Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Polyp in gallbladder

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Polyp in gallbladder

I have suffered from discomfort under right ribcage now and then
the past three years. I have been diagnosed with a 6-7 mm polyp in the gallbladder by means of an ultrasound scan. They also find some indications of fatty liver infiltratons in a small scale.My doctor says that nothing has to be done, exept trying to loose weight and be careful with alcohol. All the bloodworks was normal.

Anyone who has experience with such polyps and what they can cause of pain and discomfort ?

Arne
1 Comment
I was diagnosed with a polyp in my gallbladder in Jan. of last year.  That polyp soon multiplied and then grew to about 5mm being the largest. I had alot of discomfort in the center and to the right of my abdomen.  I was told repeatedly to just leave things the way they were.  My symptoms continued to worsen and finally my Gyno. told me to get it out. I should have had a hida scan at some point, but no one even thought to recommend it. Including the Gastro. I was 39 at that point and appeared to be in very good health otherwise.
Anyway, I went ahead with the surgery even though I had no clue if it was necessary.  I was diagnosed with Chronic Cholecystitis and the gallbladder was on it's way to rupturing.  The polyps were described as small bumps and not even polyps at all.  So the ultrasound isn't as accurate as we may think. Unfortunately, my problem hasn't improved but it was a necessary surgery.  Please get a hida scan and go from there.  Unless polyps are 10mm, they don't usually take out the gallbladder. Hope this helps. Good luck!
A related discussion, gallbladder polyps was started.