Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Post Total Collectomy Surgery

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Post Total Collectomy Surgery

11 yrs ago, I had "J" pouch surgery to replace my colon.  I take 4mg Loperamide each morning.  I have a healthy lifestyle and diet.  I no longer have access to the surgeon that performed the surgery.  I have 8+ bowel movements daily.  It is gassy (loud) and strong odored.  Q: What if any medications, suppliments, foods can help eliminate the inconvenience and embarassment of this post surgery effect?
The comments below make sense - I would agree with that approach.  The elimination diet has typically been a reasonable step to help with the symptoms.  

Other medications to help with the diarrhea in addition to the loperamide would be lomotil or tylenol #3 (with codeine).  The last two are prescription medications and may be discussed with your personal physician.

Fiber supplements are also used to help bulk up the stool and reduce diarrhea.  The fiber is meant to absorb some of this extra moisture and make the stool thicker.

If the diarrhea continues, then endoscopy - such as a flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy - can be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
raiderrp,

you might want to check out the site:  www.j-pouch.org  which has a discussion board and chat and other info.  

as an ileostomate, I know that certain foods can cause lots of gas and pretty much, the way it goes in is the way it smells on the way out.  something you might want to do is an elimination diet to figure out what might be causing problems.  an elimination diet is where you cut out of your diet something you think might be the culprit.  keep it out of your diet for at least a week (10-14 days is what I've done), see if you start to feel better and then slowly reindroduce it.

some over the counter products you can try are things like GasX, to help reduce the gas or Lactaid tablets in case you've developed a lactose intolerance.  if you can't find culprits in your diet, definitely talk to your doc.  there are some other things that could be the problem, like small bowel overgrowth.

good luck