Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Post-Nissen and vomiting

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Post-Nissen and vomiting

I had a Nissen Fundo exactly 2 months ago. My heartburn and asthma have virtually disappeared, and I am able to burp a little. I am very happy with the results, but have a question regarding vomiting. Last night, I was sick to my stomach and got the "heaves." Due to my operation, I am apparently unable to vomit. This scares me! What do I do if I'm sick with the flu n the future? Do I go to the ER? Today, I had a small bowl movement which was black and tarry--indicative of bleeding. Should I be worried? I am not experiencing any pain, but am concerned. Thank you! Q
Hi - I had the Nissen Funduplication surgery in September of 1995.  It took a few months before I was able to vomit but have since had the flu and had no problems.  I think your ability to vomit will disappear in time.  But if it will put your mind at ease, I would suggest that you contact your surgeon and check with them.  Best of luck to you.
I had the Nissan surgery over a year ago with no heartburn what so ever.My problem too like you is I cannot seem to vomit at all.When I feel like I need to vomit I get the dry heaves so bad I feel like I am going to pee my pants.Another big problem is not burping unless I force myself to.Since I cannot burp I have really bad and foul gas and terrible bloating.I can hardly eat anything without bloating up.I was wondering if you know of any medications there is for the gas and bloating.I'm so happy I found someone with the same operation and non vomiting like myself.Please let me know if you have any changes.Thanks
Concerning fundoplication - Many people are not able to vomit afterwards, or have a really good burp, I am one of those.  If you get a virus, you must call your doctor immediately and request a prescription drug.
I had the Nissan wrap done in 1995 and have not been able to vomit or burp since..you have to be careful not to injure yourself trying to vomit..talk to your Doc. I have developed a gas/bloat problem since the operation.. I am really unsure if I would do the operation again if I had the choice again.