Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Post Gallbladder surgery pain.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Post Gallbladder surgery pain.

I had my gall bladder removed in early December VIA the laproscopy method.  My recovery has been relatively uneventful with the exception to the fact that I cannot lay on my left side. This position causes me to have a burning, crampy  pain in my chest cavity as well and in and around the area of my right shoulder and up  the right side of my neck.   The pain is so intense that it actually causes me to be unable to breathe and I need to change position immediately.

Should I be concerned or is this a common symptom after this type of surgery and if so,  how long until it goes away?    

Thank you very much for any help that you may offer.

Lisa
Dear Lisa,
It is unusual to have severe pains after laparoscopic cholecystectomy.  The pains that you describe are not typical for  ulcer disease, pancreatitis or common bile duct stones.  If you are having frequent pains or if the pain is interfering with your normal activities, then you should revisit your physician
Hi Lisa,  I had my gallbladder removed same way, but was done in August 1999.  I have had intense pain through both sides of my upper back since I woke up from the surgery.  I have tried to tell the doctors about this - I also have the pain in through my shoulders and my neck.  I am having another scope done 1/20 along with biopsies.  I don't understand why I have the pain in through my back either, especially since it has been there since I woke up from the surgery.  Maybe they can tell me something after the scope this Thursday.  Good Luck!!  
Janice S.
I had my gallbladder out 3 years ago.  I get severe pain at the early morning hours.  I take tagament which helps with the pain.  I just had a Barriam swallow test done which shows gird. Acid reflux disease.  It is common to have pain especially if you eat fatty or greasy foods such as ice cream, pizza, chinese etc.
I had lapriscoic gallbladder removal in early December.  For years I suffered what I thought was heartburn or reflux or maybe a hiatal hernia.  I would get a lot of pain in the middle of my chest around the solar plexus and it would radiate into my upper chest. I am 39 years old and I must of had this pain for about 10-12 years.  The past couple of years I have put on some weight and the pains got worse.  My doctor put me in the hospital last year to rule out my heart.  6 months later I had an endoscopy which showed nothing.  A couple of months later I wound up in the emergency room with the most sever pain of my life. (and I have had several kidney stones) The pain was in the middle and right side of my abdomen.  My liver enzymes went through the roof and they told me it was a gallstone.  Luckily the stone passed but they told me the gallbladder had to come out.  

Since the surgery all the pain that I had been having  over the years is gone. The surgery was painfull for the first few days but the recovery went by quick.  Now I still feel a little week but I am ok and for the first time pain free.

It turns out my gallbladder was filled with stones and not working.  How could the doctors mis diagnose me for that long. Over the years I must have taken a million antacids or thought I was having a heart attack a hundred times. The doctors excuse is that my symptoms were not typical gallbladder sypmtoms. It took winding up in the hospital in what could have been a life threatening situation to figure out what was wrong. So if any of you are experiencing the same type of pain as I did, having my gallbladder removed has taken away the pain.
I hope this is helpfull to someone.

If you have any questions you can Email me at ***@****
My wife had the gallbladder removed thru optiscoptic surgery and has had absolutlly no pain. I don't think that pain is normal after surgury and you should again visit your doctor
I also had my gall bladder removed after suffering with debilitating pain between my shoulder blades.  Once I recognized that the pain usually came after certain meals I offered that info to my Dr. who ordered and ultra sound test.  I had the gall bladder removed back in 1993 but have recently (within the past 6 months) experienced the same awful pain between my shoulder blades.  I was told by a friend (with no medical experience) that I might actually have a gall stone in the ducts that are left behind after surgery.  I had never heard of this before. It certainly was never mentioned by my doctor.  Does anyone out there have any experience with this?  How can I find out for sure if it's a stone causing all this pain?  Another ultra sound? and then surgery?

I am experiencing some problems that might be gall bladder and could use some advice.  I have experienced lately (on 3 occasions) severe pain in my chest area, difficult breathing, pain in my shoulders and neck.   It usually lasts for approx. 1 hour.  With a burning feeling.  The pain usually goes from the front,  straight back.  The first instance I thought it was my heart and had all the usual tests and the doctors found nothing wrong.  They tested my liver, enzymes were elevated, heart enzymes were ok.  The weird thing about this is I only have these attacks while driving.  I need some help.  Any suggestions.
You state that you have these attacks while
driving, do you drive the same time every
day,(to and from work)?  Do you eat within
2-hours of driving?  Your pain probably is
not triggered by driving at all!!!
This is my first visit to this site.  This reply is to Shelly.  Your friend is correct.  I had gall bladder surgery May 1997.  I had excruciating pain immediately after surgery on the right side when I tried to stand up and actually screamed.  They said it was gas because I had a broken bed and had laid wrong until I could get up!  It felt worse than labor pains! I complained six months after surgery that I still hurt but was told that it was probably adhesions. In November of 1998, I experienced bad pains on my left side from the back to the front and have had periodic reoccurrences since then.  I have revisited the specialist who removed my gallbladder with laproscopic surgery.  He is considered an expert in his field in this area.  He said there may still be gall stones left behind after the surgery or a clamp may have come loose.  He explained further and said he didn't really want to "go back in" unless the pain got too bad and I asked him to.  The most current episode (mild) was last week. Today I visited a new general physician who is going to run tests to see if I have a kidney stone.  I suggest you visit your physician or the specialist who performed the surgery.  I really believe this is more than a pulled muscle and am hoping to find a solution.  Good luck!
Correction:  Pain in on right side - not left.
I had surgery a year ago this April to remove my gall bladder.  I am still not feeling great.  I still have a burning sensation where the gall bladder was removed and the area is still sore.  Is this common or are there some unlying causes. The can find nothing.
Let me tell you about gallbladder pain.

I've had this since elmentary school.  The chronic attacks lasted for days and worsened after meals.  My mother had the same experience and we both had our gallbladders removed at the age of 30.  The problem was genetic, nothing could change our destiny.  

I tried a different diet, and stopped drinking.  It didn't work.  I visited over 20 doctors who all called is gas, and Irritable Bowel Sydrome.  Blood Tests and Sonograms showed nothing wrong.  I was in great physical shape so I didn't appear to be the typical gallbladder patient.  Acupuncture and strong Chinese Herbs kept me going for 2 years before my surgery.  Fasting helped tremendously during the attacks.

I finally got a book of medical conditions from a neighborhood pharmacist and read every gallbladder problem listed.  I finally diagnosed myself.  My skinned had turned yellow and the pains worsened.  I took Opium suppositories to help relieve the pain during attacks.  Finally I marched into my selected surgeon's office and insisted that "I know my body and I know that something is wrong!!"  He immediately sent me for a sonogram.  My experiences with sonogramists aren't wonderful. Most don't take their time to get an accurate test.  The one sonogramist that did took a long time.  30 minutes went by as I turned in various positions until finally (as I watched)  little dots appeared from nowhere.

My gallbladder was removed soon after.  My condition was severe and the surgeon didn't expect it.  The organ hardened and was filled with sand-like sludge.  It also was going bad and connecting itself to other organs and making them go bad as well.  The surgeon told my husband, "That organ should not have been in her body!"  The same surgeon told me a year earlier that it was gas.  Without documented proof, they can't do anything.  You MUST be your own doctor.  

New life was bestowed upon me after my surgery.  Nothing bugged me, and for 4 years I was pain-free until 1998.  I had a chronic attack that started instantly and never went away.  My liver area was bloated, and a slight touch was excrutiating.  I was nautious, dizzy, and fatiqued.  It felt like the gallbladder pains I knew so well, but was more in my liver.  Sonograms and blood tests showed nothing.  Doctors are baffled and call it everything but liver.  Once again I'm finding myself going from one doctor to another to find an answer.  The pain has gotten better from years of different therapies including:  fasting, bodywork, herbal, relaxation and yoga.  

Through my struggles I have found the following to be greatly helpful:

Gentian (Angostura bartenders bitters)
Fasting for 3 days w/ Pear or Apple Juice
Nature's Secret cleansing program (3 part system)
Cascara Sagrada (included in the Nature's Secret)
Have someone pound your right upper back with their fist
Breathe deeply into the painful area
See a Chinese Herbalist.

Good Luck!    ***@****

I was recently told my liver functions were elevated. The insurance company told me my SGOT was 396 and my SGPT was 132. If anybody can tell me what this means I sure would be grateful.I did have my gallbladder removed in July '96 and have had pain in that area for about 8 months.
My docotr told me that tests shows my gallbladder is dieased and only working at 15%.  I am having lower back pain. Sometines I get pains under and around my right shoulder blade. Could the pain be coming from the gallbladder?
I find these comments so interesting.  I had gallbladder surgery in Oct 99 and have had pain since.  I had pain in the middle of my chest prior to the surgery.  I was told I had gallstones but after surgery there were only sand particles in the gallbladder.  I now have pain in the area where the gallbladder was, in the front and back, as well as back pain, which I have now been told is a pinched nerve (unrelated to the other pain).  In the past few weeks, I have been experiencing pain every time after I eat in the area where the gallbladder was.  Anyone experience this?  Why do I have more pain now than before the surgery and pain whenever I eat?  Any suggestions?  My dr is now saying its my colon but I am skeptical.  I have pain in the chest, back and side.
Well, you can add me to the list of people who have had their gallbladder out and are in chronic pain.
     I had mine out after feeling nausea and some small amount of pain. That was 9 months ago.
     Immediately after getting it out, the nausea was intensified. The pain was so intense, it felt like I had been shot with a bullet. Laying on my right side was impossible. It took me 6 months to have a solid stool. (Never a problem before).
     I have had every test and tried every drug available. I am still in pain. The nausea is better, but not better than before the operation. The pain is in my solar plexus, my right and left upper quadrant.
     I have been told that it is "post cholysyscestomy (sic) syndrome" and that it will clear up in a year. I have my doubts, and of course, hopes.
     Oh yes, I also now have very deep burps that are never ending and independent of eating or not.
     Does this sound familiar to anyone? God, I wish I still had my gallbladder. I wasn't half this sick before. Other than this, I've never had any health problems before.
I had my gallbladder removed about 5 months ago and this past week I started to have this pain right in the same area as my gallbladder used to be.  It is a deep pain that radiates to my back and a bit toward my shoulder blades.  I'm quite concerned by the abruptness of this pain.  I'm just 26 yrs. old and I'm worried sick.  Could my elevated stress be the cause? Or is it because I lifted one two many grocery bags?  Curious.  Please respond!
I had my gallbladder removed in Dec after having pain on my right side, back & side for over a year.  I sometimes would get nauseous like a car sick feeling. Nothing really triggered it, it just came & went. My ultra sound showed no stones, but my hidascan showed my gallbladder was only contracting 6%. What a shock.  Anyway, since my surgery Dec 17, 1999, I still have pain on my right side.  Back & side,and now it radiates some into the front.  I had a IVP to check my kidneys, which showed normal kidney function. My doctor told me it's myalgia.  Which is a fancy word for muscle pain. I doubt this seriously, but I decided to wait and take the muscle relaxers for a while to see what happens.  I can't beleive my pain is worse now, than before the surgery, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this. It's very frusterating.  I can't sleep because of the pain, and of course, now, the muscle relaxers should help with that too, but so far, there's no relief. I guess I'll give it a while and see what happens. I feel like I'm at a loss.
I'm glad I found this sight, since there's no one to talk to, who understands my pain, and hopeless feelings.
I have been having severe abdominal discomfort for aprox. 1 year. April 99 was is hospital for tests all of which reveals a
non functional gall bladder. Put on medication to finish out the
school year. June 99 had gall bladder removed. I was pain free for about 7-10 days. The the pain returned as before surgery.
Returned to surgeon who ordered more tests that revealed
nothing. Have lost 30-35 lbs and am on limited diet non fat,
non dairy, not spicy foods and especially no salads. All of which send me into extreme stomach spasms.  I have a tightness in
my abdomen under my belly button that feels like someone hasa super human grip on me. I also have vomiting and diarreha. Is there help for me out there?
I am adding my name to the list of those with post cholestectomy pain. I had my gallbladder removed in 1986 and have had recurring "ghost gallbladder" pain off and on ever since. I've had endoscopy done and liver enzymes blood work which from time to time show elevation but no cause found. I wonder about stones being in the duct? Also often after this pain I will notice a change in the color of stool from normal to very light in color. Is this not an indicator of a stone? The pain generally begins in the right midsection and radiates to the right back and up the neck and jaw. It feels like a gripping, grinding pain that travels sometimes from right to left deep within. I generally just remain very still until it passes. There seems to be no one thing which precedes the pain as a causitive. Don't know what good this forum is when the doctors don't seem to know the cause or to even be concerned. I've been told that it was "nothing" and "it is your heart" and was put on a medicine for angina which didn't do a thing. Had stress test done....no problem found. But the pain still recurs and I shudder when the now familiar pressure begins.
I have been diagnosed with bilaiary dyskinesia, which is a 5% functioning gallbladder. My worst sympton is fullness in my chest which feels like someone is cutting off my air supply. My breathing gets labored, I drink 3-4-5 cans of 7-up, belch 10-15 times over periods of 2-3 hours, & then feel better. Along with chest pain from left to center to right, pain in my arm, heartburn & just a few major stomach aches.  I also have recently been diagnosed with GERD & Hiatel Hernia. I feel triple wammied!!!!! My gallbladder surgery is coming up, however I don't know how much longer I can live like this. I can't go anywhere without my 7-up. I have restricted my diet severly. No caffeine, alcohol, spicy foods, fatty foods, greasy foods, salads, cheeses. It feels like a heart attack & I have had a complete heart work up. I have even had an EP Study of the heart all they found was a rapid heart for which I take a heart pill called Zebeta daily. I also take prevecid 2 times a day for the GERD & Hiatal Hernia.  My main question & concern is will the gallbladder surgery help all of these symptoms. Are they somehow related. Most have the same symptoms according to my research.  It's to the point where I am truly affraid to eat.  Can anyone shed some light please & wish me luck.  Thanks in Advance
Hi to all fellow sufferers:
I'm new to this board, but can definitely relate to a number of postings here.  I suffered from gallbladder-related symptoms for at least 10 years, beginning during my first pregnancy.  I had pain in the upper right quadrant/liver area, burning stomach pain just beneath the breastbone & through to the middle of my back, a shaking feeling just beneath the breastbone (as though someone had tapped a tuning fork & placed it there & which sort of radiated throughout my body & into my arms & legs, like a humming sensation), chest pain, pain behind the right shoulder blade which radiated into the right arm & sometimes into the neck & face, nausea, headaches, dizziness, even blurred vision when an attack really got going, alternating constipation/diarrhea, and light colored stools (indicating that enough bile was not getting through). These attacks would last for hours, and at first I did not realize that they were related to eating. I just seemed to be sick all day long. But when you stop to think that you eat three times a day & that attacks can last for hours, you begin to recognize that being sick all day  is very possible. I went from doctor to doctor looking for answers. I had bloodwork, ultrasounds, MRIs, CT scans.  Everything was normal. Eventually, I began to notice some patterns. Certain foods really seemed to have a negative impact, particularly greasy or rich foods. I did some research & concluded that my symptoms sounded very much like gallbladder.  I checked into family history & discovered that my mother & both grandmothers had their gallbladders removed, and that my mom's problems had begun with her pregnancies also. Finally, I went to my internist with my suspicions & he ordered additional testing. Even so, further ultrasounds, more bloodwork, two scopes (colonoscopy & gastroscopy) turned up nothing. Only when I went in for a CCK Hidascan (this test measures actual gallbladder activity, not only whether or not you have stones) did abnormal gallbladder function show up. Surgery was ordered.  Continue>>>
I expected my symptoms to disappear. No luck. They never disappeared completely, although I would have periods where they would be better & other times when I would have flare-ups. The symptoms themselves were nearly identical to those that I'd had before the surgery. It was like having gallbladder attacks all over again. I also noticed that stress would set these attacks off. After more testing; stomach acid ph test, motility test, another 2 scopes, 3 cardiac stress tests, more bloodwork (all tests negative), and trials on Prilosec, Prevacid, Propulsid (what a horror that was!), Levsin, Bentyl, Donnatal, it was finally suggested that I might have a problem with Sphincter of Oddi. Apparently, this sphincter at the base of the common bile duct can malfunction either before or after gallbladder surgery & can create symptoms similar to those that we recognize as being related to gallbladder attacks. I only just recently began to research this conditon, called "biliary dyskinesia" or "Odditis". My gastroenterologist recommended ERCP & sphincter manometry (a procedure in which the bile ducts are examined for stones,obstructions,and abnormal pressure in the ducts or sphincter is evaluated). Stones or obstructions may be removed, or a cut in the sphincter may be performed to help release pressure. Unfortunately, there are often nasty complications from this procedure (pancreatitis, mild or acute, as well as long-term complications that may actually make your conditon worse)& no promises that the procedure will even work to eliminate your symptoms. After reading about the risks & hearing about them from the doctor who was going to perform this procedure on me, as well as reading postings from people who've had it done (mostly negative), I chose NOT to have it. I will try diet (avoiding fats, chocolate, spicy foods, citrus, etc. to ease some of the GI symptoms and try to prevent sphincter/duct spasms) and medication (nitrates, anti-spasmodics, and calcium channel blockers have been shown to have some benefit), relaxtion techniques (stress has been shown to be a provacateur in this sydrome), aloe vera gel (2 oz. three time daily) to soothe the stomach, as well as any other techniques that I may come across that may be of benefit. I can tell you that this condition has exacerbated & relapsed (during which symptoms were fairly mild) for me over the past 5 years without any special treatment from me except for one: the Liver/Gallbladder Flush. If you've never heard of it, it is something that you might want to consider trying. I always found it to be of benefit in the past, especially before I had my gallbladder surgery (it really provided relief). It seems to clean out the liver & gallbladder & I often found stone-like masses (yellowish-green masses that often looked crystalline & had the consistency of candlewax) in the toilet on the morning after having completed it. Invariably, my pain around the liver area would disappear & my symptoms would subside for lengthy periods of time. I'll post the procedure later for anyone who might be interested. For all I know, somebody else may have tried it and posted it already. In the meantime, good luck to all. I will record my own results in future, now that I know what I'm dealing with & have plotted a course of action.
I had my gallbladder removed in '95 & expected my symptoms to disappear. No luck. I continued to have attacks very similar to those I'd had before the surgery. My symptoms would exacerbate & remit (at times they would be quite mild) without me taking any particular precautions. Unfortunately, whenever I did have a flare-up, I'd go back to my internist, who was unable to come up with anything. He sent me back to the gastoenterologist who'd initially confirmed the gallbladder diagnosis. More bloodwork, 2 more scopes, CT scan, stomach acid ph test, motility test, all turned up nothing. Trials on Prilosec, Pepcid, Prevacid, Bentyl, Levsin, Donnatal,and Propulsid (what a nightmare that was!), all to no avail. Finally, my gastro mentioned the possibility of Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction (also called biliary dyskinesia or Odditis). I just recently began to research this condition. Apparently, the sphincter at the end of the common bile duct can malfunction & spasm (either before or after gallbladder surgery) & produce symptoms which we recognize as being related to gallbladder attacks. My gastro recommended that I have ERCP & sphincter manometry (a procedure which exams the bile ducts for stones, obstructions, or abnormal pressures in either the sphincter or the ducts). Stones & obstructions may be removed and/or the sphincter cut to relieve pressure. Unfortunately, there can be some very nasty complications with this procedure (primarily pancreatitis, either mild or acute, as well as long-term complications which might actually make your conditon worse). Having read about & been informed of the risks by the doctor who was going to do the procedure on me, and having read posings by people who've had it done (mostly negative), I chose NOT to do it. I will try diet (eliminate fatty & fried foods, chocolate, dairy, spicy, citrus & anything else that can irritate the digestive tract, at least for awhile), medication (nitrates, anti-spasmodics, and calcium channel blockers have been shown to be of some benefit), relaxation techniques (stress has been shown to be a provacateur of this condition), aloe vera (2 oz. three time daily to soothe the digestive tract),exercise, and any other technique that I come across that may be helpful. I will say that this condition has waxed and waned over the last five years without any precautions on my part except one: the Liver/Gallbladder Flush. I'll post that later for anyone who might be interested. It really helped me in the past & offered lengthy periods of relief. Oftentimes, after I completed this procedure, I'd find gallstone-like objects in the toilet the next morning. Yellowish-green, crystalline masses. Invariably, the area around my liver felt much better & my symtoms (symptoms) would disappear. For all I know, somebody else may have tried this & posted it. In the meantime, good luck to everyone & I'll report back in the future as to my progess, now that I know what I'm dealing with & have plotted a course of action.

I had my gall blader removed 1 year ago and never had any crisis again ,but still fill a litle pain in the place were it use to be ,is it natural?

I had my gall blader removed 1 year ago
and never had any crisis again ,but still
fill a litle pain in the place were it
use to be ,is it natural?
I have been struggling with gallbladder attacks since being pregnant with my second child four years ago.since then attacks have gotten worse and last up to nine hours,then it takes another few days to fully recover.I've done two flushes which helped for maybe a week,I fast often using fresh fruit and veggie juices plus spirulina and this is the only thing that brings relief from the constant pain and nausia.I'm tired of always being sick and in pain.I'm scheduled to see a sergeon in a couple of weeks.I've done countless hours of research and am VERY hesitent about having the surgery.Doctors claim it's no big deal,but I keep hearing horror stories of ones who have had the surgery and continue to suffer! Also know personally seven women who have had their gallbladders removed and all are now obese,all claiming to have gained after surgery.Is weight gain also a side effect? Please help,any advice would be appretiated.  THANKS>>>>
I had laparoscopic cholecystectomy 8 days ago.  I see the surgeon in 4 days for final followup.  I'm concerned about the amount of incisional pain I'm having, but I don't want to be a hypochondriac!
I have no fever, no redness,no bleeding/oozing, no nausea or vomiting, none of the red flags.  What I do have is a lot of pain under the belly button incision (the other 4 are fine, starting to itch a little).  I have a huge bruise below my belly button - can't cover it with 2 hands.  I also have a very hard spot radiating out from the incision - maybe an inch long - which is very tender, but most of the pain is to one side of it.
I was doing quite well 4 days ago; then I went back to work (office work, sedentary but involving leaning, twisting, bending, stretching).  The next day I was much more sore, and have been feeling more sore each day.   I assume that going from very little activity at home to some activity at work would cause a little extra soreness, but this much?
I'm still taking pain meds and walking hunched over.  I thought I'd be pretty much back to normal by now.  Is something wrong, or am I just healing a little slowly?  Should I call the doctor early, in spite of the absence of redness etc?
Comment to Leticia:
In light of the complications I have had for the past 4 months since my gallbladder surgery, I would NOT recommend surgery!!!!!!!!  Spare yourself the trouble and seek the help of a dr who uses "natural" methods of healing.  Colon cleansing, liver cleansing, etc.  If I could do it over, I would NEVER had had my gallbladder removed!  I have WAY MORE problems now than I did before with no answers.  Drs do the surgery and then walk away from you.  NO answers when it doesn't go the way they expect.  If natural methods don't work, then resort to surgery but use it as your LAST resort, not first!!!
I had gall bladder surgery on New's Year Eve (what a way to start the new millenium).  Post-recovery went ok but took much longer than expected. The dr. tried but couldn't complete laproscopic procedure and finally went in the old fashioned way. Below the 8 inch incision I have absolutely no feeling on my skin.  The dr. said this is normal and, due to the incision, it is likely that no feeling will return.  Is there anyone out there that has had the old fashioned surgical procedure and got their sensory feeling back beneath the incision?
Re:Jim 2/22/00 I had my gallbladder out 10 years ago. I can't remember if my skin was numb after the surgery,but it isn't now.Your condition sounds abnormal to me as I know of other people who have had the"old"surgery, and they do not suffer as you do. I would see another surgeon.
Thanks for your message re: sensory feeing below the incision.  I don't know how long it should take for the feeling to "reappear" but am going tio give it another month or so before I get a second opinion.  In the meantime I guess that I should be more concerned with the burning sensation that I am experiencing in the abdomen.  When I went in for the operation I thought that everything would be so simple---just reach in and pull it out.....little did I know!!
Post liver biopsy pain. I have been tested for elevated liver enzymes for the past two years. Recently (4 weeks ago I had a liver biopsy that produced extreme pain during and after the procedure. I am still experiancing minor pain from the area. Can anyone explain? The doctors cannot.
I have had problems in the last several years with pains in my solorplexes area and around my liver. I had what was considered a mild case of Hepitius and had moderatly high liver counts. Sense then I have had no liver problems just reflux, pain , nausea...  I just had blood work and everything is fine and I had a hyda scan and have not heard the results. From what I have read here I am heading for the Homeopathic Doctor and not surgery.  It is hard to beleive that the medical community is so
dumfounded of the obvious problems that occur from the results
of this procedure. I have little faith in todays medicine and much more with the holistic area.  It makes much more sense to go that route. Just mabey a few more Doctors out there will choose to learn the right way to heal the body is to do it naturally.  Learn of a reputable Homeopathic Doctor in your area
and you will be amazed at the difference they can make in your life.  Good luck to everyone of you still in pain....
Has anyone had all the medical test used to detect gallbladder disorders and everone of them turned out negative???   I have had at least 3 ultrsounds, barium exrays, gallbladder/liver funtion test, and nothing shows any problems??  I have seen a specialist in this field and he feels with my symptoms I am actually having problems with my gallbladder.  I must tell you that I have the right sided pain under my ribs sometimes radiating into my back and up into my shoulder, nausea at times, unable to eat any meal that is rich in "fat" etc.  Sometimes I can become almost bedridden from the pain and ill feeling that comes with it.
I don't want to get my gallbladder removed and find out it wasn't the problem?!?!?!  Anyone else had this happen to them? And what did you do about it?        Thank  you.
3 years ago I had gallstones, my husband was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver.  We both had the hep jabs for Turkey 12 months before.  I had my gall bladder out but still felt the same pains.  Doctor prescribed tablets (don't know what) but the lit.said inhibiting the pump system. 2 weeks after surgery still feeling a "twinge in the side" but moved 900 block pavers.  Since only indegestion pains eating mayonaise.
Husband died July 1999 with cryptogenic liver disease after being told he was heavy drinker (completely not true  and still fighting his cause).
If you are not happy with your treatment, ask for a copy of your med. notes.  Make good reading.  Be prepared for "them" to say you can't have them.  In England, by law, they are your right.  Don't take no for an answer.
Scary stuff.  I'm booked in for removal of my Gall Bladder in April. arrghh you're all putting me off!  I try to think that only people with problems are in here searching for solutions... perhaps there's hundreds out there that haven't had a problem (here's hoping)

For alot of you that have had the gall bladder remove and still have similar problems (of course i'm obviously no expert not having had it removed yet) but if they couldn't do the choliangogram (or another words putting dye into your bile duct to ensure no stones were there) this could be your problem.  folloing this an ERCP should be done.

HELP!!! My dad had gallbladder surgery about three weeks ago.  He is still having complications.  before surgery he was throwing up bile.  Now every time he starts back to eating solid foods his belly swells up and he again throw up bile.  The doctors don't understand the what the problem is.  He is still in the hospital. They have done x-rays and saw a blockage in his small intestine, but this same blockage was there when he had his surgery. But when the surgeon looked at his intestine during surgery he found nothing wrong with it.  Every thing seems fine untill he starts on a regular diet.
I had my gallbladder removed 03-01-2000 and am starting to recover nicely.  I went back to work 03-06 with mild nausea.  This subsided 03-08.  The stitches under the skin on the belly button and above have been popping out, probably from too much movement.  I should have rested longer.  I had a slight infection in the belly area which cleared up with neospoirn.  I had my follow up yesterday and got a good report.  So far, I have not had any of the problems noted above and hope I will not suffer as it sounds like many have.  I'm still a bit tender but can tell things are moving along well.  I feel I had good doctors and treatment and was given sufficiant pain killers.  I have not had the problem with diarrhea like the surgeon said I might, more the opposite.  I hope all sufferes out there can find some releif.
To MAL,  The only sure way to see if your gallbladder is functioning properly is the Hida-A-Scan with CCK.  All the other tests:  ultrasound, cat-scan, etc only show up stones.  The Hida-A-Scan isn't without pain, but it's the ONLY way to know for sure if the gallbladder is working.  It's not a terrible test.
It has been 5 days since I had my gallbladder removed by laparoscopic surgery.  There is a burning and severe pain when I take a deep breath in the area where my gallbladder had been. Yesterday, I went back to my surgeon who ordered blood test and chest x-ray.  He said everything was normal and changed my pain medication and told me to use a heating pad in that area.  It is worse now and I guess I will have to call the office again.  Any suggestions?
To Jim in Pittsburg, I had my gallbladder out 10 years ago and my incision is still without feeling!
I had my gallbladder removed 12/29/99, and I feel fine today. The first week after the surgery I was in pain and the incisions were burning, which is natural - they did cut you open. Two weeks after my surgery I started working out again, and never had a problem again.
My father recently had his gall bladder removed the old fashioned way.  He was released 3 days afterwards and returned 4 days later with an infection.  The drs are having difficulty getting the infection under control and he has begun to experience swelling in his abdomen and legs.  It seems this surgery is an incomplete solution to the complications.
After 6 months of pain, 5 doctors and $23,000 I have finally found a surgeon that did a hida scan and found out the gallbladder was only working 11%.  To be taken out April 10 if I can last that long.  Two pain pills every 3 hours.  Can't eat for fear of throwing up and the extreme pain that I have 2 hours later.  Now very light headed, headaches and getting weaker by the day.  Doctor very worried about my blood pressure 107/33.  I have already had a heart cath and that was normal.  With all the problems that I am reading about it scares me to have gallbladder out, but now there is no choice.  I have gone into shock in other operations I have had.  When I had the heart cath done they couldn't even find a reading and then I started to throw up and went into hard chills.  I'm so afraid this will happen again.  Doctor is aware of my problems and said he will have cardiologist stand by.  I hate this feeling that I can't win.  When they take this out I don't want to have this pain again.
I wanted to let everyone know that my surgery went very well.  It has been four days now without all the pain I had before the surgery.  Eating anything I want with no problems.
Think twice about Laparocopic surgery.  I had this surgery and awoke to severe pain, to which the nurses said was caused by the gas they inject during the surgery.  After insisting that I be admitted to the hospital, 30 hours later it was found that the surgeon had remove part of my bile duct.  I was 10 days in the hospital and 3 months off of work.  I still have complications that will last the rest of my life.
Hi there,
     Has anyone ever heard of stones lodged in the liver ? After many months of pain, ultrasound ,ERCP and removal of gall bladder my poor husband continued to experience pain,fever chills,sweats etc until a team at Montreal's St. Luc hospital discovered stones lodged in the left lobe of the liver and subsequently 2 segments were surgically removed(all this in summer 95 ). Recovery went well and all was well until a month ago-same symptoms-same problem in the remaining left lobe. Once again surgery is suggested . Can anyone suggest where alternative treatment is available. ERCP cannot go in the duct where the stnes are lodged. Surgery seems extreme at this point for now there will be nothing left of the left lobe .COULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME AND OPTIONS-NEW SURGERY DATED MID-JUNE AND WE WOULD PREFER ALTERNATIVES .WRITE AT ABOVE ADDRESS.Apparently this ailment is very rare in Caucasian but predominant in Asiatics. Any comments?
Michele
I HAD MY GALL BLADDER REMOVED IN DECEMBER,99. SINCE THEN I HAVE HAD SEVERE CHEST PAIN JUST LIKE WHEN I HAD THE BAD GALL BLADDER.
MY SURGEN RAN A BLOOD TEST TO SEE IF IT WAS PANCREATITAS, BUT IT CAME BACK NORMAL. I WENT TO MY REGULAR DR. TODAY AND HE IS STUMPED, I AM STARTING TO THINK HE DOUBTS MY PAIN.
THE PAIN IS IN MY CHEST AND GOES UP MY NECK WHERE SOMETIMES ITS HARD TO BREATH.
DOES ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTION?
THANKS,
RUTH
I had my gallbladder removed around about 2 months ago. It was diseased no stones or anything though. I found this out because I was always sick to my stomach, I mean almost all the time. Anyways since my surgery I thought I would have a little relief. NO SUCH LUCK!! I am still nauseaed all the time, no appetite, etc.... Well just hoping someone can relate and give me some advice? I am at this point despirate.
Where are all the pictures? I want to see some pictures. I am a visuall person. I think that it would  be a cooler site if you put soem pictures on it.
I had my gallbladder removed two weeks ago- post operative recovery normal.

But, I am increasingly getting severe upper abdominal pain along with pain in my back under both ribs and between shoulder blades. Doctors dont know why- all my tests are normal.
Why is this happening? Sometimes the pain is so bad it feels like the gallstones reappearing!

Please advise - do I need another scope?

Louise
i had a lap chole oct 97 at age 25.  very healthy male.

pains continued several months later.  i've had several
doctors since then.  The latest explanation are stones
that originate elsewhere and are stopping in tubes that
connect my liver and stomach (forgive me for not knowing
the techincal terms).  Doctor performed procedure where
he sent a tube down throat into stomach, found the hole,
found stones, removed stones, made hole larger.  He told
me this may have to be done again in the future.  I've
also been on a drug called actigall which supposedly
breaks down stones making them easier to "pass" or go
wherever they need to go.  

Certainly possible that my gall bladder did not need to
be removed...

Beware.

Also, when stones cause blockage, it's not clear to me
what exactly happens.  An "attack" for me is a pain
originating in the upper right quadrant of my stomach
and then spreading across chest -- exactly where the liver
is -- hence an attack on the liver.  It is always
accompanied by pains in my lower back which i always
thought were muscle pains, but my doctor said it is
most likely my pancreas yelling about something.  When
i have an "attack" i can take pain killers but vicodin
or percocet doesn't always make everything better. As
silly as it sounds, the best thing for me is drinking
some form of simple sugars -- gatorade for example.
i think the sugars help the liver deal with the attack
and makes the pain go away for me -- of course this
does nothing for the stones wherever they are...
When i have repeated attacks then i get really sick
for several days and try to eat as little as possible.

My attacks only happen about once very 4 months or so.

Ruth, Sounds to me like you have a bile duct injury from your laproscopy procedure.  Why don't you suggest this to your doctor as they are not very likely to mention that it could be a possibility, from my experience. Louise, this could be your problem also, it happens 1 in 300 operations.
I had my gallbladder removed in August of 99. Still have alot of pain at the incision site and also alot of itching. I have went back to the Dr. quite a few times complaining abut this to no avail, he says everything looks great. I also would just like to say if I had it to do over I probably would not. My problem was it was not functioning properly. I still have the same type pain and the nasuea I had prior to surgery.
How can SO many people have post lap surgery pain with no answers from the doctors?  I had my gall bladder removed in 1991 and continued to experience pressure under my right rib and pain from there radiating around to my back.  The pain (or more like "discomfort") was more frequent during the first 3 years until today.  I had what felt exactly like a gall bladder attack.  Ultrasound showed no stones; liver and pancreas were fine.  My mother had the same surgery 3 years ago and continues to have trouble with discomfort.  Not having the surgery wasn't an option -- the pain was so severe, but we would certainly like to understand why we continue to have pain and discomfort.
I am suprised at how many people are suffering like me.
The initial pain which forced me to the ER was so bad I was wishing to pass out. After a number of scans; my Gallbladder was removed two days later. (stones? maybe, I didn't see any). I was home after a long weekend.

Two weeks later I was back in the hospital with exactly the same excruciating pain. I was given an ERCP. Just before I was administered the anaesthetic one of the nurses said, "I hope this one goes well?" I should have got up and walked out then... Immediately after this procedure, I developed severe acute Pancreatitis. I nearly died. Now, I am out of Hospital but still in pain. It is only a couple of months since my release, so I thought it would only be a matter of time before I would return to normal...normal? I suppose, without an organ...our bodies will not be the same.
I was told, just prior to surgery, that the Gallbladder was as necessary as the appendix? What is the reality? Right now My body feels like it is missing something. Right now I am in pain. I have an appointment coming up but. . .
I am glad to be alive, but don't like the uncertainty of this 'condition'. Good luck...
Hello, everyone! I need your FEEDBACK!

I had what I would consider after reading this messajes, a mild attack a year ago, July '99. I would say that it was mild because it dissapeared after 30 minutes, and it was more an uncomfortable feeling of being nauseus, feeling like a presure in the bottom of my chest box and weekness.

A catscan, showed a gall bladder stone of about 3.5 cm in diametre. I was received by a surgeon in September of '99 and schduled for an operation on June 2000.  Since my first attack, I have had only 3 other similar attacks, and since January of this year, I have been feeling well and I have not have any other attack. (I was taking some homeopatic medication for a while back in January and February).

However, I do have a back pain between my shoulder blades that I never really thought could be related to my gall bladder (and the doctors never told me) until reading many of these comments, but even that pain is not intolerable. With massajes and muscle relaxants I could handle it well.

However, today, I got a call from the hospital, to tell me that due to a cancellation I can have my surgery done next MONDAY, JULY 24, 2000. Today is Thursday, July 13. That does not give me much time to really find out what other alternatives or post-operatory side effects I could expect or experience.

If I don't do the surgery next Monday, another 8 months could go by. I called the surgeon because it seems unusual and I feel uncomfortable, that I should go directly to surgery without some pre-operatory consultation. After all, it has been almost 9 months since I last saw the specialist.

On the one hand, I heard some people telling me that is better to have now the surgery than to wait until I get really sick and an emergency operation is needed. But I am also afraid that if I go through the surgery at this time, I might end up with more pain than what I have now. I am a woman in her 40's and generally, I am in good health.

And then I wonder if there is people out there that have known to have gall bladder stones for years and have managed to live what it could be a "normal" life...

I will appreciate hearing some of your suggestions and experiences, from ALL sides, those who have had a negative experience, as well as those who have had a positive post-surgery experience... but I will LOVE to hear from those who have learned to live... with their stones!

I NEED TO HEAR SOME OF YOUR VOICES! SOON!.... Please e-mail me your comments to ***@****

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
To Jim in Pittsburgh Feb.22,2000
I to went in for a severe gallbladder attack and they had to do old fashioned 8" incision which was performed Jan. 18,2000.  I to have no feeling below my incision but also experiencing pain, burning, itching that I can't scratch because it causes terrible pain. I seem to have more discomfort from where the drainage tube was ripped out and across my stomach inside where the tube was. I also can't were a belt from where they tried to do the scope. I hope you feel better soon.  I have been told by different people I should have recovered in 3 to 6 months, surgeon office said a year wonder what the truth is and if they know.  I also was told to eat anything I want how can that be when you have a part of you that helped digest your fat. I also have bouts of horrible painful diarrea (diarrhea).  
Does the medical profession really know or are we all guinea pigs for their research?
In conclusion my surgeon refuses to see me unless my primary doctor refers me. Who refuses to do a liver enzyme test doesn't feel its necessary.
I had my gallbladder removed laproscopically in early May this year and have had a horrible time since then. The first 3 weeks following surgery where the worst with extreme pain in the right upper quadrant especially when I would take a deep breath. I even went to the ER 2 weeks post-op due to severe pain, which they did a Cat Scan of the abdomen which revealed a small amount of inflammation around the surgical site which they said was probably expected. My diagnoses pre-op was acalculus choleycystitis(no stones just a dysfunctional gallbladder with ejection fraction of 23%). So my continued pain post-op could not be due to any remaining stones in the duct. I was put on Naprosyn an anti-inflammatory med after my visit to the er which has helped but if I don't take it I get extreme pain in the right abdomen under the right ribs. My doctor order liver function blood tests which where all normal and He did do a sed rate which measures inflammation and mine is almost double what it should be. So, my guess is that I still 11 weeks post-op have inflammation which is not normal. Does any out there have this type of problem? I am wondering if it could be my body's reaction to the titanium clips that where left in to clamp the cysic duct. Any ideas? This is crazy to still be having this much pain. Any insight would be great.
hi everyone.  I had open gallbladder surgery on July 19, 2000.  Its been 5 weeks since my surgery.  I was just wondering if anyone else had the open surgery and can tell me what I should expect in the near future as far as healing and pain management. My doctor tells me I will have pain for at least 2 weeks following surgery, but I am still having trouble laying on either side.  Sometimes I also have a burning sensation in my abdomen area that I cannot seem to pinpoint.  It seems to radiate to different parts of my incision line.  I have a 9 1/2 inch incision on below my last rib and another 5 inch incision starting below my umbilicus and continuing above.  My doctor tried using the scope for my surgery,  but couldn't see,  therefore I had to have open surgery.  I would just like to hear from those that have had the open surgery and give me your thoughts about pain and incisional pain.  Thanks
A related discussion, gallstone was started.
Hello everyone, (this story has a happy ending) my girlfriend was suffering from the exact same symptoms as all of you, sharp pain in right shoulder, burning pain under rib, numbness whole right side, the worst of the worst. I stayed by her the whole time and was like many of you who suffered by seeing our loved ones suffer. So I started to research, this was just before her first hida scan and after ct scans, blood work a milloion times, everyone saying she's crazy. I figured out that this was something with her gallbladder. 2 days later doc says she has 3% bile pass. Before she can even see the surgeon and a little while after a plate of wheat pancacks, I have to take her to the e.r. After alot of crying and morphine, they take out her gallbladder. They released her that day and after eating some crackers, she goes right bAck into the same pain. So I did more reasearch and found the "ciliac" syndrome, it may be listed above, thank you very much if it is. Anyway, while she said eveything was throbbing I touched her gland under her right jaw and she cried even harder, that's when I realized that she was having an alergic (allergic) reaction. (I saw someone have a reaction to peanuts) I gave her 2 benadryl and after a few minutes she said the throbbing and dizziness has gone down.  I Researched some more and found out about how glutens can over time, make your gallbladder shut down or get stones. I looked at the cracker box and sure enough, wheat. What happens is kids go to the doctor with all these symptoms and the doctors just come up with something and let you wither in pain for ages, while they go on eating food you would never know had gluten and no one makes a connection. After a while, the gallbladder goes and nothing happens. If you want to test yourself, then the next time you have an attack, feel your glands, if they're swelled, then that's probably your problem. I asked the surgeon about ciliac and he had no idea. once you put two and two together you'll realize that many doctors and surgeons need a slap. I also realized that this affects women alot more than men. I hope this helps you because my reasearch saved my girlfriend from alot of heartache. Oh, we also talked to a girl who went through this and she gave us alot of advice, she said reading lables and just knowing what to look for will save your life.
A related discussion, post op cholectomey problems was started.
A related discussion, post gallstone surger pain was started.
A related discussion, Is this normal or the exception was started.
Well i have my gallbladder remove did have some pain after the surgery but with the help of some pain pills am doing fine but my worry now its five days the surgery but still if i go to use the number 2 nothing comes I've been eating a lot of fruits, drinking a lot of water and juice with cereals, what may be causing that.
Musa
A related discussion, Pain in right arm and back after lap cholecystectomy was started.
A related discussion, Still in pain was started.