Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Post Op Gallbladder Problems

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Post Op Gallbladder Problems

I had my gallbladder removed on February 13, 1998 after it was
  found to have a cyst in it and I was having symptoms of severe
  pain.  However, this did not stop my symptoms.  I have severe
  chest and upper back pain, along with pain in the right side
  up under the rib cage, also a soar mid section, cramps and a
  in my bowel patterns, including loose orange stool and cramping
  especially after eating.
  The surgeon ran several post op test and everything was negative.
  I have since had an EGD, which found Ulcers in the esophagus.
  My question is, could this cause the pain in the rib area and the
  bowel problems, or could I have developed IBS from the surgery?
Dear KS,
I found your letter very interesting.  Not all pains on the right side under the ribs are due to gall bladder disease.  Other participants in this Forum have a similar history to your: right rib region pain that is not improved by gall bladder surgery.  Your current symptoms of pain and change in bowel pattern can be the result of several different diseases.  It is unlikely that all your symptoms are related to the esophageal ulcers. You should discuss with your physician whether an evaluation of the small intestine and colon would be helpful.
This response is offered for your general information and should not replace the conclusions drawn from a careful and complete evaluation by your physician.

If you wish to be seen at our institution, Henry Ford Hospital, please call our PHYSICIAN REFERRAL LINE at(313) 876-2393 and request consultation with Dr Fogel, one of our experts in the diagnosis and treatment of abdominal pains.
*keywords: abdominal pain, irritable bowel disease, cholecystectomy