Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Please help.... stomach pain and very frustrated!!!!

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hi.  I've been living with left sided abdominal pain under my rib cage associated with back pain now for about a year and a half that is only getting progressively worse.  I now have very frequent nausea and can't sleep on my left side because of the pain.  I also get "attacks" of which I've had five in the last year and a half of extreme stomach pain that is so very severe that I can't even explain it accompanied by extreme nausea and vomiting which lasts for a few hours.  It is unbearable!!!!  I don't notice any relation of the pain to food or not other than it sometimes seems to flare up after I eat but it doesn't matter what it is that I eat.  

I've had blood work for amylase, lipase and multiple other blood tests which have all be negative.  CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis normal.  Ultrasound of the same normal.  72 hour fecal fat test normal.  I am now scheduled for a HIDA scan this Friday.  I am just so literally tired of everything.  Docs keep telling me IBS but I just don't know.  I can't imagine living with this pain and nausea like this and for it to only get worse.  

Has anyone else had any similar symptoms or any advise please???  Thank you!!!
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

I am sorry about your frustration with your symptoms despite normal tests.  I will discuss the causes of left upper quadrant pain and you may want to present these possible reasons to your personal physician if they have not been already covered.  

Causes of left upper quadrant pain specifically include:
splenic abscess
splenic infarct
gastritis
gastric ulcer
pancreatitis

Causes of epigastric pain specifically include:
peptic ulcer disease
GERD
gastritis
pancreatitis
myocardial infarction
pericarditis
ruptured aortic aneurism (aneurysm)

Causes of diffuse abdominal pain specifcally include:
gastroenteritis
mesenteric ischemia
familial Mediterranean fever
bowel obstruction
peritonitis
irritable bowel syndrome

You can see there are many possible reasons for your symptoms - some of which are pretty rare.  

Abdominal pain in IBS is usually described as a crampy sensation with variable intensity and periodic exacerbations. The pain is generally located in the lower abdomen, often on the left side; however, the location and character of the pain can vary widely. The severity of the pain may range from mildly annoying to debilitating. Several factors, such as emotional stress and eating, may exacerbate the pain, while defecation often provides some relief.

Since gastritis and peptic ulcer disease are in the differential of left upper quadrant pain, an upper endoscopy may be prudent to rule this out.  

I stress that this answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.

Have you not had a gastroscopy yet?  If not, I think you are overdue for one.  This test will reveal most things that are causing you pain in the epigastric region. It is a painless procedure and you will hopefully find some resolution to your problem.
ask your gastro to perform a colonoscopy better yet ask him to have upper and lower scopes done this way you cover all of your digestive system .i have had colon surgery for diverticulitis disease and if any way poss.you don't want to have any questions left unanswered.it took me a very long time for them to get to the root of the problem because they wanted to keep reaching for ibs and fibromyagia which i also have until they did the scopes and then they found every thing .so don't give up be strong and active in your own medical care.if you have any questions i may be able to help with fill free to ask ,god bless.wishing you well
I have had the same symptoms. I was hospitilized for one week with Acute Pancreatitis. Afterwords the pain continued although my amylase and lipase levels were normal. Ultra sounds have come back normal for gall bladder problems, and much like you I get pain in the upper left quadrant just under my rib cage. At one point the pressure was so great it left a bruise under my skin!
I have been diagnoised with gastritis, but the pain still persist even though I am on proton inhibitors (protonix). I have had a CT scan (still waiting for results) and I have also had a Endoscopic exam with a biopsy of my stomach taken. (still waiting for results) I am in the same boat. Pain and no apparent cause. They don't even know why I got pancreatitis to begin with! So do fret. I too am baffling doctors with the same pain. So now at least I know Im not alone.

Let me know how you fair with your symptoms and hopeful cause.
I'm having a similar situtation. For months, I have had the most bizarre set of symptoms: VERY frequent urination, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, pain in upper left abdomen. At first, the doctor said UTI, then intestinal infection, after treating both with no results, she ordered blood tests-a complete work-up came back completely normal. Then, an ultrasound of my upper abdoman-all normal. Finally, a Hida-Scan. It came back that my gall bladder is only putting out at 9%. I have an appointment with a surgeon tomorrow. But, I just don't understand how a gall bladder problem can make you urinate every hour and make your left side hurt. My right side has NEVER hurt. Any thoughts?
Update-I had my gall bladder removed a few days ago. I still have pain on the left. The surgeon said he looked around on the left and saw nothing. The gall bladder was infected though. I was hoping the pain on the left would go when the gall bladder did, but so far, no such luck. Any suggestions?
Left side pain. stomach or heart? symptoms: dizziness, palpitation, trembling, pain ore pressure on left side of stomach or alls... heart, lungs, liver, stomach, spleen, kidney, blood tests all are normal. and what? When doctors do not know what is going on whit you... the diagnosis are: anxiety, neurosis, depression, you are stupid... go home and relax.
I have those symptoms more than 3 year and nobody can tell me anything. I am stupid and the symptoms are not real. I have MD in psychology and I do not know I am stupid or depressed. What can I say....?