Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Please Help with Gastroparesis

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Please Help with Gastroparesis

My husband, who is 54 years old, has been diagnosed with gastroparesis.  He is currently experiencing an "attack" where he has extreme intense pain in his upper right abdominal area that radiates around to his back.  He has lost a significant amount of weight, has occasional nausea and pulsating in his stomach.  During his last attack eight weeks ago, I took him to the emergency room where they gave him morphine.  He's now on Vicadin for the pain and Regalin.  Can anyone suggest other ways to help ease his discomfort?  Or, is the gastroparesis diagnosis incorrect?  His doctor has said that what he's experiencing is "normal" for gastroparesis patients.  

Prior to being on Regalin he took Prevacid, which seemed to help much more, but his doctor said it's been taken off the market and can only be given to patients on a "compassionate" basis.  Is this true?  How difficult is it for the doctor to get permission to prescribe Prevacin?

I don't know what to do for him and I'm beginning to feel very helpless.  Any insight (or encouragement) would sure help both of us.
I don't think Previcid has been taken off the market.  I believe the drug you are referring to is Propulsid.  He may want to ask his doctor about Nexium.  If Previcid works good, then Nexium should work much better.  What about asking the doctor to do an Endoscopy?  When my gallbladder problems were diagnoised, I had an ultrasound done of my abdomen and an Endoscopy the same day.  Best of luck to your husband.
baseball mom is correct it was purpulsid that was pulled from the market not prevacid. i found a site that may be of help to you it is( www.tummyhealth.com ) then select delayed stomach emptying-(gastroparesis) .  i have a question for you, has your husband ever been diagnosed with dibetes? because i looked up several web sites and they all say that it plays a major part in gastroparesis .you realy need to read the full page to  understand the disease fully. i hope this helps in some small way .if i were you i would take your husband to a new gastro/digestive specialest and have a upperscope done to make sure what he is dealing with an what his options are.and iam not sure why your doctor would tell you that prevacid has been pulled unless he has things a little mixed up with the purpulsid drug.it just seems a little strange .i hope the site helps and i wish you an your husband well.god bless
I had gastroparesis and my symptoms were frequent and severe nausea, bloating, and no energy.  Right sided abdominal intense pain is not a typical symptom of gastroparesis to my knowledge, but can be a symptom of gallstones. Has your husband had a gastric emptying study done?  That will show whether or not he has gastroparesis. If he does have it, then he should try eating lowfat foods, small amounts at a time throughout the day. Do not lie down after a meal; sit up straight or try walking to increase the rate of emptying. Your support will be instrumental for your husband to deal with this problem. I hope all goes well for you and your husband.
My wife had her gallbladder out in December 2000 and since then her Gastroparesis has become much more sever.  She ha 1 stone and her GP said she needed it out and would be much better.  He lied!  Don't go on what a GP says, even many Gastroenterologist do not have good knowledge of Gastroparesis you will need to hunt for one that does. The only medicationat this time that helps at all is Motillium. We get it from Canada because it is not available in the US.  Good Luck
I sympathize with those who have gastroparesis.  I have was diagnosed with it ten years ago and have found that easily digested foods, no coarse foods and liquid foods are best.  Also if having 'solid' foods don't have water or juice at the same meal as this delays emptying of the solids.  My gastric emptying was badly delayed.  I was wondering if anyone has had surgery for this and could tell me what was done and if it helped.  There is a possibility for me to have a gastroenterostmy tube to drain the stomach.  I don't know much about this either.  Any info.  would be appreciated.  Right sided pain going into the back is not a symptom I have ever had it sounds like Gallbladder problems.  The pain and nausea is always under the left rib cage and below it...  All the best
I had severe gastroparesis and had a gastroenterostomy done 2 1/2 years ago.  It didn't improve and so I wound up having a distal gastrectomy for gastroparesis and bile reflux 8 months ago.  The bile had damaged the lower portion of my stomach which may have worsened the emptying rate.  Anyway, I feel a little better.  I still have quite abit of nausea, but that may actually be due to dumping syndrome which is common after a gastrectomy.  I wish you all the best, I know how hard it is to live with gastroparesis.
A related discussion, burping was started.