Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Polyp removal
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Polyp removal

Hi. I realize this is not a place to get diagnosed, but perhaps you can shed some light on my situation.

Yesterday I had a Colonscopy done, and the Doc found and removed a large Polyp from the beginning of my colon near or in the Ileum. Of course it was sent to the lab and I dont know much about the polyp yet, however, he stated that my rectal bleeding was more than likely from the large polyp.

I had the C-scope yesterday and still notice some blood(not much, same as before C-scope) in my stool(whenever they are loose that is). Plus I feel some discomfort around the area where the Polyp was removed. Not pain, fever or anything, just slight discomfort.

My issues are:

1.) Is it normal to bleed for a while after a large polyp removal?  I am going to press for upper GI tests as well, but want to know how long these polyp removals can bleed.

2.) I know scopes and Barium type tests are better when it comes to looking at the intestines. However, When I had my scan the dye I drank acted as a laxative(weird huh?), and by the time I took the scan my BM's were pretty clear, so I think I was pretty cleaned out. If I had some kind of upper GI cancer tearing me up, would any evidence of that be on the CT scan, or are they pretty much worthless in GI matters?

3.) I have read that diverticula bleed and then they just suddenly stop bleeding completely. My bleeding is pretty consistent and not much at all since that first discovery of blood in SEPT. Is it possible I ruptured one of these diverticula and it bleeds only slightly when impacted with my feces? My bM's are pretty narrow and that tells me that feces could be putting pressure on Diverticula. But I think the blood would be brighter if that was the case.

Thanks a bunch.