Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Perforated Colon

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Perforated Colon
Three weeks ago I underwent emergency surgery to repair a perforated colon. The surgery was successful with the exception I now have a temporary colostomy that will be reversed in 4-6 months.
My question is this.
Five months ago I had a Colonoscopy. My results stated that the Colonoscopy was normal and that their was no Diverticular disease or polyps and my colon was clean. The doctor told me to come back in 10 years for my next test. I am a 69 year old male that never smoked.
Please explain to me how a doctor can give me a clean bill of health stating that I had no sign of Diverticular disease and 5 months later I almost died with Diverticulitis?
Ken, I'm sorry you needed emergency surgery.  A colonoscopy that clears one of evidence of diverticulosis and then soon later the same person has complications from burst diverticulitis is suspicious.  I'd have a second opinion review the records of the initial colonoscopy.

Enoch Choi, MD
A related discussion, Post Colonoscopy Constipation was started.
A related discussion, Ongoing Gastro Symptoms - Please Help! was started.
A related discussion, persistent lower abdominal bloating was started.