid 40mg twice a day after a treatment for h.pylori and let me tell you that i get the same thing the taste in my mouth and feeling sick,you can get a lot of info from this site here is where i learned  a lot from other people going thru the same thing as well.i decreased the dosage to instead of 80 a day to 40 a day and it has been5 days and so far the bad taste is gone and i feel a little better.sometimes those meds do more harm than good.good luck.maria
I'm not familiar with the Pepcid, but I was on Prevacid for about 5-6 weeks and weaned myself off because of side effects.  I never had stomach pain until I started taking that and even now that I'm off of it for 3 weeks, still find that my system is slowly getting back to "normal".  I'm using the DGL before meals that several people on this site have talked about and feel that it is helping me.   I continue though to have good and not so good days, but the stomach pain has subsided considerably and I hope and pray to get feeling normal again soon.  It's up to you, but I'm all for trying "natural" means of healing and getting well.  You're definitely not alone in this.  Best wishes.
Here are some Gastric Reflux tips, without acid blockers! This is a "cut & paste".

Some GASTRIC REFLUX TIPS (without acid blockers):

GER=Gastro-Esophageal Reflux. (Gastro=stomach. Esophagus=food tube.)

LPR= Laryngeal-Pharyngeal Reflux. (Larynx=voice box, containing the 2 vocal cords. Pharynx=throat, above the larynx. The larynx is above the trachea/windpipe.)

Reflux=acidic or alkaline stomach material that backs up into the esophagus (food tube), causing any of these problems: VCD/Vocal Cord Dysfunction/Laryngospasm attacks, cough, voice problems, asthma, globus (feeling of lump in throat), constant need to clear throat, worsening of sinus condition, sore throat, pre-cancerous conditions of throat &/or esophagus, etc.

SOME GER/LPR CONTROL THINGS WE DO, that we learned from the excellent book: STOMACH AILMENTS AND DIGESTIVE DISTURBANCES, by Michael T. Murray, N.D. See page 9, References, in my website: http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com   and, also see GER/LPR info on page 5, and on LINKS page.

PLEASE READ THIS GREAT BOOK. It may possibly be bought on-line, from Michael T. Murray
Well, thanks at least I know it's not all in my head.  It's been a few days now and that bad taste is gone and I feel better now.  It was making things worse for sure.