Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Positive Hemoccult
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Positive Hemoccult

I have been having stomach issues since Dec 2005... I'm a 40 yo female with no significant med or surgical history. I'm a nurse practitoner, and quite possibly thinking/worrying, and need to run this by someone else.

Endoscopy , abdominal u/s,stool cultures, blood work, ovarian u/s...all negtive.
Colonoscopy in April revealed :

a. indefinite for dysplasia
b. inflammation consistent with inflammatory bowel disease/ulcearive colitis
c. acute cryptitis, moderate to severe colitis

the GI report said : cecum, acending (ascending).hepatic,transverse,splenis,descending,sigmoid all normal. Proctitis appearing in the rectum, it was arythematous, and exudative consistent with UC vs proctitis.

Since then, I've been taking 1000mg Canasa suppositories.

The urgency/rectal pressure has gone away.

The blood however, is still present, but only if I strain, or if the bowel movement is more on the formed/hard side.
If I strain, I will grt bright red blood on the stool, as a strek or 2, and maybe a bit on the toilet paper as well.

If the stool is formed , I'll just get a streak or 2 on the stool itself.

Sometime,  it will even be serosanguinous, not bright red.

I don't have, and never did have diarrhea.
My only symptoms are occasionally bloating ( 1-2 /week) upper abdominal pain ( 4-5 /week) and the rectal bleeding as I mentioned.

I went to the gyn for a regular check -up and the hemoccult test was positive.
I realize it would be as I have blood, but it was never positive before.( meaning at the GI's offcie, etc...I've had 3 other ones since the diagnosis, and they've all been negative)

The other thing that she was puzzled about was that the sample was clear, no stool, but it was still positive.( maybe it was mucous??)

Anyway,my questions are:

1. should I call the GI and tell him this? I have a follow-up sigmoidoscopy for July 28  to see if the suppositories are working and to see that hopefully there isn't any " dysplasia"

2. Does Proctitis spread? Could it be spreading?

3. How do I know this isn't cancer?

4. Does this mean that the suppositories aren't working? If so, what would be the next step?

Thanks in advance...

JFEM