Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Please help. Mucous and abnormal stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Please help. Mucous and abnormal stool

It all began on September 26th 2002. I was not able to have a bowel movement. After a couple days my rectum hurt especially when sitting down, so I took some laxatives. I was able to go and after a few more bowel movements my pain subsided. The first time I went after the lapse there was blood on the outside of the stool. It wasn't a spot, but rather a long line approximately 3 inches long and very thin. Since then, I have abnormal stool where it is either brown (Light or dark) or a combination of the two colors. Also, sometimes all green and sometimes brown with a little green mixed in. In additon, there is residual food in my stool (The hard part of popcorn, lettuce, pineapple, tomatos, and a few other items) are the biggest offenders. I started taking Metamucil on October 1st.  I have noticed that there is a large amount of mucous in my stool as well as my stool being very stringy and slimy. I have not noticed any pain in my stomach with the exception of a gassy, bloated feeling under my belly button. After I go to the bathroom I generally feel better, but then after awhile the discomfort will return. For the most part I go to the bathroom 3 or 4 times a day, and after i jog the stool is much looser or runny. There is red streaks on the toilet paper after I wipe, but I attributed that to the strength I was wiping with.

I am 27, 6ft 210-215 pounds.I have purposly lost approximately 100 pounds in the last 6-7 months by dieting and jogging a lot. I take a multi-vitamin daily, and jog 3 times a week approximately 2 miles. No history of any bowel problems in family.
(Last article continued)  There is no history of any illesses affecting my family of this region.  Also, I have never had any problems either.  I Was overweight from about 1995-2001.  MY weight fluctauted from 275-310, but I was still active I just ate too much.  So, my diet and excerise has dramatically changed in the past 6 months. Also, Prior to all of this happening I was putting hot, hot sauce on my food at every meal, and a lot of it for like 2 weeks.
I have not gone to the doctor, because I am terrified of horpitals, doctors (Had heart surgery when I was in 4th grade and been scared since)  Also, my only fear in this world in getting cancer (Have had reoccuring dreams since I was 14)although there is not a history of cancer in my family.  I have been abnormal for like 2 weeks, and this is very new to me, but I am very scared, anxious, stressed out.  I Am sure this is not helping my ailment, but I can't help it. Advice and piece of mind would be greatly appreciated.  By the way, occasionally, I have dark spots in my stool that seems to be the popcorn kernels, but I am not positive.

I have been having off and on problems such as this for about 4 months.  No blood but mucous from time to time, often after straining and the mucous is often pinkish in color.  My stool has not been "normal" for quite some time, ranging from pale to very dark, foul-smelling, greasy, stringy and I notice pieces of undigested food.  There has been constipation and loose stool and gas and bloating.  I have been to the doctor and they say "irritable bowel syndrome" but I'm not sure if I believe it.  I have changed my diet drastically (no grains or sugars and no caffeine or alcohol) and this has helped a bit but it still comes back.
I suggest going to your doctor.  At the very least they can take blood to see if you're anemic, etc..then they can rule out certain things.  It's better to have it checked now to at least put your mind at ease.
Take care.
Well, most of what you describe sounds a lot like Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS). First, the foods you describe are all very hard to digest foods. So seeing those residuals in your stool is not reason for alarm. You don't describe seeing any blood or blood that would make one think that you are suffering any sort of bowel disease. Also, the diet change may make things a little irritated as well. So it sounds as if you have a lot of factors that may be contibuting to your symptoms. With that said, I also agree that you should probably see a physician to be worked up for any possible problems. That would give ME peace of mind, if that is truly what you want. Get some blood tests, have a colonoscopy(or sigmoidoscopy)and get the peace of mind that you are looking for. I hope all works out for you. Take care...

JCI
ALong with the symptoms I named above, I also have extremely smelly gas in case anyone else has a usch problem.
A related discussion, abnormal stool for last 4/6 weeks was started.
A related discussion, Bowel was started.